MBP (Penryn) - Fan or speaker buzz noise?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacroStop, Mar 3, 2008.

1. MacroStop macrumors newbie

hello,

so I bought a MBP (Penryn) 2.4 which I had to return the next day already :(

I hear a constant buzz coming from the right side of the keyboard..
    It could be a faulty fan or speaker..

Anyone else experienced this?

And: do the new MBP's produce more noise as it's predecessors?

My GF's MPB 2.16 is totally silent, I expected the new ones to be that as well..

My MPB is now being examined in the store but whatever the outcome will be I want to know if a high(er) noise level is to be expected..

thanks..

2. MacroStop thread starter macrumors newbie

store diagnosed it as 'dead on delivery' so I get a new one.. :eek:

3. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Good to know (just in case).

4. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Are you sure that's not the oscillating coil in the processor? The C2D's are known to make a buzz/hum.

5. txcdcky macrumors newbie

6. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

I am having the exact same buzzing issue right out of the gate. It is on the right side and is a constant low pitched buzzing that sounds either like a fan or hard drive. The best analogy to a sound would have to be the noise a loose wire, on a home audio system for example, sounds when not properly connected. This noise is pretty annoying in a quite environment and not something I could say sounds appropriate. I have never heard such a consistent noise in the in the nine years I have been using apple notebooks.

I called apple care today and they said it is increased fan speed due to the smaller chips and higher processor speed, which is total bs considering I just had a 2.4Ghz MBP. I am slightly irked by the fact that customer support would come up with such a stupid lie and bothered by this noise even more.

Please post your updated status in resolving this issue and what apple is saying might cause the problem.

7. senorfrog97 macrumors regular

8. senorfrog97 macrumors regular

this is a constant noise that is always present for you guys correct?

9. MacroStop thread starter macrumors newbie

could be.. but my GF's MBP 2.16 is totally silent..
    the store didn't give me a detailed explanation..

it was a constant buzz, right from sec 1 after startup..

the buzz was like the right speaker had a ground loop..

10. zeiter macrumors 6502

oh noes, another problem...god, i guess i will never end up buying my mbp..everyday, a new annoying problem comes up :(

11. MacroStop thread starter macrumors newbie

that is exactly how I would describe the buzzing sound..
    though I doubt it's the HD because it's coming from the right side, HD sits on the left..

I will report back as soon as I get my replacement..

I don't believe that increased fan speed for one bit..
    I mean, it can run faster yes, but not with such a noise level..

12. danzzz macrumors member

Mine has some very little buzz sound from right (fan) too.

So, I guess it should be normal if it only can be heard when you are REALLY close to the machine.

13. TheBigApple2006 macrumors regular

My stock SR MBP 2.2 Ghz had it too after applying 10.5.2 ...I think 10.5.2 changed the fan setting to have it always on, can't recall having it on 10.5.x or Tiger...

14. Lyshen macrumors 6502

Keep in mind not everyone has this problem. Just posts regarding problems are more prevalent than those with no problems and those users are enjoying their MBP.

Given I've exchanged my MBP twice now, my third one is working perfectly.

15. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

this is exactly right! other than this minor problem, which will get worked out, the MBP is fantastic on just about every front. As I said, I have had apple notebooks for over 9 years and there are occasionally some small issues that need to get fixed, that's just the reality of computers. Overall I am impressed more and more with the features and quality of machines apple produces.

16. brandon.vong macrumors regular

Do the speakers of the Penryn MBP seem louder, more powerful compared to the SR MBP? Mine seems to get quite loud compared to the SR.

17. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

im noticing this to on my new MBP, this is the replacement of my other MBP that had slight yellowing and its hard to notice say when theres a TV on, but when its on your lap in a pretty quiet room its very annoying. Back to the apple store it goes tommorrow.

18. Lyshen macrumors 6502

I can't say since this is my first MBP (Penryn). However, the speakers seem rather powerful given how small they are. I can seriously crank it up pretty loud when I played a DVD.

19. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

This is my third MacBook Pro and sixth Apple notebook; I can say unequivocally that these are the loudest speakers on any apple notebook to date and most certainly the loudest MBP. I have one qualification, however,

20. senorfrog97 macrumors regular

Looking forward to an update on how it went.

21. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

The Geniuses really screwed me over saying "It was within spec" and they said they could hear it on the MBP's back there, but i didnt hear it on the ones on display. This is so annoying, its this constant buzzing sound that i hear as i use my MBP. Advice? should i take it back tommorrow and hope another genius isnt such an ass and replace it? this buzzing isnt normal, my MBP that got replaced didnt have it.

I mean i seriously dont know why they call it the "Genius Bar" they definetly arent Geniuses, all they do is go to apple.com and type in hot words to try and have an idea of whats going on, basically they do what every person with a pulse and internet can do. Im very dissapointed with this, especially when another guy in the thread said his was declared dead on arrival and we have the exact same problem.

22. danzzz macrumors member

SAME HERE!!!

Get the replacement from APPLE today - The 5th replacement in 10 days (not including 2 SR ones returned two months ago). Keep getting troubles from previous MBPs: HDD noise, yellowish bottom, dead pixel, buzz fan noise.....

I'm not gonna open the box to "try" my luck again, so I will just take advantage of unopened box return policy to get my money back in full!!!

23. MacroStop thread starter macrumors newbie

got my replacement today; totally silent, as it should be.. :)

not sure if it's because of a first production batch, but there are loads of problems..
    a friend of mine bought one this week as well that had a broken trackpad..

oh, mine has the yellow bottom screen gradient as well.. :confused:

24. TheBigApple2006 macrumors regular

Can you tell us which screen model you have? It's probably a 9C82...by all means, get a replacement for it...

25. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

So what do you guys think i should do? Take it back and hope the another Genius will actually exchange it because this is very annoying. Refer to my post above to know what im talking about.