Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
helps not doing it at night in the dark thinking you can just slide it in..

What I do is turn the iPhone flashlight on and cup your hand behind the light, which reflects the light down towards the charging port, where you can see. Problem solved.

Reactions: Jetcat3

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
mine is god awful. I take so much care putting the lightning connector in too and its scratched up loads :(, dont do it OP.

Reactions: Sunny1990

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
In my experience the matte resists scratches very well. I even dropped it on the pavement and not a scratch. Things tend to slide across it instead of catching.

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
I definitely see signs of wear in the port, but it doesn't bother me. I've had similar wear and tear on my S7 Edge and expected the same on my iPhone 7.

Zorrotoro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2016
Same as day 1
[doublepost=1477653912][/doublepost]
Everybody posts it looks good and based off the floor models, you go with a color you may not want? Why ask for opinions.

I haven't seen one up close so I don't know what they look like. I'm still debating whether to get Black or Silver but based on the answers here I'll end up placing the order tonight for the Black which I think looks stunning.

Reactions: Thor_1

Cristafury

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2016
After 2 weeks, my 7 plus already have the black coating worn off even though I've been putting the charge cable in the port gently.
I expected it, but just not so soon..
There is not much choice as I prefer the black border.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Dunno. I rarely look at it.

EDIT: Just inspected it and it looks new.

Last edited:

Europa13

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2009
Just shined a light on mine to check and it's holding up great and still looks brand new. Like others have stated in this thread, I wouldn't mind if it was a bit scuffed. That's the only spot on my older iPhones that ever got scuffs.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I've had my matte black iPhone 7 since launch and it is perfect. I am careful with my electronics however.

Reactions: ABC5S

DaIfoneboss

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2011
Same day as I got it. But I also am not the one who plugs their phone in at night with no light lol I do make sure I put it in somewhat meticulously everytime. But that is how I have treated every other smartphone I owned too so..I am aware that this matte black anodization coating may be a little bit easier to "scuff and chip" slowly over time so yeah. So far though holding up perfectly.

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
Still looking as peachy as ever. In general I think this generation of iPhones may be quite a bit more scratch resistant than before, as I've dropped mine on concrete and gravel a couple of times and can't find a single scratch on it. Luck may be playing a big part in all of this, but still impressive in my opinion.

Very happy with the durability of the device so far.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'm terrible with plugging the charging cable into the lightning port in the dark, but my charging port is still pristine.

This may seem weird, in the dark, I turn on the flashlight and cup my hand behind it, which reflects the light towards the lightning port. It's easier to see and your not missing the port.

Reactions: nickelro
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.