MBP 2016 video lags after connecting usb through AV Multiport Adapter

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Topper Harley, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Topper Harley macrumors newbie

Topper Harley

I've bought new MBP Pro 2016 and AV Multiport Adapter. Connected my monitor Dell U2713HM (1440p) using HDMI 1.4v - DVI cable. All was perfect until I have plugged mouse in USB port (also keyboard, iPhone, etc ) . On both screens started appear video lags: some areas with noised lines, lags on shut down and select user on login screen.

What is this? Should I use another cable, maybe with HDMI 2.0 ?

2. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

May be running out of bandwidth on that single USB-C port. Try plugging the USB peripherals in to another port and see if that fixes the problem.
    I agree it shouldn't be a problem, but it's at least step 1 in the diagnosis.

3. robvas macrumors 68030

That's definitely not the issue, for two reasons.

First, an iPhone, keyboard, and mouse aren't going to come anywhere near affecting the bandwidth of a USB-C port. Second, the HDMI connection uses 'alternate mode' where lines on the USB-C cable/connector are dedicated to the HDMI signal and won't be affected by any other traffic on the port.

4. Topper Harley thread starter macrumors newbie

Topper Harley

I have only AV Multiport Adapter to connect my USB devices.
    Maybe I should use USB-C - DisplayPort cable? Or problem, with my laptop?

5. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

I agree it shouldn't be the issue. There's virtually no data coming out of a mouse... But if the multiport adapter is misbehaving, this may help identify the problem. Anyway, just though it would be worth a try.