MBA: [must-have] applications

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by anton1s, Jun 20, 2012.

1. JoJo Zzang macrumors member

Now, warranted I agree that most users become obsessive with "maintenance" apps for their Macs... Some are actually warranted with some users.

If you are constantly working on media files and etc - proper defraging from time to time can yield positive benefits due to large files being utilized - moved, deleted and etc.

Again, not refuting your point. Most users don't need it at all. However, there is always that "%" who can see benefits.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I agree there are some situations where a defrag is useful, such as when creating partitions. I also agree that for most users and most situations, it's completely unnecessary.

3. JoJo Zzang macrumors member

Glad we could agree. ;)

4. ExZeRoEx macrumors newbie

Defragging an SSD?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, a HDD.

6. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

ML will have the updated Notes App, that's separate from Mail. It will look similar to the iPad version. It will also include the ability to make folders. Same with Reminders; it'll be a separate app, with folders.

There's supposed to be drag/drop between them, so you can create a reminder for a note, etc.

7. ExZeRoEx macrumors newbie

I was concerned, since we're in a MBA forum talking about defragging.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's why I said "there are some situations where a defrag is useful". Clearly, using a SSD is not one of those situations. It wasn't specific to the OP, but rather a general statement.

9. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

I don't think their the same kind of "note" at all.

The notes in apple's notes app are similar to the type of informat reminders and ideas you put down on a scrap piece of paper. They're your work in progress ideas, if you will.

The notes in evernote are more akin to a trapper-keeper notebook. Students (such as myself) use it to take class notes. Others use it to plan projects, gather ideas, and organize multiple different types of content in one place (movies, websites, pictures, text, etc.)

Both apps have their use, but I don't think Evernote is going to be obsolete by any means.

10. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

Never said it would make Evernote obsolete. Just answered a question from another poster. For basic notes, reminders, I think it's worth while to look at what's in the box first, at least that's what I do. But I agree, EN is far more robust. If they could just add reminders, or ability to assign Due Dates, it would be THE app for projects.

11. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

As sorry, I thought you were the same guy as above. My bad... :eek:

I agree about your ideas for evernote though.

12. Sackvillenb macrumors 6502a

Sackvillenb

VLC ( for video playback, iMove is NOt for that, it's for editing videos)
    Evernote (cloud synced notes)
    Dropbox (cloud synced files and backup)
    Transmission (for downloading stuff)
    iWork, it's pretty great
    Maybe Carbon Copy Cloner for extra backups

The other apps you might like really depend on what you are using the computer for, and what other devices you have...

And, do NOT get any of the mac "cleaning" applications, you really don't need them, and they WILL cause problems for you!!

13. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

No worries...

14. e.n.d. macrumors newbie

Xee - is the photo viewer I have always wanted. Fast, lightweight and renders pictures great.
    WindowMagnet - to add the Windows 7 snap feature.
    MPlayerX - to play my AVCHD and MP4 files.

15. Cicatrix macrumors 6502

16. 31rhcp macrumors member

Maybe obsolete wasn't the right word, but Notes for Mountatin Lion is advertised to do exactly what I use Evernote for (syncing notes between devices). I realise there is more to Evernote than that, it's just I only use it for certain things.

17. new-to-mac macrumors regular

is there an equivalent to irfanview for mac? I just converted to Mac and am finding my way through this wonderful world but one application i used a lot in windows was irfanview to see photos and pictures. it reads all file types and is super-easy to navigate and use

any recommendation?

btw thanks for all the above suggested apps

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Preview, which comes with Mac OS X, can be used to view, crop and do basic editing of pictures. Also, if you just want to view photos, you can select them in Finder and press the spacebar to enable Quick Look, viewing them as a slide show, or grid, or individually, windowed or full screen.

19. new-to-mac macrumors regular

Thanks, I saw preview but what I couldn't find easy - perhaps haven't figured it out yet - is when I am in a specific folder with pictures, and preview a picture in fullscreen, quickly jump to the next picture? In Irfanview I just pressed the space bar. I'm sure there must be a way in Preview but couldn't figure it out last night....

20. alstrike macrumors regular

alstrike

For me it would be these ones:

- Vlc
    - Xbmc
    - Playstation Media Server
    - Keka (so much better than The Unarchiver)
    - Office is pretty good but I have to try iWork to see if it's worth the swap.
    - Paintbrush

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can't select one picture, view it in fullscreen, and jump to the next picture while in fullscreen. When using Quick Look you can use the up and down arrows to move to other pics, but not in fullscreen. You could select all the pics you want to view (such as using Command-A to select all) before pressing the space bar, which will enable you to move between pics in fullscreen. You can do the same with Preview.

22. bit density macrumors 6502

Audio Hijack Pro.

The sound is simply not loud enough to watch video on the screen without headphones. This program fixes that. It is on ALL of my mac laptops.

23. new-to-mac macrumors regular

thanks will try that since all files are in the same folder it might work

24. dyn macrumors 68030

QL doesn't allow you to do that (you need to select the files first) but an app called Xee (which is freeware) can. Is a bit similar to Irfanview.

25. palpatine macrumors 68040

I don't know the product. I do OCR on multiple languages. Does OCRkit read Japanese, Chinese, Portuguese, and English well? I couldn't tell on their site what they had (besides the interface languages, which I don't care about). More importantly, with an academic discount, Adobe Acrobat Pro cost me just $10 more.

Thanks for the suggestion :)