Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is moving forward on development of its mixed-reality headset with Pegatron set to be the exclusive partner for final assembly, according to DigiTimes. Based on the headset's current status in the manufacturing validation process, the report predicts that mass production is likely to begin in March 2023 with an unveiling possibly being held the following month.

apple-mixed-reality-headset-mockup-feature-blue.jpg

Initial production is said to be very limited, with a high price point limiting Apple's first headset mainly to commercial markets.
Industry sources stated this XR headset mainly targets the commercial markets. The price is higher and the shipment quantity is limited. Previous estimates said that the annual shipment for this device would reach 2.5 million units. However, right now, rough estimates placed the annual shipment at around 0.7 to 0.8 million units. For supply chain manufacturers that benefit from quantity, this is not a particularly profitable order.
Despite low profitability on production of the initial headset, Apple's manufacturing partners are said to be willing to work with Apple on the project to prove their technical capabilities so they will be well positioned for future AR/VR products. Apple's brand recognition also makes it easier for the firms to raise money in capital markets to fund their activities.

Apple has been working on augmented reality, virtual reality, and mixed reality headsets for a number of years, but has reportedly faced some development struggles that have slowed its progress. While earlier rumors had suggested Apple might show off the headset at some point during 2022, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said in June that Apple would likely target a January 2023 introduction.

Today's report from DigiTimes may not necessarily significantly differ from Kuo's, as Kuo suggested that pre-orders would not begin until the second quarter of 2023 with shipments beginning by WWDC in June.

Consequently, both Kuo and DigiTimes appear to be citing similar time frames for mass production, with differences in expected introduction timing (January for Kuo and April for DigiTimes) coming down to Apple's preference for how much lead time to give developers before the headset begins shipping.

Article Link: Mass Production of Apple's Mixed-Reality Headset Said to Begin in March 2023

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
A January event for this still makes sense — they need to get this in the hands of developers, so being available by the third quarter would work out to give developers time before WWDC.

I also think they are vastly underestimating interest in this product — guessing they will be backordered for many months.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I’ll only get it if it looks exactly like that drawing that looks like it was scanned from a napkin and colored in MS Paint.

But seriously, I think this could be huge or lead to something huge. I’m eager for the intro. I hope it’s in January.

Reactions: Kierkegaarden

BGPL

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2016
California
I'm really excited to see where Apple is going to take AR/VR. Having said that, I will not be purchasing the 1.0 version. I'll wait and watch and get the second edition, by then there will be many more applications, games, etc.

Reactions: Donfor39

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
I wonder if they tease it and announce specs / target hardware for developers first. They could announce that and release an emulator that runs handily on a new Mac Pro in early 2032. That would let them reveal the full hardware at WWDC and pave the way for a release a few months later?

I mean who knows if there are some big developers running projects with impenetrable NDAs right now, or if they're gonna just Field Of Dreams this new product category.

At the very least I'd hope they're making sure any App that already takes advantage of the AR and LIDAR features of current iPhones and iPads will just run seamlessly on the headset.

Reactions: james2538

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Hopefully, it’s not going to be overly priced. Ready to see what Apple has been working on.
Hopefully, it's a giant leap ahead of anything else on the market. And if that means pricey, fine. It's got to be the winning product for high end scientific, technical, medical, and other professional applications, because that's where the market will be in 2023 and 2024. You won't be playing Pokemon Go Metaverse with this until late in the decade.

Skyscraperfan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2021
Mass production starts just one month before it is revealed? Would that make sense? Or will it just be revealed and sales start six months later?

Skyscraperfan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2021
I see VR just as a way to inject ads into my view. I will never wear such stuff in public, even if it will be considered "normal" one day. Some things will always look strange even if millions of people use them. For example those AirPods sticking out of people's ears. Those are things people will find very awkward when they look at photos of 2022 in a few decades.

Reactions: TheLunaPark

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
The iPod and iPhone are huge success because they’re solving the problems/annoyances of their respective existing categories, portable music player and mobile phone. AR/VR is not solving anything right now nor is even an category, and has no practical use in consumer world. HTC has been working on it for how long? It’s extreme niche and only in specific industries where it garner some usage. Even Microsoft didn’t go anywhere with its holo lens, arguably one of the better ones out there. With Meta pouring billions in it while their stock is tanking, I personally don’t see Apple jumping into it anytime soon.

An Apple car is probably more feasible than this.

Having said that, Apple did put out a ton of devices with LiDAR sensors already out there, and we have yet seen any significant use out of it other than shopping for IKEA furniture. We’ll see.

Kottu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2014
So, probably from next year celebrities gonna look like Scuba divers. Definitely someone will redesign it with diamonds and gold

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Yawn - boring. The whole AR/VR thing has been rumored for years and it is still a niche product. Zuckerberg has gambled on it too soon. Who even uses the AR features on their iPhone/iPad? Not many.

The iPod and iPhone are huge success because they’re solving the problems/annoyances of their respective existing categories, portable music player and mobile phone. AR/VR is not solving anything right now nor is even an category, and has no practical use in consumer world. HTC has been working on it for how long? It’s extreme niche and only in specific industries where it garner some usage. Even Microsoft didn’t go anywhere with its holo lens, arguably one of the better ones out there. With Meta pouring billions in it while their stock is tanking, I personally don’t see Apple jumping into it anytime soon.

An Apple car is probably more feasible than this.

Having said that, Apple did put out a ton of devices with LiDAR sensors already out there, and we have yet seen any significant use out of it other than shopping for IKEA furniture. We’ll see.
Just FYI- the usefulness of AR is extremely limited on a small screen you have to hold. It truly shines in an HUD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.