MBP with HDMI and Blu-Ray?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SephirothXR, Jun 25, 2009.

1. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

I want a MBP but was wondering if I should wait for a model with these 2 features. Can Apple's software support these features, or is Apple just saving them for future models? I might not end up using Blu-Ray a lot though it'd be great to have for the future, but what other port does a MBP have for external displays?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Don't hold your breath for Blu-Ray
    You might be waiting a long time

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. SephirothXR thread starter macrumors 6502

Why though? I guess I won't worry too much about it, but I won't be too happy if next year's MBPs have HDMI and whatnot. How does the MBP connect to an external display though?

4. midgetsanchez macrumors regular

I think displayport is great. I have a displayport to HDMI adapter that works flawlessly.

Blu-ray on the other hand, well...

5. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Apple has DisplayPort, and frankly, that's superior (no licensing requirements). Don't ever expect HDMI on an Apple product other than the AppleTV.

Blu Ray, maybe the next refresh, maybe not. They're waffling too much to give us a solid answer. Apple clearly believes their digital distribution model is good for HD content.

6. SephirothXR thread starter macrumors 6502

This is great to know, so the quality does not go down much? Can this HDMI do audio as well? IT won't be a big deal if it can't but I don't really mind.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

There are several threads already discussing the Blu-Ray issue extensively
    You should use MRoogle to find them and you will see all of the issues/arguments about it

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

8. SephirothXR thread starter macrumors 6502

So everything looks set. I know that these cost more money than PCs but I'm willing to try it. The only thing I'm really thinking about is Windows 7. I must have this on my MBP incase I need a Windows app, but I don't want to pay the hundreds of dollars for a new Windows disc (not the upgrade). I'm going to have to find some way to figure this out. This probably does not go well with the law, but if a friend buys a Windows 7 disc and uses it on his computer, can I still use it on my computer and there wouldn't any issues?

I actually have a Vista SP 2 DISC (which oddly enough came when a Vista upgrade screwed up my laptop and MS gave it to me), so would I be able to use the upgrade disc if I use it on this Vista OS after I put it on a MBP? Though this might just complicate things, I'd rather put Windows 7 as the the sole OS. Won't the Vista SP 2 still take up 10GB even after I override it with Windows 7?

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

The current Windows 7 RC is free, but when the retail comes out it will have to be bought and installed. No, you will not be able to use your friends. It will require activation.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

10. Shiner macrumors 6502

I was unaware that displayport on the MBP sent audio. If it does not handle audio then it is not working "flawlessly".

11. SephirothXR thread starter macrumors 6502

I might be stuck with the Vista SP 2 disc that I have then, that's gonna be fun, lol, but I'll just try and use the Mac OS X as much as I can. Is Bootcamp relatively simple though? As in would I have a lot of problems if I do OSX for browsing and Windows Vista for Microsoft Word for college papers?

12. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

From what I understand some people have success running MS Office for Windows through Crossover without needing a copy of Windows.

Boot Camp is simple if you follow the directions :)

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

13. fairyliquidizer macrumors newbie

Mini Displayport is a pain. If it supported audio it would be fine but currently it gimps the MBP for connecting to my plasma which expects audio and video from HDMI.

Blu Ray and HDMI or even mini displayport with the audio working would be perfect and I could replace my Windows laptop.

Blu Ray is great if you have a large screen but on a laptop it is also handy as who wants to buy a SD (DVD) and HD (blu ray) version of every film you buy.

Apple seams to be losing touch with home cinema integration.

14. harcosparky macrumors 68020

You can get Microsoft Office For Windows - The " Student And Teacher " edition sells for less than $200.

I got that when I converted to Mac, it has Word / Excel / Powerpoinr / Entourage ( email progam ).

15. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Blu-ray: 2015
    HDMI: Buy an Apple TV.

Why do you want a TV port on a computer? Honestly.

16. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

$79 on Amazon right now

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

17. SephirothXR thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a Microsoft Office 2007 disc already, but I can still use the code one more time I believe. Will the code for a Windows version work for the OSX version? I'll still probably use the Windows version but it'd be nice to have quick access to an OSX MS Office.

18. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

No

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

19. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Not a hard equation.
    Computer = Media = 50" Plasma
    Honestly

20. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

But why hook your computer to it? Get a dedicated set top box to stream stuff from your computer. 1920x1080 at 50" at close range... I can't even imagine the blurriness.

21. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

You do realize that AppleTv with it's locked plattform and 1080i and no movies at all in for example Sweden gives that it is pretty useless as a mediacenter. Even a gamesystem like PS3 is a better product. You can not compare a movie download to a full blu-ray in quality.

22. SephirothXR thread starter macrumors 6502

I think I'll definitely buy a MacBook Pro now. I'm looking to get either the higher end 13" model or the lower end 15" model sometime in September so that I'll be able to get Snow Leopard with the MBP, and I'll use Apple's education store for the $100 discount.

One last thing though: Does bootcamp allow you to run Windows and OSX side by side or just run one natively? What is the most popular program to run them side by side (is it free)? And if I install a Windows Vista SP2 on the MBP, should I be able to buy the Windows 7 upgrade disc instead of the actual Windows 7 OS disc and be fine when installing Windows 7 on a MBP? And sorry for so many questions lol but what exactly is Windows 7 RC? Does it expire after a certain date, or is it almost the same thing as Windows 7 but with a few things that aren't tweaked/fixed? Should it be a good substitute to the real Windows 7?

23. JGruber macrumors 6502

Bootcamp allows you to run Win 7 or OSX separate. You would need Parallels or Fusion to run Windows and OSX side by side at the same time, however they are not free, and run about $75 each or so. Bootcamp however is FREE! It's located in your Utilities Folder.

Yes you can install Vista and then Win 7 when it is released some time in September / October. Windows 7 RC is just the Release Candidate, meaning it's close to Gold, gold meaning it's the RTM version (release to manufacturing). The RC will expire in July 2010.

Hope this helps!

24. SephirothXR thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes this helps tremendously! With bootcamp though, do you have to restart your MBP to shift to another OS? I think I'll probably go with Parallels or something though I first need to get my hands on a version of Windows 7.

25. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

Yes.