Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In the first edition of his new Power On newsletter for Bloomberg, Mark Gurman said Apple is exploring future iPads with larger displays, although he added that a potential release is likely at least a few years away if ever.

iPad-More-Than-12.9-Inches-Feature.jpg

An excerpt from Gurman's newsletter, which also covers some reshuffling of the Apple Car team, Peloton working on a heart rate monitor, and more:
I'm told that Apple has engineers and designers exploring larger iPads that could hit stores a couple of years down the road at the earliest. They're unlikely for next year—with Apple's attention on a redesigned iPad Pro in the current sizes for 2022—and it's possible they never come at all. But a big iPad would be the perfect device for many people, including me, and would continue to blur the lines between tablet and laptop.
The current iPad Pro comes in 11-inch and 12.9-inch display sizes. In a previous Bloomberg report, Gurman and Debby Wu said Apple is testing a new iPad Pro with a glass back that would support wireless charging for release in 2022.

Larger display sizes would help further blur the lines between the iPad Pro and the MacBook Pro, which is available with up to a 16-inch display. However, many customers still believe iPadOS does not take full advantage of the iPad Pro's hardware, and Gurman opined that Apple ultimately needs to allow Mac apps and Mac-like multitasking with more flexible arrangements of app windows on the iPad Pro.

Apple last updated the iPad Pro in April with its custom-designed M1 chip, Thunderbolt support, 5G connectivity on cellular models, a mini-LED display on the 12.9-inch model, up to 2TB of storage, up to 16GB of RAM, and more.

Article Link: Mark Gurman: Apple Exploring iPads With Larger Displays

Last edited:

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
How about one's which run in 24 and 30 inch flavors. That run macOS instead of iPad OS. Mounted on a large base which allow a wide range of tilts all the way to full horizontal. Making for a great competitor for the Surface Studio.

Also with a 500W battery. So, it can be used as a luggable device. Also charged at night and used full wireless for people obsessed with no wires at their desk.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I feel like maybe 12.0" and 14.0" Pros might be optimal, given the direction Apple is taking the Pro line, but larger than 14" probably moves it out of iPad territory into a completely new touch desktop paradigm. Moreover, I would say the more urgent screen size question is around MacBooks, more options between 15.4" and 17.3" would dramatically improve the lineup. The 13.3" screen size is starting to feel like the 4" iPhone 5s in 2013/14, it's ok for a portability focused machine like the Air, but out of place for the Pros. a 15" Machine can be very light and compact, as several Windows competitors have demonstrated.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I'll be honest - I found the original 12.9" iPad Pro too large to use so I swapped it for the 10.5" model when it came out.

I intended to go with the 11" in 2018, but shrinking the bezels of the 12.9" made a quantifiable difference for me in terms of usability so I bought it and have really enjoyed it.

So for me, 14" or larger will be a no-go, but if it works for others, more power to you as long as I still have a ~13" option.

Trenches

Suspended
Mar 31, 2021
How about one's which run in 24 and 30 inch flavors. That run macOS instead of iPad OS. Mounted on a large base which allow a wide range of tilts all the way to full horizontal. Making for a great competitor for the Surface Studio.

Also with a 500W battery. So, it can be used as a luggable device. Also charged at night and used full wireless for people obsessed with no wires at their desk.
Surprised they didn’t just make the new iMac like this. They went thin enough to.

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
"Introducing the Apple iPad Studio.

Oooops. Sorry, Microsoft. This time we copied you. Turn about's fair play."

OT, but I've always asked myself this question, and the picture makes it quite clear:

How are you supposed to ergonomically reach the top half of the screen?

If I'm working on a flat surface with a pen, I can't have the working area start a foot away from the edge of the desk. And if I use it vertically, I really want it 2-3 feet away.

I feel like if I had such a convertible, I'd always be pulling and pushing it to the proper distance …

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I dunno, maybe because macOS is meant for a mouse and keyboard?
Was meant.
iOS was meant for fingertips, not apple pencils. And it was meant for a phone, not an ipad. And yet here we are.

OS X has and continues to work fine with touch displays once you get to about 15" and up. You just need another couple-few thousand dollars and a ton of desk space to have it. When in defense of the iPad, Apple's marketing dept defensively stated a decade ago that the only sensible options are MacOS=Mouse and iOS=fingerfood, it was already ridiculously shortsighted, late, and foolish, but suited their purposes at the time. The static thinking required to state that interaction methods have achieved such perfection with an old typewriter keyboard and pointy stick, or fingerpainting, that there will never be any improvements or fundamental changes beyond them is outrageous.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Was meant.
iOS was meant for fingertips, not apple pencils. And it was meant for a phone, not an ipad. And yet here we are.

OS X has and continues to work fine with touch displays once you get to about 15" and up. You just need another couple-few thousand dollars and a ton of desk space to have it. When in defense of the iPad, Apple's marketing dept defensively stated a decade ago that the only sensible options are MacOS=Mouse and iOS=fingerfood, it was already ridiculously shortsighted, late, and foolish, but suited their purposes at the time. The static thinking required to state that interaction methods have achieved such perfection with an old typewriter keyboard and pointy stick, or fingerpainting, that there will never be any improvements or fundamental changes beyond them is outrageous.
iOS started on the iPad, the phone was developed off that but ended up coming to market first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.