MBP vs. MBA ($500 price difference)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jbiggs77, Nov 11, 2016.

?

Which would you buy?

  1. MBA (8GB RAM & 256GB HD) - $999

    3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. MBP (base non-touch bar model) - $1399

    5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  1. jbiggs77 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2016
    #1
    I have a mid 2013 13" Macbook Air with 8gb RAM. It's the best computer I've ever owned but I made a mistake in buying a 128GB HD which is almost always at capacity and has caused a lot of frustration the past 6 months.

    Otherwise, love the form factor, battery life and keyboard. I don't even mind the screen that much.

    I was a bit disappointed by the newest Macbook lineup. I like the new Pro form factor and screen but unsure on keyboard and the price is high, especially considering I'm going to need $100 in dongles.

    Here's my dilemma: Best Buy has a 13" MBA with 8GB memory and 256GB HD for $999 or I could get the new non-touch bar MBP for $1399 (at Microcenter). I'm trying to decide if i can live with only 2 Thunderbolt ports (there is a multiport adapter for $50).

    Any thoughts on pros/cons? I am also trying to factor in future resale value, since I've had good luck selling all my old Apple gear on Craigslist. Thanks!
     
  2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2013
    #2
    Well the air will be about the same as what you have just with more space.

    The MacBook Pro will be faster with a far better screen, only you can decide if that's worth $400 to you. It would be to me I love the screen on my 2013 rMBP, and the new ones are brighter and better.
     
  3. Squonk macrumors 65816

    Squonk

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2005
    #3
    Another option would be to upgrade the storage in your current MBA. Other world computing sells upgrades for the MBA all the way up to 1TB.
     
  4. jbiggs77 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2016
    #4
    I had considered this but it is $300 to upgrade to a 240GB drive. I think I would come out ahead selling my current MBA and getting a new Mac.
     
  5. Squonk macrumors 65816

    Squonk

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2005
    #5
    At that price for an upgrade, I'd tend to agree with your plan to buy a new one. Seeing the low prices of 2.5" SSD's I thought the mba drive would be lower than it is.
     

Share This Page