MBP Retina and Thunderbolt Display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bitfidelity, Jul 5, 2012.

1. bitfidelity macrumors member

Are there any issues with running the MacBook Pro Retina with the Thunderbolt display? How hot does the notebook get, and how often do the fans pick up? Also, should I expect better performance out of the MacBook since the resolution of the Thunderbolt display is lower than the Retina?

2. JoshRtek macrumors member

I'm also curious to know this, if anyone has already worked with this combination. Thanks!

3. macbook123 macrumors 68000

It doesn't work with the Thunderbolt display, which is part of the reason I sold the display. It also doesn't work with my 30" HP display, which might end up being part of the reason I will sell the RMBP. Can't wait years for Apple to figure this one out.

4. bryne macrumors member

bryne

Mine works fine with a Thunderbolt display?

If it doesn't work with your HP, you might have a cable or adapter problem. Are you using mini-DP to DP or DVI?

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You're either making this up as you go along, or very computer-illiterate. The MBPr works just fine with the Thunderbolt display, and recall that we saw it working over Thunderbolt with two 27" iMacs (which are essentially the same thing in Target Display Mode) alongside another display over HDMI. Your 30" HP display probably needs a dual-link DVI adaptor, which should have been something you could have found out with 30 seconds of research, but of course you probably don't actually have a MBPr, anyways.

jW

6. macbook123 macrumors 68000

Yes, but the cable worked just fine with my Air. (Of course the Airs display didn't go to sleep in clamshell mode but that is a separate software issue that is well known that Apple has failed to fix since 7 months.)

7. Stetrain macrumors 68040

With the laptop closed and a Thunderbolt display connected, it should behave almost exactly the same as a non-retina MBP in the same situation.

The only real difference is the different cooling system, hopefully someone who has used one in clamshell mode for extended periods can chime in.

8. macbook123, Jul 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2012

macbook123 macrumors 68000

And you are making too many false assumptions lol. What is your problem, troll?

I've been using dual link dvi cables for 5 years and never had the problem I'm having with the RMBP. It simply doesn't come on in clamshell mode, I'm only able to use it with the pros display open.

9. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Did you have it plugged in to power? If so it sounds like it's just a bug.

10. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/20...n-run-three-external-displays-simultaneously/

[​IMG]

This is what the rMBP is capable of.

11. macbook123 macrumors 68000

12. dasams macrumors member

dasams

I've had my rMBP for a week. After playing with the retina display, I hooked it up my 27" Thunderbolt display and have been running it in clamshell mode without issues. Note that the TD is running at max resolution of 2560 x 1440.

The rMBP stays very cool and there's no sound from the fans. I don't game and the most demand I place on the system is Photoshop and Lightroom so YMMV. My only complaint is the less than perfect scrolling due to GPU constraints. Hopefully, this will be improved in Mtn Lion.

On a separate note, I run Win 7 in bootcamp for some legacy programs and running the retina display at 2880 x 1800 is a hoot. dave

13. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

does it bother you switching/looking at the 2 different displays? like is there a signifcant difference in clarity

14. Aksta macrumors regular

Yeah the difference is very noticeable if you are close to the 27 monitor then look at the retina display. However from afar it's reasonable. There is also a bit of difference in the contrast. The retina is slightly better then my Samsung sa850 and that is also noticeable. However the contrast on my MBA was pathetic compared to the Samsung so I'm used it to.

15. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

The thunderbolt displays were connecting using the thunderbolt cable on the displays themselves. Each was connected to a different port. The third was connected via the HDMI port.

16. mattonthemoon macrumors regular

mattonthemoon

^^ This guy is obviously a troll.

It works fine with my Thunderbolt display, just as you'd expect!

However, I used to think the Thunderbolt Display had a sexy screen until I got my rMBP, now I see a huge difference.

Still love it though.

17. bitfidelity thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies, all. But can someone confirm that things are actually smoother on the Thunderbolt Display? Meaning, none of the scroll lag that many are complaining about?

18. bossxii macrumors 68000

No clue why some people are having issues but I run dual 27" Thunderbolt displays all day everyday and it work perfect in clamshell mode.

19. macbook123 macrumors 68000

Thanks for being so polite! I bet you and the other guy are two of those people who say big things on the internets but in face-face contact are shy like a kitten. Aka trolls personified.

Anyway, why the hell do you think I would come here to make this stuff up? I have probably spent a factor of several more money on Apple products than you so have no reason to bash them just for the heck of it. The TB display and other displays aren't working with my RMBP. It might be a machine defect or a software issue having to do with my specific settings, yet you're claiming I'm somehow making s*** up? Go find a life, looser.

Back to topic, I imagine that the issue with the TB display was a hiccup, but am pretty sure at this point that the issue with the HP 30"er is something more serious, as I have re-tested the connection with two other laptops since yesterday. If anybody could be so kind to test a RMBP with Apple's MDP-DualDVI adapter and report back, I'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks to all of you who are being patient with me and are making constructive suggestions, instead of just online bashing me!

20. jonfarr macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

Haven't really used clamshell mode on my retina, but it does work. I just use my TD as a 2nd screen that I run my VM on while also running oter apps on the retina. It has been working great and the TD looks amazing, just not as amazing as the retina, but that isnt a problem.

21. mattonthemoon macrumors regular

mattonthemoon

No, I'd still look at you in disbelief and tell you that your comment was absolute BS in person, stating simply "It doesn't work", when someone innocently is asking if the TD display is compatible or not.

Maybe think twice about commenting on someone's question with your own unique technical issue.

Next time say "it should work, but I'm having issues". See the difference?

----------

The only time I see a hint of lag on my rMBP is on Facebook scrolling fast, I wonder if it's the way the site was programmed? But I could really careless about FB :)

To answer your question though, no I see no lag on the TB Display.

22. Tibits macrumors regular

As has been previously posted in similar threads, the rMBP works flawlessly with the Thunderbolt display.

23. dasams macrumors member

dasams

I'm running in clamshell mode so there's no switching between displays. dave

----------

Scrolling is tolerable but less than perfect on the TD in clamshell mode. dave

24. mac jones macrumors 68040

No it doesn't work. All those thunderbolt ports and the HDMI port are fake.

Classic bait and switch.

Be careful :eek:

25. macbook123 macrumors 68000

Wy would you say that? The thunderbolt and HDMI ports work flawlessly for me at least, except for when the tb port is used in conjunction with a usb port to drive an external monitor.