MBP Mid 2012 Nvidia GT 650M 1024 MB Lag Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jussio, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Jussio macrumors newbie

Hi all!

I am new on forum and want to ask you a really important question about the problem I'm dealing with now. I am playing Heroes of Newerth on MBP with 8 GB Ram 1024 mb Nvidia GT 650M. I got huge lagging issue and I wonder if my graphic cards switch from Intel Graphics to Nvidia. I also use gfx CardStatus to control the switching and did switching manually but when I use medium performance in the game I still have a huge lagging. Got delay in my moves, it freezes and continues after almost 1 sec and these problems go on during the game. I got a little lag on watching full screen movies from internet too. When I don't make it full screen I can watch them without lagging or .1 sec freezing. It is like playing WoW in 56K modem.

Do you have any idea what the problem is?

I also ping the servers if I have any connection problems but they all seem fine.

Thanks.

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

3. Jussio thread starter macrumors newbie

will it solve the lag I'm getting in movies while on fullscreen?

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

So, I guess you didn't yet, 10.8.3 solved quite a few lag problems for many rMBP owners.

And, if Safari lags you can also get WebKit nightly build, much better.

5. Jussio, Apr 13, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2013

Jussio thread starter macrumors newbie

I get lags on both Safari and Chrome. Scrolling is smooth and w/o lagging but fullscreen is making me crazy. Spent a lot of money for this MBP and now I got confused. Searching for the web for the update reviews but people mentioned it got worse after updating.

Edit: Webkit removes the lag from videos for now but the in the game still got massive lag.

6. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Update to 10.8.3

Make like a Nike sweat shop worker and Just Do It.

7. David58117 macrumors 65816

You may need to reset PRAM and SMC.

I was lagging pretty heavily on games, and after resetting both of those, I'm getting much better FPS.

8. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

If it's a mid-2012 rMBP, be sure to also apply the firmware update (v1.1, iirc). Between 10.8.3 and the new firmware, all the lag/stuttering (in Safari, too) seems to be taken care of.

9. Jussio thread starter macrumors newbie

is it the EFI Firmware Update? http://support.apple.com/kb/DL207

I resetted SMC twice actually. still having the same lag.

10. dilutedq macrumors regular

Update
    To

and do the firmware update.

Here's my review
    Before: laggy
    After: fast.

11. jamesbarns macrumors member

Well if you are having lag problems, and just about everybody has suggested that you update it, the real question you should be asking is why haven't you updated it yet? Maybe you already have and are just too busy experiencing your lag free life to get on the forums and tell us we were right.

12. Jussio thread starter macrumors newbie

No. I still didn't update but I will. I always think this forum suggests the best answers for OSX and therefore here I am. I will update but right now I don't have space in my credit card for App Store :D

Thank you for your replies. Will update and see if I am having issues again. Cheers!

13. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

That's a very old update for Core 2 Duo 2006/2007. You shouldn't have be able to apply it.

See this KB article. It's for the SMC update that came out in March 2013.

14. Jussio thread starter macrumors newbie

mine is not Retina. Should it work on too? I guess mine is this http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1593 but it says "This software is not supported on your system" :/

15. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

No, it wouldn't. It's just for the Retina MBPs. This KB article should list the current SMC/EFI versions for your machine. I'm not familiar any firmware related lags with the non-Retina, but it's usually a good idea to install the latest firmware.

The 10.8.3 update should (as it has for many) fix scrolling lag/stuttering in Safari as it includes fixes to Safari (and the Webkit driving it).

16. Jussio thread starter macrumors newbie

I upgraded to 10.8.3..No firmware updates available right now and I still have that issue in game..I guess this is a hardware issue and unfortunately the town I'm in doesn't have any Apple Store :/ As an Apple Fan, I can't believe I spent that amount of money just for this MBP and got worse from my 5-year-old Acer...

17. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Could the problem be your internet connection? I'm pretty sure that either graphics card should get you 30+fps. I routinely get that with my MacBook Air playing LoL which is similar in graphic intensiveness to HoN. I set everything on high except for shadows which is on medium. Maybe play around with the graphics settings.

Also, what resolution are you using? I get 30+fps when using an 24" 1920x1200 monitor in clamshell mode running the full 1920x1200 resolution. That's just on the Intel HD 4000. I get very similar fps when playing HoN with the same setup.

18. Jussio thread starter macrumors newbie

I was using 1440x900 (which is the highest) and thought that was the problem then set it to 1280x800. All of my settings are at medium (tried low too) and closed the refraction. There is nothing to reduce the performance for game now. I got 100+ FPS when I Command+F to see my FPS. I have 15 Mbits of Internet and also tried to play at different places. I don't think it is a connection problem but :confused:. There is no lag when I use Intel HD 4000 but unfortunately I cannot use it ingame :/

19. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

1440x900 isn't the highest. 2880x1800 is the highest. Seems to be a problem with the graphics chip. The last option is to reinstall the OS in case you installed something that might have broken something in the OS or corrupted some files. Other than that, I'd bring it in to an Apple Store.

20. Jussio thread starter macrumors newbie

I am not able to use this resolution. The highest resolution is 1440x900 to set in game. 1 month old notebook and here comes the format :/

21. Serban Suspended

He said he doesn't have the retina MBP. Also i din't know that a clasic MBP has 650M? so what macbook the OP has?

22. Jussio thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I mentioned before that it's a Macbook Pro 9,1 w/o Retina.

23. Serban Suspended

Ok but how do you have in a macbook pro Geforce 650M with 1024vRam?

24. Jussio thread starter macrumors newbie

Well they were selling it? 2.6 i7 Quad Core 8 GB Ram GT 650M 1 GB Graphics. That's the machine I have.

25. Serban Suspended

Yes you are right, i didn't know if you upgrade the i7 you get the geforce with 1 vram