Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2014
I currently use a MBA mid 2011, and I think it works ok. Build times are ok for my current project. 1:30 minutes for a complete rebuild, and 15 seconds for rebuild of one changed file. The simulator runs a bit slow, but I think it's ok. My project is based on SpriteKit with a physics engine, so it's quite calculation intensive.

Has anyone tried out the m3 version of the 2017 rMB with a similar use case. My MBA battery is running out of cycles, and the power cable is a mess.

I guess that the top speed of the rMB is significantly higher than my MBA, but my worry is that I don't know how the rMB handles load peaks. How will it handle that 1.30 (90 seconds) build? Will it build at high speed only for a couple of seconds, and then revert back to 1.2 GHz mode? What about running in the simulator?

Will the rMB be at least on par with my MBA, or can it even be slower?

I know that an MBP might be a safer choice, but I like the sleek fan less design of the rMB. About lack of ports I think I've read something about a possibility to debug devices through wireless. So maybe that's not a big concern?

Mac-lover3

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2014
Belgium
Well if we compare Geekbench scores (single - multi)
MacBook Air: 2000 - 3500
MacBook: 3800 - 8300

That's quite a gain in raw CPU power.

Also I suppose you only have 4GB RAM in your MacBook Air so that's also a gain going to 8GB RAM.

Then there are also the SSD that are a lot faster on the MacBook than on your MacBook Air.

EDIT: I think Xcode uses Metal (not sure) but if it does that will help too. The 2011 MacBook Air's don't support Metal.

Last edited:

puh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2014
Well if we compare Geekbench scores (single - multi)
MacBook Air: 2000 - 3500
MacBook: 3800 - 8300
That's quite a gain in raw CPU power.
Thanks,

Yes, but my fear is that the rMB CPU will run warm, and then reduce the frequency. It would be great to know if someone has tried out a build that takes a couple of minutes. How does the 2017 rMB handle that use case?

palmwangja

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2015
Even 2015 can handle xcode build. Build itself doesn't seem to make it throttle down, even though it always throttles down when it just wants...

Reactions: puh

puh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2014
Even 2015 can handle xcode build. Build itself doesn't seem to make it throttle down...
Ah. What about running in simulator? Have you tried that?

..., even though it always throttles down when it just wants...
Haha... Do you think that is related to the environment temperature, or is it due to background processes?

Graham Perks

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2003
Austin, TX
My m5 2016 model is fine for Xcode dev. A long full build will cause the CPU to throttle down around 2GHz (far from 1.2), so consider that your worst-case speed. A quad-core 15" will of course beat it in raw speed; but the MacBook is much nicer on the lap, the screen is great, the weight wonderful, and is quick enough.

palmwangja

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2015
Ah. What about running in simulator? Have you tried that?

Haha... Do you think that is related to the environment temperature, or is it due to background processes?

Devs would always run some VMs. :D So, I'd go with 16GB this time. I personally didn't have an issue with CPU load with VMs, but swapping did hurt though.

hectorvs

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011
I would consider the 13 inch Macbook Pro (no touchbar). Better processor, better I/O (2 thunderbolt 3 ports) and at not much of a price diff ($1500 for the 256gb version).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.