Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mazenat

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Saudi Arabia
Hello,

So my 64GB iPhone 8 Plus keeps offloading apps, even sometimes apps that I used yesterday. I checked my storage and found out that I am maxed out.

I am offloading unused apps, and offloading my pics to iCloud. I purchased 2TB iCloud to assure that I never run out of storage.

Please check the screenshot, as most of the storage is gone to 'OTHER'.

What should I do?

IMG_7086.PNG

mritech

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2015
I would love to know the answer to the “other” myself. But you’re wasting money. It looks like even with you’re 4 gigs of pics going to iCloud you’ll survive on the 50 gig plan for a dollar a month if not get the 200 gig for 3 bucks. You can always up and downgrade as you need. I have 150 gigs of pics and still only need the 200 plan

Reactions: Mazenat

Mazenat

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Saudi Arabia
Thanks

I actually have 2TB as shared family plan. My photos/videos are ~50GB and the 200GB plan is no longer sufficient for 4 family members.

But the issue he’s is why 2/3rd of my storage is ‘other’ which I can’t deal with.

Today I wanted to update an app and received a notification that that I can’t becuase my storage is full!

I don’t know what to do

I would love to know the answer to the “other” myself. But you’re wasting money. It looks like even with you’re 4 gigs of pics going to iCloud you’ll survive on the 50 gig plan for a dollar a month if not get the 200 gig for 3 bucks. You can always up and downgrade as you need. I have 150 gigs of pics and still only need the 200 plan

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I feel your frustration. I have had similar issues with my Macbooks in the past and nobody (including Apple) seems to know what causes it and how to fix it without restoring and setting up as new.

AMTYVLE

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
Florida
Wow. That is a lot of ‘Other’! I also tried myself to figure out what is actually ‘Other’ but can’t find anything. Wish Apple would specify what that category is.

By the way, restoring the iPhone or even setting up as New does not get rid of anything in ‘Other’...at least for me. I tried a few times in the past.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I’ve spoken about this a few times, but it’s always worth repeating. “Other” contains all kinds of crap that isn’t always automatically cleaned out quickly.

Sometimes just checking it in Settings is enough to shrink it a little, no idea why, it may just trigger the maintenance routine.

For instance, I checked mine, in iOS settings, and it was just under 17GB. I went back in a few minutes later after looking around settings some more and it’s down to just over 9GB.

You can also do the same with iTunes. Connect your device to iTunes, then in iTunes view the summary screen and just leave it at that.

Give it 10 minutes and disconnect your device. Go into its settings and check the system storage, it should be using less space.

Another thing that often, but not always, clears out some space is to do a manual iCloud backup.

Just go into Settings > ID (at the top) > iCloud > iCloud Backup and tap Back up now (you need to be connected to WiFi.) usually that clears out a bit of the crap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.