Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s54

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
It’s slippery. I truly don’t get what all the fuss is about with regards to the matte coating providing better grip.

I picked up the Pro 256 GB in midnight green. Great phone overall, but it’s a lot more slippery than my iPhone 8 was with the glass back.

Glass just hooks onto your palm. The matte finish does not stick at all. So I’m very confused why so many people and YouTubers have been reporting this phone to have a better grip. In my experience thus far, it’s the complete opposite.

s54

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Had I known this, I probably would have gone with the iPhone 11 and in white with silver sides :(

Brettka7

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
When I first got my phone in the HOT Apple Store, my hands were a bit clammy so the 11 Pro felt less slippery. Once I left the store and no longer had clammy hands, the 11 Pro has felt notably more slippery than any other glass or aluminum iPhone. Glad I did not get the more unwieldy Max.

Dexterama

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2017
New England
It doesn’t feel too different from the aluminum backs, and those were slippery. The matte glass is for looks and less fingerprints if you’re not into using a case. If you’re using a case anyways, it doesn’t matter whether the back is matte or not.

Reactions: Bethanie21

s54

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
I’d take fingerprint magnet over matte any day.

This is my first matte iPhone in years and it feels like a slippery bar of soap. The phone is especially slippery when my hands are dry.

The phone is in my pocket most of the time anyway. I never found fingerprints to be an issue because as soon as I put it in my jeans, the cloth automatically wipes all fingerprints away.

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
For anyone wanting more grip with minimal bulk try a really thin case like the Totallee ones.

For me, I prefer the matte rear glass, although I would have liked the Apple logo to also be matte.

Reactions: Caliber26

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
For anyone wanting more grip with minimal bulk try a really thin case like the Totallee ones.

For me, I prefer the matte rear glass, although I would have liked the Apple logo to also be matte.
Yup, here’s mine with the solid black case.

Attachments

• 7BF86235-C7BF-4C06-81D9-609A0FA4DE36.jpeg
    7BF86235-C7BF-4C06-81D9-609A0FA4DE36.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 379

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
I find my Pro Max to be slippery but not as slippery as my XS Max.
It is what it is I guess. They’ve been slippery for a while now not a deal breaker for me.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
I read it's more slippery in hand, but less on fabric like pockets and couches, etc. I haven't checked them out yet myself though.

Bethanie21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2015
I had an iPhone 8, and I actually had a back screen protector on it which was matte to the touch. The back of my 11 Pro feels similar, so for me it’s not too slippery to hold.

Reactions: UltraInstinct

shr631

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
This is my first matte iPhone in years and it feels like a slippery bar of soap. The phone is especially slippery when my hands are dry.
“You’re sweating wrong...”;)
[automerge]1569096449[/automerge]
I find my Pro Max to be slippery but not as slippery as my XS Max.
It is what it is I guess. They’ve been slippery for a while now not a deal breaker for me.
Personally i never felt the Xs max was slippery. Both the sides and the back were pretty tacky. I think matte looks nice fwiw.

MCLOCO

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2019
the matte finish is not bad for being slippery. As you have it in your hand more, it gets stickier.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Yeah it’ll be more slippery.

This is the reason why I think Apple went with glossy Airpods - a matt coating would see them lose grip from the ear & fall out easily.

But the phone does looks better without those greasy fingerprints all over it. I got sick of the gloss myself, not that I’d expose it (always use a case).

BluefinTuna

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2019
I just came back from the Apple store. Compared my iPhone X to the iPhone 11 Pro and I can safely say that the new iPhones are better built. The frosted glass is extremely comfortable in the hand and looks high end. My grip was certainly improved with the frosted glass. It’s tempting to upgrade but I’ll hold firm until next year.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
I just came back from the Apple store. Compared my iPhone X to the iPhone 11 Pro and I can safely say that the new iPhones are better built. The frosted glass is extremely comfortable in the hand and looks high end. My grip was certainly improved with the frosted glass. It’s tempting to upgrade but I’ll hold firm until next year.

Tempting yes, but for me there wasn’t anything to justify an upgrade. They felt the same. Frosted glass is very nice but it just felt the same as the phone I already own

Reactions: BluefinTuna
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.