Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prime17569

macrumors regular
May 26, 2021
It seems rather odd that Apple would want to release the Pro product first instead of the regular one. Would the iPhone have been so successful if they had released a Pro version first? I think not.

In any case, if Apple wants to make a splash in the AR market, I think that a $2000 price tag is probably too high, especially for a first-generation model. But it remains to be seen what the product will do to justify that price tag.

ThisIsMike

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2007
I am not an avid follower of everything Apple but I am curious to know when was the last time, if there ever has been one that there has been so much public talk about an Apple device, about what it is supposed to do, it's design looks, it's tech specs but yet there has been absolutly nothing to show for it until release day, because for a number of years now there has been much talk about this AR/VR devices mythical specs and it's looks and it's supposedly development and production but yet there has been nothing to show for it, no leaks, no actual specs, just guesses and assumptions. We are even told that Apple are now on version 2 of the device with version 1 not ever seeing the light of day. There was talk about senior executives being shown the device during it's alleged development stages and yet again nothing offically released about it.

How is it this AR/VR device has been getting so many 'if's','maybe's','probably' and so much forum air time that nobody outside of Apple knows anything concret about the device? If such a device exists and early development sets were shown to Apple executives then why wasn't the device given any air time on one of Apple's key note events? basically giving Apple users a teaser of what they can expect further down the road. But no, Apple ave done nothing. What's the betting that 'something' will happen and we are told 'alleged' production has stopped.

MR did a front page article a long long time ago about Apple executives being given the oppertunity to see development sets and if that was the case then Apple have had every oppertunity to show Apple users what they can expect but no, Apple have kept everything quiet. Therefore do people honestly believe that Apple does actually have an AR/VR device ready to be produced or is all this just fake talk from Apple and no such device actually exists.
Uhm - you don’t remember how long an iPhone was rumored and awaited? Or the watch? The first rumblings of those products were years ahead as well, and also met with similar skepticism in many cases. I remember theorizing about the watch from the moment people started modding the iPod nano to be worn around the wrist, and people would tell me the idea was ridiculous.

Reactions: Druggar

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
One way or another, there has to be a developer's kit that includes the headset - whether prototype or the real deal - so software can be developed for it, before wide release to the masses of long pigs.

philcourage

Suspended
Oct 27, 2022
Yawn - boring. The whole AR/VR thing has been rumored for years and it is still a niche product. Zuckerberg has gambled on it too soon. Who even uses the AR features on their iPhone/iPad? Not many.
Remember when they had LiDAR on the iPad Pro as a big feature? Good times.

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
So based on recent rumors, this is either delayed until 2024-2025 amid significant design challenges, or ramping up to mass production in four months?

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Uhm - you don’t remember how long an iPhone was rumored and awaited? Or the watch? The first rumblings of those products were years ahead as well, and also met with similar skepticism in many cases. I remember theorizing about the watch from the moment people started modding the iPod nano to be worn around the wrist, and people would tell me the idea was ridiculous.

but did both the original iphone and Apple watch recieve constant and persistant attention in the media before they were finally released because you have to remember that talk about Apples AR/VR device has been going on for a number of years now with persistant talk about it's specs, it's hardware, who's providing what hardware, conceptual designs, when it's going to be made, how many are going to be made, who it's going to be made for, it's price and it just goes on and on and on. Did the original iphone and Apple watch recieve the same level attention when from the first time they were mentioned to when they were physically produced? Also how many leaks were there during the time showing what the iphone was intended to look like and same for the Apple watch? because remember there has been NOTHING about the AR/VR (leaks I mean).

xnu

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2004
I am always excited about new products from Apple to learn what things I have given little thought about and realizing how much it will change my life afterward.

Druggar

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2021
Ecuador
I see VR just as a way to inject ads into my view. I will never wear such stuff in public, even if it will be considered "normal" one day. Some things will always look strange even if millions of people use them. For example those AirPods sticking out of people's ears. Those are things people will find very awkward when they look at photos of 2022 in a few decades.
Do you carry your PS console with you in public?

People, VR and AR are two different things. Apple is now lauching a VR headset that probably will be used for gaming (replacing a console), watching movies and sports (replacing your TV set) and work (replacing a computer).

When Apple eventually releases an AR glasses probably the technology will allow them to look like regular eyeglasses. Apple will NOT lauch a bulky weird thing like Google did years ago.

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
From these comments, there’s just so many people who don’t understand what the product is, or even what the segment is. And this is on a technology forum, so you can imagine how far off we are from the general public understanding.
Outside of entertainment and niche enterprise applications, I don't think this technology has any potential at all. It isn't solving any problems that the PC / Mac / iPod / iPhone / Apple Watch do.

citysnaps

macrumors G5
Oct 10, 2011
Too bad this wasn’t ready during the earlier days of the pandemic when everyone was flooded with cash and buying $5,000 pelotons. Now Apple will release their expensive headset during an inflationary and possibly recessionary period.

And it will still do extremely well.

elonmuskofficial

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2022
I see VR just as a way to inject ads into my view. I will never wear such stuff in public

You are crossing the road.

Virtual Ronald McDonald jumps in your way.

'Hello MF I have a special happy meal offer you can't refuse. Please turn around, walk 100m and get your discount meal now before the offer runs out'

And then you get hit by a confused Tesla.

• Haha
Reactions: KeepCalmPeople

DocMultimedia

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2012
Charlottesville, VA
"Mass production"? How many, twenty?

I'd buy one if I could watch live NFL games from anywhere on the field with them. Until then... Don't yet see a need for one of these for myself.

PauloSera

Suspended
Oct 12, 2022
The importance of AR cannot be overstated as Tim has called AR “critical” to Apple. “Critical” means it’s of vital importance thst the product is a success. This is why it will be bigger than iPhone.
That's fine, except Apple has dabbled in AR now for many, many years with nothing to show for it. ARKit came out 5 years ago. Granted, the biggest hangup for AR (so far) is that no one is going to use it for any length of time when they have to use their phone as a viewfinder. But even when doing that, their best example on the best hardware is very janky and not particularly convincing or blended.

And I should also remind you: this is not an AR product we're talking about. At best we're talking about a mixed reality product with some ability to incorporate AR into VR experiences. But make no mistake: this is a VR product for a VR experience. Something we've seen none of from Apple.

Once upon a time, the prospect of Apple revolutionizing the VR product would have excited me at the potential. Today? No. Not this Apple. Not the Apple we've had for the last 5+ years.

PauloSera

Suspended
Oct 12, 2022
I see VR just as a way to inject ads into my view. I will never wear such stuff in public, even if it will be considered "normal" one day. Some things will always look strange even if millions of people use them. For example those AirPods sticking out of people's ears. Those are things people will find very awkward when they look at photos of 2022 in a few decades.
Clearly the VR product is not the one meant to be used while walking around in public.

The AR glasses that are still a few years away are the interesting and potentially life-changing product that everyone will want to have (eventually).

PauloSera

Suspended
Oct 12, 2022
Mass production starts just one month before it is revealed? Would that make sense? Or will it just be revealed and sales start six months later?
Considering the nature of this product, I expect announcement with developer access in January, followed by mass production in March, followed by public availability April/May.

citysnaps

macrumors G5
Oct 10, 2011
That's fine, except Apple has dabbled in AR now for many, many years with nothing to show for it. ARKit came out 5 years ago. Granted, the biggest hangup for AR (so far) is that no one is going to use it for any length of time when they have to use their phone as a viewfinder. But even when doing that, their best example on the best hardware is very janky and not particularly convincing or blended.

That's because the underlying tech behind "the device" (my bet is on glasses) has taken that long to develop, to the point that Apple's device will pretty much blow away all the clunky realizations we've seen up until now. Take a look at what's been coming out of Stanford University's VR/AR laboratory, who Apple has been collaborating with for the last six years. Also...I believe Apple will have a lot of very useful AR apps on launch day.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Again, a lot of people are dismissing VR because the value is not immediately obvious. The same thing happened with Computers/iPhone.

To summarize:
- For the first time ever, XR will let people control their personal visual experience like headphones do for audio. Even subtle uses will have deep resonance.
- Distracting HUD's were never a good idea, just sci-fi eye-candy. Virtual objects seamlessly integrated into the real world is a much better approach.
- Version 1 might not look good in public but a version that does will come fast.
- It will take time to digest and realize its potential; just like most ground-breaking technologies.
Apple has been working towards Augmented Reality then Virtual Reality.

Whereas virtual reality replaces your vision, augmented reality adds to it. AR devices, such as the Microsoft HoloLens and various enterprise-level "smart glasses," are transparent, letting you see everything in front of you as if you are wearing a weak pair of sunglasses.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Based on the headset's current status in the manufacturing validation process, the report predicts that mass production is likely to begin in March 2023 with an unveiling possibly being held the following month.
important to note that the original iMac, the original Apple TV, the original iPhone, the original iPad, the original Apple Watch, the original AirPods, the original HomePod, and both the 2013/2019 Mac Pro+the 2017 iMac Pro were all announced months before they went into mass production.
If this is true and mass production is supposed to begin in March, I see it absolutely likely that Apple sticks to the “announce in January, release in June” strategy that Quo has been talking about for months.
Not only does it give Apple an entire six months to get the tools needed to develop for the product in developers hands, but it also decreases the importance of leaks coming out of mass production.
Who cares about leaks if Apple has already announced the thing?
Again, it’s been their strategy for all of their brand new products that need additional verification, and take longer to produce.
Steve even said it during the original iPhone Keynote out loud.

Last edited:
Reactions: Druggar and enc0re

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
according to DigiTimes. Based on the headset's current status in the manufacturing validation process, the report predicts that mass production is likely to begin in March 2023 with an unveiling possibly being held the following month.
For a brand new platform? I think Digtimes is wrong as usual here.

While I'm sure Apple has invited select developers and will have internal apps at the ready, I suspect this will be a "reveal" months ahead of actual release. No matter how good the headset may end up being, it needs content to sell -- even to a commercial audience.

And so many questions. Will Apple have a developer kit that helps developers convert apps made for other VR/AR devices easily? Developers need to be highly engaged and involved and selling ramping production and throwing it out into the wild without advance time to do that for a whole new platform would be insane, particularly at this level.

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008

And I should also remind you: this is not an AR product we're talking about. At best we're talking about a mixed reality product with some ability to incorporate AR into VR experiences. But make no mistake: this is a VR product for a VR experience. Something we've seen none of from Apple.

Once upon a time, the prospect of Apple revolutionizing the VR product would have excited me at the potential. Today? No. Not this Apple. Not the Apple we've had for the last 5+ years.
“Mixed reality” and AR are the same thing.

VR closes you of into an immersive experience.

AR *adds* to reality.

One of these is far more useful than the other, and it’s not the gaming-centric VR.

ARKit is there because Apple has built a wide foundation for whatever their future plans are. Everything is just ready to go and developers will have a much easier time making the 1st gen apps for RealityOS or whatever it’s called because of the work Apple has been building into all their platforms. There was never going to be anything to “release” from ARKit until THIS upcoming product.

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
Again, a lot of people are dismissing VR because the value is not immediately obvious. The same thing happened with Computers/iPhone.

To summarize:
- For the first time ever, XR will let people control their personal visual experience like headphones do for audio. Even subtle uses will have deep resonance.
- Distracting HUD's were never a good idea, just sci-fi eye-candy. Virtual objects seamlessly integrated into the real world is a much better approach.
- Version 1 might not look good in public but a version that does will come fast.
- It will take time to digest and realize its potential; just like most ground-breaking technologies.
I agree with you..... but think that will be more of a thing when they get it into a form factor like regular glasses. That tech already exists, but its years and years away for batter life and processing power to make it a product that goes to market. Though there are a few that are quite interesting.

This first offering won't be that or something someone will strap to their face and walk down the street.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.