MBP screen replaced by Apple, the new one has a dead pixel!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by paola105, May 13, 2008.

1. paola105 macrumors 6502

paola105

I just got a screen replacement on my MBP. Everything is fine, but there's a tiny dead pixel couple of inches away from the middle on the right side. It's especially seen on white backgrounds. :eek:
    It's hard to spot, but once spotted I can't stop staring at it. It's very annoying. So am I pretty much screwed, since I doubt they'll replace it? :mad:

2. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

3. paola105 thread starter macrumors 6502

paola105

great, I just realized I have another dead pixel on the left side.
    It's visible on the dark backgrounds
    Just my luck :(

4. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I believe apple's dead pixel policy is somewhere around 6-8 dead pixels to get a replacement..

Sorry to hear, dead/stuck pixel drives me crazy!! Everytime I look at the screen I always have to point out where it is and tell myself it isnt so bad and I keep looking at it everytime I look at the screen just to make myself remember that it isnt so bad (maybe get used to it). This is one of the reasons why I sold my first 17" hi res mbp because it had a dead pixel on the left side from the middle of the screen.

5. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

try going back. If you complain enough they may replace it. Parts replaced have a 30 day warranty for a "repeat service".

also, I believe Apple remanufactures their LCD panels. You don't get a new one, or at least from what I saw when I replaced one yesterday.

6. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

7. paola105 thread starter macrumors 6502

paola105

ok, I'll try to make an appointment sometime next week.
    I do hope they will replace it because I don't think I can deal with this for another couple years.

8. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

did they ship it back to you, or do it in a store? If in store, did you accept the repair as adequate?

no way in hell id take a replacement screen with dead pixels.

9. paola105 thread starter macrumors 6502

paola105

They did it in the store. It seems like my previous display was better, despite the fact vertical lines appeared while closing the lid.
    I'm not that satisfied with the repair. Yeah, the lines don't appear anymore, but having dead pixels is not cool.

10. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

something as visually important as the display shouldve been inspected very thoroughly before leaving. Take their time up doing it, thats why you make an appointment, and have to wait.

im not sure what your chances are now after accepting, and signing for the repairs. Its really not their problem anymore. :(

11. paola105 thread starter macrumors 6502

paola105

12. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

The pixels might just be stuck. If you leave this (I know it's for iPhones, but it works) flashing over the stuck pixels for a while (leave it sit for an hour perhaps), they might be fixed, but act quickly, the longer you wait, the harder they are to get out. Also, while the screen is flashing, try to "massage" the pixels with light pressure from your finger (in something soft).

13. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I've had stuck pixels stuck in blue, green, red before many times in many different monitors. And I've used the jscreenfix or the colors flashing rapidly and left it on for even 5 days straight didnt solve this.

1 time I had a dell laptop a long time ago and it had a stuck pixel but just flicking it or pressing gently on it made it disappear or reappear (this is what I think people are talking about). If you gently press on the stuck pixel and doesnt do anything, sorry to tell you that your stuck with them.

14. paola105 thread starter macrumors 6502

paola105

I doubt that flashy thing will work. I'm doing it right now.
    I'll try to make another appointment w/ Apple next week, but I doubt they'll replace it. Looks like I'll be stuck with a bad screen for at least 2 years.

15. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

be nice to them, you never know. But in all honesty, id be surprised either way. Apple is pretty good about making customers happy in person (except for my store). They really drag it out there, their genius bar has some real seeds working at it :) and by seed, i mean dumbass.

16. paola105 thread starter macrumors 6502

paola105

The workers at my Apple store are pretty nice. The mac genius said they'll fix my screen when I had problems with it after looking at it for 2 seconds. The repair was pretty quick. Like a day and a half. Hopefully they wont refuse this time. *fingers crossed*

17. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

As long as the manager gives the ok then you should be straight. Usually managers will give the ok though from my exchange experiences and I've had over 15 exchanges at 2 apple stores.

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I went to the Apple Store with my own issues; as long as you are courteous they will be the same to you. A few weeks back a guy was really rude about his iPod hard drive failing; Genius tried to be nice and all, but the customer was just bad... Genius promptly told him the dent on the back of his iPod was the problem. Today the same Genius replaced the iPod of another customer who was really nice and calm (Who's iPod also had a dent on the back)

19. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I have to disagree here, when I returned my 17" hi res mbp for the screen high pitch buzz issue the genius/manager actually tried to tell me he didnt hear anything but did notice a slight buzz but I'd have to pay a restock fee. I was nice to him with the tone and everything then for some reason I got really angry at him because he clearly heard the sound when he was in the back and he just told me himself + he also told me that if I were to exchange for another hi res 17" mbp that it would have the same high pitch issue (which lead me to believe that others came in for the same issue as well).

Without myself knowing I just got angry and I clearly angrily told him, That's the whole point I came down to make an appointment and wasted my time to not pay the restocking fee otherwise I would have not even bothered and paid the damn restock fee for the exchange~!!~:mad: Then he immediately told me ok sure and then he walked to the person who checked you out and told him to get it exchanged to whatever I wanted without the restock fee.

Sometimes a bit of anger/clear/force of what you want is necessary or they'll take advantage of you just because you seem nice.

20. Kaupa macrumors regular

Hi,
    try to find something else. Maybe you have got the yellowing issue or bad illumination (bleeding)?
    Your bad luck is the reason why I wont let my screen replace again. Dont want to get a worse one than mine (slight yellow)...

21. paola105 thread starter macrumors 6502

paola105

seems like the only problem with it is the pixels
    I don't see any yellowing and bad illumination...
    that makes my chances of getting it replaced worse.

22. paola105 thread starter macrumors 6502

paola105

Should I still try and make that appointment??

23. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I'd say if you have no other problems just try to live with the dead/stuck pixels. I have a 3 on my sony psp and after 3-4 months I didnt care anymore when I just used it.

24. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

I'd say give it ago,i've not had to return any Apple products due to dead/stuck pixels but i've had to take windows lappys back because of them,once you notice them they drive you nuts,you have
    nothing to loose so why not?

25. paola105 thread starter macrumors 6502

paola105

Ok, will give it a go next week. *fingers crossed*