MBP 2011 Issueless?...Anyone?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HighEndMac, Apr 18, 2011.

1. HighEndMac macrumors regular

Mar 30, 2011
    Anyone have a maxed out 2011 15" MBP without any of the common issues always being posted? (heat, noise, crashing, etc.….)
  2. vincenz macrumors 601

Oct 20, 2008
    Tip: the people who don't have any issues don't read the forums ;)
  3. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

Feb 18, 2010
    Nah, we read the forums. We just don't have any complaints to post about. Although, I think I've seen two threads posted in the last month about people being happy with their MBPs. However, Vincenz is right, people typically don't post on forums when everything is working as expected.

A couple dozen people out of a few thousand doesn't necessarily make their common problems all that common...
  4. shot2bits macrumors member

Mar 1, 2011
    United Kingdom
    I guess I don't qualify as before the latest OS patch I had some crashes when playing Civ and Trine. However, since the patch everything with my 2011 2.2, high res is working great and quiet until the graphics card kicks in..
  5. mcvaughan macrumors 6502a

Aug 9, 2007
    Houston, TX
  6. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

Feb 13, 2011
    no complaints here, i effing love my macbook pro

it works frighteningly well, and i'm enjoying learning all the various commands and how to use terminal and SSH etc.

people say Apple treats the OS X users with kid gloves but actually i think Macs are more "nerdy" than windows machines.

i just bought a RAM upgrade too because there was a good deal, £74 for 8GB of 1600MHz RAM, schweet!

i wholeheartedly recommend getting one, and if you're not satisfied with it after putting it through its paces exchange it until you get one that you approve of.
  7. MacMojo1 macrumors member

Mar 22, 2006
    No complaints either, rock solid, smokes my 27 iMac i5 in all tasks.

Will Buy Again....
  8. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

Mar 11, 2009
    To your left or right
    No problems here.

i did a poll at one point on this site to show that more people are satisfied than unsatisfied with their MBP's.

9. C-DAWG macrumors newbie

Mar 11, 2011
    I have an i5 13" that is bone stock. It does everything I ask of it and more without a hiccup.
  10. 1quick1 macrumors member

Sep 10, 2008
    Mine runs great. I noticed some finger print smudges from the keys on the screen that I see complaints about. Heat/crashing has been a non-issue. Mine RARELY gets of 75 Celsius.
  11. HBOC macrumors 68020

Oct 14, 2008
  12. Manacit macrumors member

Feb 19, 2011
    New York, NY
    High-End 2011 w/ 2.3 and Hires antiglare screen here, absolutely no issues at all. I've played hours of Crysis 2 on it, my longest being a two hour binge without stopping, and I've left it to convert a whole season of TV from xvid -> mkv (apple tv 2 preset). Not once did it overheat, and the fan noise really isn't very loud at all, I was able to sleep with it < 5 feet from my head while the fans were spinning at 6200 RPM.

I have gotten kernel panics, but that's from java being stupid (it's reproducible, so it's not a problem with the hardware, just software).

I love my 2011!
  13. AlanFord macrumors regular

Feb 26, 2011
  14. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

Aug 21, 2006
  15. MastaK macrumors member

Feb 10, 2011
    No issues whatsoever.

Installed 8GB of Ram myself and waiting for my Intel 320 160GB SSD and OWC's Sata III 240GB SSD to arrive.
  16. cambookpro macrumors 603

Feb 3, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Not to hijack or anything, but what does one consider 'high end'?

2.2 GHz, 8GB RAM, Hi-Res, SSD...?
  17. iMackPro macrumors 6502

Mar 31, 2011
    i have a maxed out 15 and its just fine. no heating issues, its completely silent while surfing web and using word and eMail. i love it! in the past 3 days my cpu usage hasnt passed 9% =\ its just because ive been so busy studying lol
  18. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

Jan 13, 2011
  19. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Nov 26, 2003
    I have to agree.

This is by far the best Mac I've ever purchased. The Quad core screams with the things that I do and the ability to go to 16 Gig was a wonderful plus. I use many VMs and do a lot of development work and this notebook is the best tool I've owned in a long time.

Also, the Thunderbolt and High-end Graphics Card rock! While I don't have a TB device yet I know that I will in the future. Buh-bye pokey USB 2.x and FW 800....

Lastly, I will buy again too!

Nobody is perfect...even Apple. However, for those small few that have had issues with their MBP I can show you 10x the amount of unhappy Dell, HP, and Toshiba users. Apple isn't number one in customer service for nothing...

Seriously, look at the HP, Dell, and Toshiba forums when you think Apple is screwing up too much. Those forums will make you appreciate the effort that Apple puts into their products.

20. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

Feb 9, 2011
    on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    17" CTO MBP -120gb owc ssd; 8gb Crucial RAM, optibay with 500gb 7200 hdd

no issues here either (touch wood) :D
  21. JTToft macrumors 68040

Apr 27, 2010
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Mine works great and it does everything without issues! I am very happy. :)
    Now, if I could only afford that SSD...
  22. hatersgonnahate macrumors 6502a

Jul 26, 2010
    my first mac.

2.0 4gb ram, anti glare

ill be getting some ram soon, but for now 4 is fine.

not sure if its the cables but for some reason when i use and extern monitor i dont get the max resolution. im using hdmi cables and will now wait for dvi to see if its still a problem.

the screen went crazy once after it was awake from sleep. wouldnt turn on for a while, then after that it worked again. hopefully its just a weird occurance, it never happened again.

other than that, its a nice, pretty and fast machine. :p
  23. Cesoca macrumors member

Oct 8, 2006
    Not so fast

Hmmm... just go to the Apple MBP discussions page and choose Internet and Networking category, you'll find a lot of complaints about the piss-poor performance of the wireless card and all things related to wireless internet connection, pings goin bonkers and etc...
  24. MikeE3 macrumors newbie

Feb 5, 2011
    I have 2 (3) with a sleep/display issue

I have 2 with the same issue and 1 I returned with the same issue. So 3 of 3, 2011 MBP shipped to me in the last month have it. Here it is:

The MBP will not wake up from sleep mode. The screen stays black and a hard re-boot must be done. Some times closing an opening the screen will result in a garbage display, some times not. Must hard re-boot to get going again.

The MBP wakes from sleep mode and the screen is garbage. See attached picture. Hard re-boot to fix the issue.

The MBP wakes from sleep but it takes an extraordinary long time before the screen is displayed and then longer before it is responsive to key-strokes or mouse movement.

All have this configuration

MacBook Pro
    2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
    8 GB 1333 MHz DDR2
    15 inch hi-res anti-glare display
    7200 RPM 500 GB Hard Drive

Received 2 of these mid March 2011. One was infrequently having this issue. Returned that one and got a replacement last week. The replacement started showing the issue this weekend. The other 'original' one just had the problem for the 1st time today.

Something ain't right - that's for sure. Would like to hear from anyone else having this or a similar issue.

25. hatersgonnahate macrumors 6502a

Jul 26, 2010
    that similar to what happened to mine before. same specs except mine was 2.0 4gb ram.

only happened once though. no hiccups so far.