MBP Gap when closed ? Is this normal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TIMBACK, Feb 28, 2008.

1. TIMBACK macrumors member

TIMBACK

Just bought the new MBP, Is it normal that when you close the laptop both ends strating from the middle have a play in it, it doesnt seem to close snugly.
    Is that normal with MBP? I also have a Macbook which closes tight and doesnt not have any play at the corners.
    It seeems to me that a high end laptop like this would close nice and tight.
    Thanks

2. convert2mac macrumors member

convert2mac

I noticed that on mine too. I would think that it could be tighter, but I don't think it is that uncommon. Mine has maybe a 1/16" gap at the left corner when closed. Not anything I'm going to worry about.

3. Albal macrumors member

4. Icewind macrumors regular

Icewind

I just recently got my 15" MBP and it's the same as you describe. Not sure if it's supposed to be like this, but my old 15" Powerbook G4 was the same. I think it's to do with the mechanical latch as opposed to the Macbook's magnet closing mechanism. My girlfriend's white Macbook closes snug. It's actually pretty damn hard to open it lol.

5. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

The MacBook closes tight because the magnets stick to each other.

Some people disagree with me here but personally I don't see a problem with my MBP not closing flush. I rarely use it while closed (unless clamshelled) and then I do not look at it. It's not like the non-flush close is a productivity problem or a malfunction.

Here's a pic of mine when I bought it:

[​IMG]

I don't give two flying f.... about this seeing as everything else is as perfect as it could be.

6. cms2 macrumors 6502

cms2

I have the same problem... I imagine that they're all like this, and thus there's not much you can do about it... But really, when you only pay a measly two grand for a laptop you really can't expect it to be perfect, can you? :rolleyes:

7. tip macrumors 6502

tip

Yep, it's normal.

When I first got my MBP, I slowly warped it back over a period of time and it was perfectly flush. It's warped again, since I sent it into AppleCare for something unrelated (my display was replaced, however). Hopefully this will be addressed in the next revision of the MBP (e.g., moving the points of contact more towards the edges).

8. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

Pretty normal. My MBP does the same thing as some of the others here. No big deal to me, it still looks and works the same.

9. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Mine does this on the right side, above the superdrive. Every now and then it catches my eye. I don't let it worry me.

10. Cinner macrumors newbie

According to Apple it is not normal, at least that's what they told me when I called to complain about it. But all MBP's I've seen in stores have it as well.

11. PDE macrumors 68020

It has been like this ever since the first powerbook G4 aluminum series was introduced - 5 years ago I think. Some are better than others, but they're pretty much all like that. Amazing to me that Apple hasn't done something to fix it, but they haven't....oh well.

12. johndoe588 macrumors regular

Apple says it's not normal? Every one I've ever seen is warped, ones that have been used for years and brand new ones on the tables at the Apple stores. I see it as a design flaw. I've never seen a MacBook do it, maybe because of the material? It may be a very minor thing but still, it shouldn't be that way.

John B.

13. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

My MBP was that way from the day I got it. There were people in the forums complaining about it, but Apple wouldn't do anything.

My 15" PowerBook and 14" iBook all closed properly, that is, they didn't "bow up" towards the corners.

It's nothing functional, so I don't worry about it.

MacDann

14. OdduWon macrumors 6502a

OdduWon

This has always been a design feature/flaw on all metal cased Apple notebooks. But why? Here is my guess.

The metal cases are more susceptible to denting than the plastic cases. the reason for the gap in the metal cases it the reduction in energy transfer to the case and screen. The degree of rotation that the screen plane experiences is put in equilibrium with the resistive forces from the hinge in it's axis perpendicular to the hinge's rotation, thus there is a gap between the surfaces to prevent the case from being easily dented.

Apple is founded on the geeky aspirations of Star Trek Tech loving Engineers after all. It would not surprise me if this is a design decision based more on engineering and less on the aesthetics of a closed computer's elevation.

15. tbeahrs macrumors newbie

normal

I was worried about this too on my new Penryn MBP. I went to the apple store to pick up some accessories and I was going to inquire about it until I checked the MBPs on the floor and every one of them had the same problem. Its just cuz of the stupid latch lock mechanism. My only beef with the recent update is that they didn't include the magnetic latch like the MBA. Small beef

16. Winglet macrumors regular

Winglet

Normal

I too freaked when I noticed the gap. My right side is slightly larger than left. Could be because I am right handed and open the display with that hand.

I looked at other MBP's in the Apple store and saw that the all were the same so I didn't worry about it.

17. rezonat0r macrumors 6502

Apple sent me a replacement unit based on the picture I took of my 17" (looks alot like the one posted above). The replacement was much better, so some are better than others.

The problem with the screen bending that much is that it affects the spreading of the (back)light. The more bent the screen is, the dimmer that side will appear compared to the other side. Most of the time, the left side is bent, so usually the left side of the screen will be dimmer than the right. It appears to be more of a problem on the 17".

I'm really hoping this isn't as much of an issue though now that the 17" has an LED backlight.

18. MediaRyan macrumors member

I was going to post a new thread wondering about this but did my duty and quickly found this thread.

I just bought a merom (?) previous to penryn generation 15" 2.4ghz macbook pro and love it. However, I kind of was disturbed by this design flaw. I'm a college student and haven't bought a car yet so this is my biggest purchase to date. When I noticed the right side sometimes (isn't consistently doing it) noticeable bending upward I was mad for 2 reasons.

1) I am somewhat of a symmetry loving individual, like most that admire Apple designed products...glaring flaws should be unacceptable, and when I spend big $$ I expect something that at least looks even....this uneven screen on my macbook pro doesn't even require close scrutiny at times. I understand it doesn't bother some people at all, but pity those of us that it does. This is what we were told and shown by Apple:

[​IMG]

2) I am worried that as many here point out, it is normal and just not to worry about it. I cannot stand dealing with customer service if they are resistant since it is not an openly acknowledged flaw (apparently?) by Apple. I am worried about it and I hope to all that is holy that Apple respects me as a customer when I call on Monday morning and see what they'll do for me. Perhaps I'll have luck and get a replacement model with a more evenly latching screen. :eek:

I can't accept that this is within specs....an acceptable "cosmetic blemish." If Apple spurns me, I'll probably simmer down in a few weeks into accepting it, but this is one of those dirty little secrets you don't find out about until you've already bought the machine. Apple's reputation appears yet again to be, inflated. But before I get ahead of myself, I still need to call in and see what happens.

Cheers and good luck to us all! :)

19. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

Even one of the PBs/MBPs I've owned (about a dozen) has had the uneven space in-between the lid and the body. I've fixed every one myself. You just have to flex the display cover in the right spots to get it to straighten out. I did it the other day on my new MBP Penryn.

20. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Every PB and MacBook that I have seen (including the ones at the Apple Store) have had cases that don't close perfectly flush. And I think that the MacBook stays more flush than the MBP, because it closes with magnets making contact at the corners.

21. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

I am fine with it. It doesn't matter at all to me since the darn thing is not used or looked on from that particular angle while closed.
    Exchanging your MBP for this detail is asking to get an even worse one, yellowish screen, overheating etc. etc.

I didn't exchange mine because of this. Had I found other issues I would have accepted a new one without the gap as an acceptable bonus.

Fact is: the gap is there for good until the latchless magnetic design comes. Finito.

22. MediaRyan macrumors member

Would you be willing to explain how you do this?

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'd think it's because the lid is built to counter the closed latch (as in there's some resistance when you try to close the lid)

You can those lid feet to even everything out.

24. Vedhead macrumors member

Vedhead

arent you worried about cracking the display? how hard do you push on it?