Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
Online or in general?

I only have one registered friend so far and we haven't been able to catch up to play yet. So do you mean that when you select "Friends" it matches you up with your friends as well as random players?

That would be stupid if that's the case.

Offline right now, i haven't tried online yet -- my connection is a POS and times out too often. Anyways, There's no way to play just a 4 player race or less race. It always throws the computer into the mix. And battle mode SUCKS offline -- I'm assuming it would be OK online.

I just want to race friends locally, not friends and the computer.

<]=)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
It puts a CPU in if you have less than 4 human players? 'cuz I played in a 3 player match before.

Sorry I don't know what you mean :eek:

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
There's options?!

I was just playing online racing against a guy that kept winning regardless of what I did. We were on Dry Dry Ruins and on the last two turns this guy got hit by a blue shell so I flew by him, but then suddenly I see him zooming across the sand and he takes first. How does this happen?? He just got hit by a blue shell so it's not like he had a mushroom to use across the sand, so how did he fly by me?

I got him back on the next race, but mine was legitimate. Ish. ;) We were on the last lap of Moo Moo Meadows and I hit this guy with a red shell and then promptly ran in to a Moo Moo! That put me back in to third and then I got slammed by a red shell and a starman. My last chance was the last set of ? boxes and I got a Giant Mushroom! I just went straight across all the hills along the left side of the track and cut this guy off at the finish line. It was great! :)

It's the small things in life. :D

asxtb

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2005
I was able to really play a Wii for the first time at my nephew's house this last weekend. I mostly played Mario Kart and I must say I really enjoyed it. The steering wheel controls were really easy and a lot of fun to use. Definitely a game to pick up if you have a Wii. Just not worth the $300 bucks for me to get it though. ;)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Jeez, I wish I could have got a Wii and Mario Kart for $300/£150, Wii's alone are £180!

Finding 150cc very hard. I'm determined to unlock everything though! Nintendo's got a knack at making you want to 100% games... Well at least in previous Mario Karts and Smash Bros!

cycocelica

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
Redmond, WA
I have had this game for a couple of days now. I have to say this game SUCKS! Totally ruins Kart for me. N64 Kart was great. It was basic, simple gameplay. This game has taken the fun out of it. Why I hate this game right now:

1. WAY too many places that can slow you down. This game is a race, I shouldn't be slowed down

2. You have to slide around corners way too much. Whatever happened to just turning around a corner. This seems almost impossible now, and you slide into walls and out of bounds way too much. I remember when sliding around a corner meant skill and speed boost, not everyone can do it, but you HAVE to do it.

3. Too much use of the mushroom boost. If I am in last, I don't want three mushrooms or a golden mushroom, mainly because you won't make it around a corner. But I want something that will slow other down, like it used to be. Give me lightening, three red shells, or the bullet.

4. Prize cubes take too long to regenerate. Prizes play a huge role in the game, and can make or break the game, which adds excitement. They used to appear pretty rapidly giving all players an equal chance. Now if you don't get their first, you probably won't get a prize cube

5. Going along with prizes, getting prizes taken away after something bad happens to you is annoying. Why would it do that? What fun is that?

6. Why can't you determine if bikes should be allowed in 150cc? Yeah I could play 50cc and win every time using a kart, but I want a challenge and bikes are just annoying.

7. Why can't you keep drifting on the part that slows you down? Wouldn't it make sense to be able to, in hopes of getting off?

So in turn, this game is just not as fun as it used to be. The online part is cool, but the game sucks, so it doesn't matter.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I have had this game for a couple of days now. I have to say this game SUCKS! Totally ruins Kart for me. N64 Kart was great. It was basic, simple gameplay. This game has taken the fun out of it. Why I hate this game right now:

1. WAY too many places that can slow you down. This game is a race, I shouldn't be slowed down

I agree.

2. You have to slide around corners way too much. Whatever happened to just turning around a corner. This seems almost impossible now, and you slide into walls and out of bounds way too much. I remember when sliding around a corner meant skill and speed boost, not everyone can do it, but you HAVE to do it.

You don't have to slide round corners but it helps. The game has gone from a casual racer (64 version at least) to something that requires a little more skill. Wheelies, miniboosts all require practice to pull off.

3. Too much use of the mushroom boost. If I am in last, I don't want three mushrooms or a golden mushroom, mainly because you won't make it around a corner. But I want something that will slow other down, like it used to be. Give me lightening, three red shells, or the bullet.
When I'm near the back I usually get the 3 red shells or Bullet. Rarely get the Pow block, never had the lightning! I've jumped up from 12th to 2nd or 3rd with a well placed Golden mushroom. But I agree the normal mushrooms don't really help much.

4. Prize cubes take too long to regenerate. Prizes play a huge role in the game, and can make or break the game, which adds excitement. They used to appear pretty rapidly giving all players an equal chance. Now if you don't get their first, you probably won't get a prize cube

Never really noticed this, they regenerate in about 3-5 seconds.

5. Going along with prizes, getting prizes taken away after something bad happens to you is annoying. Why would it do that? What fun is that?

I agree. Might be part of the balancing though, say you're at the back and someone in front has a red shell - get a Pow block so you get ahead and they launch the red shell? Not so good.

6. Why can't you determine if bikes should be allowed in 150cc? Yeah I could play 50cc and win every time using a kart, but I want a challenge and bikes are just annoying.

It's all about practice/training. Karts are easy to use so they're in 50cc. Bikes are a little tougher to get right so they're on the harder difficulty. 150cc is where it all opens up and you can use what you were best at.

7. Why can't you keep drifting on the part that slows you down? Wouldn't it make sense to be able to, in hopes of getting off?

I agree, but in a bike you can pull a wheelie in them situations.
So in turn, this game is just not as fun as it used to be.
I don't agree :p

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
MK Wii is a game of partial-skill. :p

My favorite Kart is still the DS version, then the SNES. I never finished the N64 or Cube versions. This version is loads of fun, I just had to find the dam options.

Which tracks are slowing you down? MK has lots of tricks to master and shortcuts. Half of the tracks are from every other Kart game and the new ones have their share of simple loop tracks.

It still takes skill to slide corners; hence you wouldn't be sliding out of bounds and into the walls. :eek: It all depends on your cart or bike. Bikes handle way better btw and can make many corners without sliding. I haven't tried automatic mode, but I won't since it takes away my option to control the slide.

Those items are still an option, it's just random.

I don't know about online, but offline play lets you choose the game's balance of how it handle items when playing with friends. I'm assuming it would be the same.

Muahahahhahaaaaa. :) I usually get there first, if not there's plenty of other tricks to keep things going. I'm a sliding maniac!

Nothing new to the Kart series.

You can. Just choose setup or options before you start the race. I'm assuming online has a similar option? I know that offline I can determine this in Grand Prix mode and multiplayer mode.

It's been this way since the SNES version?

The only thing I would change about this version, is free-for-all Battle Mode and 2 player Grand Prix local play.

Your opinion. To me it sounds like you need practice. ;)

<]=)

tbmx

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2006
There's options?!

I was just playing online racing against a guy that kept winning regardless of what I did. We were on Dry Dry Ruins and on the last two turns this guy got hit by a blue shell so I flew by him, but then suddenly I see him zooming across the sand and he takes first. How does this happen?? He just got hit by a blue shell so it's not like he had a mushroom to use across the sand, so how did he fly by me?

He could have used the burnout boost. If you hold A+B from a dead stop you can get full boost relatively quickly. Combined with a wheelie (if on a bike) I could see it happening. He may have been using a kart/bike that was good at offroad as well.

Regarding no local 2 player grand prix... Isn't that virtually the same as setting the multi-player race options to play through a full cup? Granted it doesn't unlock anything... but you're still competing on points over four races.

CrazyLazyMan

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2008
There's options?!

I got him back on the next race, but mine was legitimate. Ish. ;) We were on the last lap of Moo Moo Meadows and I hit this guy with a red shell and then promptly ran in to a Moo Moo! That put me back in to third and then I got slammed by a red shell and a starman. My last chance was the last set of ? boxes and I got a Giant Mushroom! I just went straight across all the hills along the left side of the track and cut this guy off at the finish line. It was great! :)

It's the small things in life. :D

I have a buddy who knows exactly how you feel. I was playing online with him last weekend and he was getting hammered all the time. Of course I was too but it was the first time I had played the game so that was expected. He could not control himself either. I swear he was gonna put the wii wheel through the wall. It was quite amusing actually. Just keep practicing and you'll get the hang of it. That's what I'm doing.

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
Almost 9000 points on WFC vs. :)

I'm actually doing quite well online, but I've been noticing something weird lately. Has anyone here seen people fall off the edge of a track only to instantly reappear back on the track at full speed? I've noticed this multiple times, primarily on Wario's Gold Mine and (of course) Rainbow Road.

Is this a glitch of some sort, or is it a button trick to make you reappear back on the track?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I only have about 6500 points on mine :eek:

Really love this game now. It's so easy to just boot up, go on Wifi and get into a game within a couple of minutes. This is what Nintendo's online should always be like.

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
Almost 9000 points on WFC vs. :)

I'm actually doing quite well online, but I've been noticing something weird lately. Has anyone here seen people fall off the edge of a track only to instantly reappear back on the track at full speed? I've noticed this multiple times, primarily on Wario's Gold Mine and (of course) Rainbow Road.

I see that all the time. Its annoying when you just manage to push someone off (I enjoy doing that :p), but a second later you see them ahead of you. wtf!?

My Wi-Fi score has been at about 7100, but yesterday fell back down to 6600. :(

Also, there's a a Mario Kart Wii Friend Code thread now.

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
I see that all the time. Its annoying when you just manage to push someone off (I enjoy doing that :p), but a second later you see them ahead of you. wtf!?

WTF is right. Heh.

I had this happen to me yesterday on Wario's Gold Mine. A fellow racer and I were battling each other throughout the entire race, bumping in to each other and trying to knock the other one off. I finally managed to bump him off on a tight turn we were taking towards the end, but suddenly he's right back in front of me at full speed!

Then a blue shell hit him and I took first with him finishing fourth. That's what you get for cheating! :)

mrwindup

macrumors member
May 12, 2008
Mario Kart Wii is not as great as the earlier editions, but I find myself reminiscing about the nostalgia of the game more than anything.

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
I'm about to throw this game out the window, get in the car, drive over it 10 times, douse it in lighter fluid and set it ablaze! :mad:

It seems the more points I get the more unfair the items get. I just lost !!389!! points in a single race because I got hit with THREE blue shells on the last turn of Bowsers Castle, and I was in fourth after the second one, so I know I wasn't in first when they launched it!!

Stupid game. It takes me forever to get any points since I only get about 30 points for first in a full game. Now I'm back down to 9300. Grr!

So this thread was pretty buried, does anyone play Mario Kart anymore?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
At least an hour every day, even got my parents playing it :D

Right now I'm getting quite good. I float between 7000-7500 points, always use the Mii and Standard Bike M. Only missing about 4 characters now and a few of the final karts and bikes.

Some guy was clearly cheating earlier! Everyone left the game because of him. His character animation was fixed so he was sticking his arms out, and on Bowsers Castle (my fave track) he was behind me all the way but somehow when the scoreboard came up he had come first (with 8500 points). Was quite a way from me too, by the time I crossed the line he was still on the final spiral bit near the 3 thwomps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.