Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today unveiled new iPad Pro models that look remarkably similar to existing iPad Pro options, but which have an M1 chip, much like Apple's Mac lineup.

ipad-pro.jpg

The 11-inch iPad Pro model starts at $799, while the 12.9-inch iPad Pro model is much more expensive due to its mini-LED display, starting at $1,099.

Both models come with up to 2TB storage and have higher RAM amounts at higher storage tiers, which can drive costs up.

A cellular 12.9-inch iPad Pro with 5G connectivity and the 2TB storage option costs a total of $2,399, which is actually more expensive than the highest-tier M1 MacBook Pro and MacBook Air with all available upgrades.

The maxed out 11-inch cellular model will run you $2,099, which is just about as expensive as the maxed out M1 MacBook Pro. Neither of those price points includes an Apple Pencil or a Magic Keyboard, both of which can be purchased separately.

Apple's new iPad Pro models will be available for order on April 30 and will ship out in May.

Article Link: Maxed Out M1 12.9-Inch iPad Pro With 5G, 16GB RAM, and 2TB Storage Costs $2,400

Last edited:

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
Is the ram increase just for the higher storage it’s not fair you have to spend more for something you don’t need just for more ram

Reactions: herok

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
The maxed out price doesn't concern me so much, but 1300€ for the 256GB version of the 12.9" model is a solid 200€ more than the current one. Makes me wish again there was a 12" version of the new iPad Air.
careful what you wish for that may come at a price of $999 too 1299 the way apple like too price stuff

Reactions: schneeland

RangerXML

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2009
The worse part about this announcement is the fact that I'm gonna have to wait until June to find out all the details about software support that I really want to know. I mean an M1 is only really useful if you can fun the softare that supports it and not allowing the Mac apps is gonna SUCK!

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
New iPad Pro, yes, most likely.
2tb? Probably not for me. My wife... debatable.

It is a pretty damn good upgrade for me. I am not too picky.
Do what I need it to do and we're good.
I don't have to many expectations, just perform or I look elsewhere, but this dog looks like it'll run.

Reactions: amartinez1660
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.