MBPr water damaged, how do I get data out?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GrimStranger, Feb 8, 2016.

1. GrimStranger macrumors newbie

So my cat knocked over a glass and poured water right on to the keyboard of my MBPr 13". My bad, should not have had any liquid in a container without a lid near the laptop.

Now the MBPr would not boot and I'm not sure how I can get my data out.

I used to have all of my data synced to other machines for backup purposes but I moved to Germany last year and left all of my gears at my house. And now the cat did this.

I went to an authorized Mac repair shop and was told that the Mac SSD uses different firmware and I can't just get a regular enclosure to retrieve the data. It has to be a specialized adapter/reader.

Did any poor soul have the same experience and got their data back?

2. danwestbrook macrumors regular

danwestbrook

Sorry to hear your laptop is damaged... I would recommend removing the bottom cover and try to dry it out with some paper towels and leave it 48 hours and see if it works. I had a similar problem and work where someone spilt coffee all over a Mac Book Air and after waiting 48 hours it did work. Another option is try to hold the T key on boot up and see if it goes into target boot mode and then you might be able to recover the data with a thunderbolt lead if you have another Mac or a friends you could borrow.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

5. GrimStranger thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try. Fingers crossed.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 9, 2016 ---
    It's a late 2013 MBPr 13". I read in another thread that the OWC Envoy Pro would do the trick. I might give that a try..