Matte black + case beware.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kirkhuffy, Sep 27, 2016.

1. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Glass doesn't chip itself. Phone had to have been dropped or something banged into the glass.

2. sekazi macrumors 6502

Cases can do this. I have proof from previous iPhones I have at home. Do not have pictures right now though. First is an Apple bumper case for the iPhone 4 and the other is an Incipio with a complete rubber interior for the iPhone 5.

3. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

It looks like it scratched right at the edge of that case. Guess matte black is susceptible to this as well, just not as easy as jet black.

4. pdxmatts macrumors 68000

pdxmatts

I am sure that can happen, but I had my i5 slate/black in a case for a year and it doesn't have any scratches on it. My kids have had a case on their phones from day one and they are constantly taking it on and off because they keep their student ID's in it. Not one scratch yet.

5. MacTechnics macrumors 6502

I have a clear caseology case on mine and crap gets in there...I clean it out once in a while but not OCD-like. Not a scratch on my phone. Hmm. Something is fishy here. What case did you use? The Apple cases don't cover the bottom, so those are a no-go IMO.

6. michael9891 macrumors 65816

I've used the Apple leather case on my 6+ and 6s+ and some little bits do occasionally get inside the case. But after 12 months use on each one, I've not had a single mark on it. I can't see how after a few days use a phone would end up looking that bad. Surely someone has done this and not told you.

7. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Yikes...a little grit in the case did that?

I'm so sorry. But you're a good dude for posting this as a cautionary tale.

8. Pez555 macrumors 68020

Pez555

do you have a link to the case in question here. Bit hard to judge anything without seeing the actual case.

9. kirkhuffy thread starter macrumors regular

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IWU161Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    --- Post Merged, Sep 27, 2016 ---
    I appreciate you understanding my reasoning for posting this. I'm not trying to get sympathy or a replacement. Just saying be careful. I remember this was a big problem with the 5 too

10. michael9891 macrumors 65816

The edge reminds me of the Apple bumper I used on the 4S that they gave away because of 'antenna gate'. I found that over time, taking it on and off it did mark my phone. But not to that extent. Has anyone had acces to your phone?

11. kirkhuffy thread starter macrumors regular

Nope

12. sdwaltz macrumors 6502a

I completely believe this happened, but not for the reason you stated. There's no way a case can do that on its own. Some sand or something gritty had to have gotten in there and scratched it - there's just no other way.

13. MacTechnics macrumors 6502

I wonder if the material of that black bumper is too hard of a plastic...

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Remember we had a subset of Black and Slate iPhone with defective anodization coating where the black rubbed off like crazy. The OP could have simply gotten an unit with defective anodization coating, in which case it should be swapped out.

15. jedolley macrumors 68000

I'm not going to take anything away from the OP's experience... I believe this can happen, but do want to point out that this is not necessarily normal or to be expected.

I usually always go with a case and have had cheap and expensive cases and have never had one cause a scratch or damage. With that said, cases are not air tight and dust/debris can get in between the case and the phone which could cause scratches/damage to occur. I usually take my phone out every few days to clean the phone and the inside of the case and that has worked for me.

16. USC_Gamecock macrumors 6502

USC_Gamecock

But the chipped glass? Really?

17. Dirtydutch macrumors 6502a

Dirtydutch

Reviews are relatively high for a case that would cause such damage. The only non 5 star review just claims it feels cheap. The 7 case had even better reviews actually.

18. kirkhuffy thread starter macrumors regular

You're really on about this aren't you? I'm not attributing the chip to the case. It could have happened at any time. What I meant was under normal usage as per every iPhone I've had, this is the first time I've encountered a chip, and that's within the first two weeks. For your sake I hope nothing happens to your phone.

19. xeio macrumors regular

xeio

make sure to take off your iphone from the case every day and clean it from all the dust. otherwise dont use a case. its just so easy :D

20. yngrshr macrumors regular

Something is definitely fishy.

21. Newtons Apple, Sep 27, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2016

Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

The case did not chip the screen so . . . . . . .

Apple needs to automatically start the video camera when it senses it is being dropped or in free fall. The video should be indestructible.

My Sedio Surface case has a very thin silicone "slipper" that fit on the iPhone before it goes in the case. When the slippered phone goes in the case it seals the device dust and grit proof. I have left my Surface case on for months and when removed it was grit and debris free. The case feels like the top of a ThinkPad, kinda rubbery but not sticky.

I have found no better.

22. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Sadly, I see nothing has changed regarding clear cases. I bought a clear case for my gold iPhone 6 and dirt messed up my phone also. As much as it pains me to cover up such a great color, Apple Leather Black cases have kept my phones pristine since.

23. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Nope not believing that you put a unscratched Iphone in a case and took it out to this. Sorry logic won't allow me too.

24. MacTechnics macrumors 6502

I had a Tech 21 case on my 6 Plus and it got little dot scuffs all over it cause of the crap that got in the case...so I get it. I just wish the Apple cases covered the bottom.

25. Rayy42 macrumors 6502

Rayy42

The tech21 case is a good option besides the Apple leather brand. I normally rotate between the two and sometimes my Mophie depending on where I'm going and what I'm doing.