MBP won't boot (Prohibitory sign) HELP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jgw1283, Jul 8, 2012.

1. jgw1283 macrumors regular

jgw1283

Just FYI, I have this same topic posted in the help forum but no one has responded and I know this section gets more views.....

Just yesterday my 2008 MBP gave me the prohibitory sign upon restarting. I have been using some external USB HDDs lately but haven't deleted any system files or whatnot. To make a long story short, I've tried resetting the PRAM, booting in safe mode (where I'm writing this from) and using Disk Utility to repair permissions and check the disk. I also verified the HD and it said it was fine.

I have NOT yet tried re-installing from my Snow Leopard DVD. If I do this, I just want to make sure it won't delete anything because I haven't used Time Machine in a while so I really can't afford to lose any data. What system files could possibly be fixed by re-installing the OS?

Lastly, what do I do if this step doesn't work? I don't think my HDD is going bad. I haven't ever dropped it or abused it in any way over its life. Thanks much for any info/advice!

2. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I don't know what the prohibitory sign is, but I can tell you that hard drives go bad even if you don't abuse them. Any part can fail.

3. jgw1283 thread starter macrumors regular

jgw1283

4. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

5. jgw1283 thread starter macrumors regular

jgw1283

6. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Look at the link I gave you. Basically looks like you need to reinstall OS, and your data should be fine.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454