MBP 13" LCD Model Difference Tracking

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by donster28, Jun 11, 2009.

1. donster28 macrumors 65816

OK, All of you lucky owners of the new MBP 13"s please chime in.

So far, I have a chance to try 2 units with different screens. My first one had a slight bleed on the bottom tight so I had it replaced.

Please do remember that this is based on people's own experience with the monitor.

Here is what I know so far:

Updated (Displays with reported issues are bolded):
    9CA0 (Chi Mei)- Not as bright as the previous 15" MBPs
    9CA1 (?) - My first unit. Bright but had a slight bright bleed on the right bottom
    9CBD (LG/Phillips) - My replacement unit had this and to my eyes it looks great/bright. Some experiencing "neon like" colours. Based on my own good experience with the screen, I think this is more of a personal preference than anything.
    9C8C (?) - Some reporting a washed out screen but the jury is still out on this one.
    9C9E (Samsung) - Some reporting a washed out screen and some 'streak' issues on right side. Jury is still out on this one.
    9C9F (LG/Phillips) - Bright and good according to latest post.

*Thanks to forum member HFU for the manufacturer details.

UPDATE:
    It seems people are getting around the slight differences in colour/brightness on the new screens by calibrating them to their liking. I myself went through a few calibrations before sticking to one. I can honestly say that calibration makes a lot of difference and it can totally change your mind about your screen so please try calibrating before deciding to exchange MBP.

2. tekmoe macrumors 68000

I have the 13" MBP 2.26. The LCD is a 9CA0 (Chi Mei). Can't find any issues with it. It's not as bright as my 15" MBP 2.4 (Late 2008). Nonetheless the screen looks beautiful!

3. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

4. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Yea, Gamut =/= Brightness I guess.

I find it hard to believe it's not as bright, however ...

5. tekmoe macrumors 68000

Here's a picture I took comparing them. Both were set to lowest brightness.

[​IMG]

6. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Wow that 15" is SUPER bright! haha. That would suck when working without any lights. (And before anyone says, "Why not just turn on the lights?", some people like being on the computer at night before bed with the lights off, so yeah.) :D

7. imthekuni macrumors member

If you are testing brightness, wouldn't it be best to test them at full brightness? Maybe the new 13" mbp just has a larger range?

8. tekmoe macrumors 68000

Did that too... :)

[​IMG]

9. donster28 thread starter macrumors 65816

Wow!!!

Now we really can see differences in models. I have updated the original post to include your screen.

Thanks for your input and please keep em coming. :)

10. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Since you've worked on a 15" MBP, how does the 13" MBP compare? I know you said it wasn't as bright, but what about viewing angles. I know the MBs where really bad about that and having washed out colors.

Also, use the [ timg] [ /timg] to keep the pictures small. It helps those with small screens.

11. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

Same here; looks fantastic to me; It's sitting next to my 15" penryn, but it's really bright in my office; weill post back later

12. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

I agree its not as bright as mt Rev A macbook and I also had a awesome screen on it .

13. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

9CBD for me.

Looks excellent, but my first gen Unibody Macbook never bothered me really.

14. Zadiek macrumors member

15. Woz Beard macrumors regular

Woz Beard

9C9E here.

It's washed out a tad, but no way as bad as the late '08 MBs. I'm dealing with a .5" streak on the right side of my screen.

:(

16. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

I wonder why we all have different screens... I wouldn't think inconsistency to be Apple's forté.

17. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

9C9F here and its outstanding in every way, very bright, no fading or bleeding and lovely deep blacks.

18. 5DollaFootlong macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

i have a late 2008 macbook. am i missing something because I have a 9C8C and it does seem washed out. is there enough to warrant a replacement; saying it's washed out just doesn't cut it with apple.

19. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

Higgs1

9C9E here too, coming from my 08 white macbook its far brighter/richer color, but some of the blue links (google for instance) almost look purple at times, everything else looks beautiful and I think its just my eyes adjusting from the lower quality screen of the white mb

20. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Apple uses different part suppliers for many different components as do most other companies. It's simply cheaper and more efficient, that's why Apple does it.

21. theKitch macrumors member

Noob question. How do I look up my display type information?

22. justit macrumors 6502a

colorsync utlity--> display --> scroll to second from bottom and select to see last four of the digits, that's the display model everyone is referring to here

23. justit macrumors 6502a

they purposely stunted the uni macbooks displays, they weren't "pro" material

24. justit macrumors 6502a

hard to see bleed at the store... the 13pro 09CA1 was amazingly better than the uni macbook 09C89