MBA for $700, should I?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MacRazySwe, Apr 8, 2012.

1. MacRazySwe macrumors 6502a

Hi guys,

As of now I have a 2007 15" MBP and a 2011 21.5" iMac. I was planning on keeping both computers and purchasing an iPad 3. However, I have come to the conclusion that as much as I want the new iPad, it makes no sense to spend an awful lot of money on the iPad, when my 5-year old computer needs a replacement badly, as it has a battery which lasts 1-2 hours and could die any day (nVidia graphics). Moreover, I will probably start university this autumn, hence a new computer would be great.

I was planning on waiting for the new Ivy Bridge 15" MacBook Air, as I love the portability of the Air, but would prefer the larger 15" screen of my MBP. I figured that the 15" Air would be perfect for me. However, today I got the opportunity to purchase a brand new in box, never opened 13.3" MacBook Air for $700. This is the latest model with the i5 processor, 4GB RAM and 128GB SSD. The seller claims he got this computer from his work, however he already has a laptop which he is happy with, hence the decides to sell this MBA. While the price does seem very low, the seller is able to provide me with a copy of the receipt from the original purchase. The computer is still under warranty, and as said previously, brand new in box, never opened.

I really like the MacBook Air. The portability suits me perfectly, and the
    performance should be sufficient. Mind you, I only use my computer for the usual stuff; web-browsing, listening to music, photos (basic editing perhaps), word-processing and very seldom some movie editing. I purchased the MBP thinking that I would also use it to play games, however I soon realized that laptops get too warm for gaming, instead I play games on my consoles. The only drawback I can see with the MBA is the limited amount of disk space. I can do without the ODD. For the price however, I don't think I can go wrong with this MBA. Furthermore, I have my iMac for the heavy tasks. As of now, I will meet the seller tomorrow and purchase the computer. No matter how much I want the 15" Air, I do realize that it will cost me at least twice as much money, which I find hard to justify. The price of this MBA is very attractive.

What do you guys think?

Also, am I able to check the serial number in order to make sure the computer is not stolen, or missing? The seller seems serious, but I guess you can never be too suspicious when purchasing brand new MacBook Air for nearly half the price.

Thanks in advance!

2. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

Seems like a steal, although it could be stolen. Couple things of concern, if he has proof of purchase then you should be could on the stolen front. My other concern is that he said its from work and most companies don't give their employees the authority to sell tools that they are not using. I would ask for some clarification about that. However if everything checks out the it would be a great deal. You'll never find an unopened MBA for that price and if he can prove its not stolen and he is allowed to sell it I would go for it.

3. radiohed macrumors regular

If the Air is legit, that is a great deal and you should grab it. It almost sounds too good to be true though. :confused: It would certainly be tempting to me. My wife just got a new 13" Air and it is such a nice machine. I'm a desktop guy myself and am waiting to see the sweet new iMacs! :rolleyes:

4. ericDylan macrumors regular

If nothing else, you could buy it and sell it for what it is actually worth!

I would go for it! That is a complete steal.

5. MacRazySwe thread starter macrumors 6502a

I agree on the price, it does seem to good to be true. How can I make sure it's not stolen or such? I was thinking of checking the serial number of the computer with Apple? Any other possibilities?

I will also make sure to print and bring the purchase/seller forms available online, where the seller will need to fill in all of his personal information. I will also ask to see his ID just to clarify, if he doesn't mind. Anything else I should do to be on the safe side?

Thanks for your advice! :)

6. Bear macrumors G3

Most work places that provide a computer tend to want them back. It doesn't matter if he has a receipt.

7. shadowjeff macrumors regular

$700 seems a little too good to be true but if you verify its safe, you should definitely get it!

That aside, the 15 inch macbook air is only rumoured, it might or might not come out at all. So don't miss out on this chance to get the 13 inch mba for 700 bucks! It's perfect for university use because it is so light and portable, and since you have a 21 inch iMac at home already, you have the big screen and good processing power to deal with heavy duty task. And not to mention the screen resolution is similar to the one on 15 inch mbp so i don't think it is gonna affect much.

8. ericDylan macrumors regular

Well his work may just give him the computer. My mom's work gives her device bonuses that she is supposed to use to buy a phone and computer or w/e every so often and last time she was still happy with her laptop and phone, so she bought an iPad.

Some companies just don't make their employees as accountable for their expense accounts.

Perhaps the guy bought the computer with an expense account and needs to prove he bought a computer with it (hence the receipt). It is slightly unethical for him to turn around and sell it, but at the end of the day it is his computer to do with as he wants.
    As long as he is able to complete the tasks he would have used the computer for, then he is in the clear.

I would go for it if you are somewhat sure he did not steal it. Speaking of stealing, if the package is still sealed and everything, it seems unlikely that he stole it bc it would be difficult to get that out of a store without someone noticing haha. If it was just the laptop itself, then he could have just stolen one off of the table at starbucks.. people just leave everything sitting around in there.. might as well be a yardsale with an everything must go sign.

9. Black.Infinity macrumors 6502

Black.Infinity

don't go alone and meet up in a public place :d

10. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

Good points, always bring a friend, and meet in a well lit coffee shop or something similar, close to a police station if possible lol. Also tell someone where your going, who your meeting and about what time you plan on returning. There was a thread on here not to long ago by a guy who met someone to buy a MBP without a charger, he ended up passing cause he thought it was stolen and the guy stole his charger and tried to rob him. Always plan for your safety cause in this day and age you just never know.

11. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

That model would cost $1300 new. I would tread carefully. For example, check what's in the box to avoid paying $700 for two bricks with the exact weight of an MBA.

12. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Sealed is a stupid way to sell anything. If it's out of the store, it's used. It's as simple as that. These things can be repackaged. Scammers have done so before. I wouldn't trust a random seller with a cash transaction without fully inspecting and testing such a machine. If it is somehow legitimate, you could probably flip it if a 15" Air actually makes it to market. Keep in mind everything so far has been a rumor, so there's no real guarantee that we'll see a shipping product hat meets such a description in the current year (although I do think they'll address that somehow going forward).

13. MacRazySwe thread starter macrumors 6502a

The computer is listed on our swedish equivalent to Craigslist, moreover the seller paid extra to have it featured in the gallery of products for sale. IF the computer was stolen, I do not believe that one would list it on Craigslist, especially not including your name and town of residence. I will meet up with the seller this afternoon. He said I could always open the box and start the computer while there, in order to make sure everything is in the box, and everything is working properly.

Oh and btw, I will bring my uncle.. No problems! :)

14. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

Open the box, boot up the machine and verify the SN with Apple before you hand over any money.

If the seller doesn't want you to open the box, walk away.

Re-shrinkwrapping can be done at most Office Depots ... there's no way to tell whether the shrink-wrap is genuinely Apple or not.

If it's too good to be true, it probably isn't!

15. Kendo macrumors 68000

Too good to be true. It retails for $1300, why would anyone sell it for $700? If it were a legit deal, the seller would have priced it at $1150 at least.

The only reason someone would price it for so cheap is because they need to get rid of it asap (ie. stolen goods).

16. mac26 macrumors 6502

You are a pretty lucky man to get it for only $700, even if you sold it in 2 years you would still get over $700!

17. Bigredhawkeye macrumors member

Either a scam or the guy is an idiot. He could sell that for $1250 and still sell it within a week probably. All he would have to do is take $50 off the new price and he'd have people fighting to buy it if it is legitimate.

18. fruitycups macrumors 6502

yo give me the sellers number so that i can buy

19. njean777 macrumors 6502

If it works and is legit I would buy it. Just run the serial number and make sure it isn't stolen.

20. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

21. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

22. MacRazySwe thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, you guys were right. Last night I decided to meet up with the guy today after his work. I sent him a text message, asking him to send me the address where we would meet as well as the serial number of the computer. Since then, I have not heard a word from him. I sent two text messages and called several times during all day. No replies. I guess it was a scam, or possibly stolen goods.

Sucks big-time right now. But whatever, it's only a computer. I will save some money by not buying it. I will be on the lookout for similar deals, if I don't find any - brand new Ivy Bridge MBA it is (as soon as it's released). :)

23. mac26 macrumors 6502

Sorry to here that bro, it sucks doesn't it. I've been in your situation before as well

24. Bigredhawkeye macrumors member

Sorry to hear it. That's why I always go by "If it is too good to be true, then it is."

I buy and sell cars a lot and have run into similar situations...Always a letdown.

25. hawk1410 macrumors 6502