Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjmoly

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2010
Status update

I have upgraded to Mountain Lyon. Before doing this, I cleaned my application of a variety of outmoded programs plus Mackeeper. Subsequently, I have not had any problems shutting down.

Also, I checked with the Apple tech person, there is no problem with the rMBP having sufficient power to run an external display like my 23" Cinima Display.

Best, Mike

jonfarr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2012
Portland
I have upgraded to Mountain Lyon. Before doing this, I cleaned my application of a variety of outmoded programs plus Mackeeper. Subsequently, I have not had any problems shutting down.

Also, I checked with the Apple tech person, there is no problem with the rMBP having sufficient power to run an external display like my 23" Cinima Display.

Best, Mike

I Bought a Thunderbolt Display in tandem with my rMBP and have not had a single issue. My fans dont come on, no overheating of any kind. I game in Paralles on the TD while running safari, itunes and what not on the retina screen. Not a single issue.

Only qualm is having to use the stupid magsafe 2 adapter, but what ever. Not really that much of an issue.

mjmoly

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2010
Thanks

My problem still exists after installing new OS. Time to go back to Apple Support. It is sounding like it might be unique to my machine and set of software.

appletechpro

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
Does anyone know a good way to sync the color profiles of the rMBP + TB display?

It seems the default color profiles on are vastly different on both the rMBP / display, so it's kind of annoying to work on both at the same time.

Has anyone else noticed this?

mjmoly

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2010
My Problem Solved

It's taken a while but I've finally solved my problem with my rMBP hanging when I tried to shut it down.

My problem was due to some remaining Kaspersky files hiding in my files. It seems that a number of individuals have had problems with anti-virus programs and the like.

Here is a link explaining how to find and eliminate my problem: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3372112?start=0&tstart=0

I must say that using the Activity Monitor was a great suggestion. I was able to find a single item that was the culprit.

Good luck.

Best, Mike

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Now that the rMBP have dropped in prices, I'm planning on getting the 13" model. I also have a Thunderbolt Display that has the MagSafe 1 connector.

Do I have to buy the MagSafe 1 to MagSafe 2 adapter (I think it's $10 bucks off Apple) if I want to connect my rMBP to my TBD?

Thanks in advance.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
That's a yes, fella. Goes on pretty solidly though, feels sturdy when it's on.

I pulled the trigger today and got me the 256GB 13" Retina. Loving it so far. Works perfectly well with my TBD. Very happy.

I don't believe I have image retention either from a few brief tests. In any case -- and asking anyone -- how do I check the 13" rMBP's screen manufacturer? The commands for terminal that I've found only don't work...

Thanks again in advance to anyone who answers.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Okay, I don't know what's going on but my Thunderbolt display now refuses to wake. What gives? I've tried rebooting my Mac, unplugging and replugging... it was working fine a few hours ago...

Now I'm reading online that TBD have a lot of issues waking regardless if it's connected to a Mini or Air or Pro. I've been unable to a solution yet...

artschool

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2011
i use my rmbp 15 with my thunderbolt display.

i have to open the lid of the laptop, plug in the cable, then when the laptop is powered up just close the lid and the display takes over.

no configuration necessary and i have the laptop closed for 7hrs without any overheating or any other problems.

its so neat being able to leave the keyboard mouse plus ethernet all plugged into the display.

G369

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2013
Italy
It's working now. Communicating quite well. Not sure what was going on last night.

I have a retina MBP 15 and I'm experiencing the same problems of you.
When I leave the computer in stop, after few hours the monitor won't wake up and there are no way to fix this except waiting few hours with the monitor unplugged.

This is very annoying, I'm planning to bring the monitor to the apple store, since I bought it a week ago.

Do you think is a problem of the monitor or of the computer? :/ :(

Last edited:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I have a retina MBP 15 and I'm experiencing the same problems of you.
When I leave the computer in stop, after few hours the monitor won't wake up and there are no way to fix this except waiting few hours with the monitor unplugged.

This is very annoying, I'm planning to bring the monitor to the apple store, since I bought it a week ago.

Do you think is a problem of the monitor or of the computer? :/ :(

I honestly can't say for sure. My issue was the plug was lose in the back. So that was just a silly user-error problem. Want to double check your plugs?

It's been working fairly flawlessly since then for me.

Good luck.

G369

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2013
Italy
I was suffering of a rare problem affecting the SMC of my retina MBP.
I installed the 10.8.3 and the problem seems to be solved. :)

azizi1985

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2013
What about fan issue?
With my Macbook AIR 11'' i7 and Thunderbolt Display the fans constantly running and make a terrible noise :(. With the MBPR is the same? Please say me that there aren't the same fan issues

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.