MBP performance reduces if battery is removed???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jon08, Jan 23, 2009.

1. jon08 macrumors 65816

I remember a while ago some people on here claimed that if you keep the MBP plugged in and remove the battery, this would affect the computer's performance (I couldn't find the thread). I'm not sure whether it was the unibody or previous gen. laptop.

Anyways, is this even true?? If so, for which gen. MBP?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

If you remove the battery from your MBP while its on AC, the CPU and machine as whole will throttle down. Its a big no-no on Apple support pages.

3. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Pretty sure its for most new macs. It the apple website doesnt recommend it b/c of the magsafe and how easy it would be to lose your progress. It also said something about running at half the processor speed i think, reason being that running intensive programs might take more power than what the charger alone can provide. Doesnt make a whole lot of sense why the charger wouldnt be able to fully power everything. If that were the case then wouldnt your battery not charge up if you were using it?

4. Fabiano macrumors regular

That is because the CPU is very power hungry when full loaded, but is very unlikely that you will be able to load the system in 100% for a very prolonged period of time, even doing CPU intensive tasks. As fast as can be the System memory, It will never be able to provide data so fast that cant give the CPU a break. I mean, the CPU is the fastest thing on the system, usually it get some data from the memory and process, then wait for the next stuff to work on. So these peaks will only happen once in a while.

5. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh...interesting. On my previous laptop (Toshiba), I often ran it thru AC with no battery and it didn't seem to have any impact on the performance.

Btw, what difference (performance-wise) does it make really, if you switch between:

Better Energy Savings
    Normal
    Better Performance

I currently keep it on Custom - I have no idea what of the above-mentioned 3 categories this would fall into?

6. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Whether it is still true or not, using any MacBook with the battery removed is a really bad idea. Starting with a big opening in the bottom of the MacBook that will let any kind of junk in; then you have the risk that your power gets unplugged (the MagSafe connector is on purpose quite easy to remove), and finally your battery isn't designed for this.

7. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

Charger being the key word here. It is not a power supply. When using the computer with battery and AC, the AC is providing enough power to the battery to keep its charge level.