McDonalds Apple pay/pie fail (Drive Thru) ApplePieGate

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ultravorx, Oct 22, 2014.

1. ultravorx, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014

ultravorx macrumors member

So, after trying out apple pay at AT&T, which worked flawlessly, we decided to go to McDonalds to get a snack.

We went through the drive through, and at the payment window i asked if they take apple pay. They asked if i wanted an apple pie!?! :rolleyes:

I said no, i want to pay with my phone, eyeing the NFC reader, which looked mobile, above the cashiers head. She asked for my phone!

I told her she cant do it since i need to activate the touch ID. She looked confused, and said they dont take apple, only google, and that the NFC reader was not mobile.

So it appears the the drivethrough area wasnt properly planned in the apple pay deployment. I wonder how many other drivethru issues will pop up.

I know its just rolling out, but someone should have thought this more through!

Frank

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Makes perfect sense to me. They need to process the payment, and you're in a car. I don't think this is apple's fault or McDonalds but rather trying to a use a method of payment that doesn't fit the situation

3. farmkittie macrumors 6502

It sounds like in this case either the cashier didn't know about Apple Pay or possibly this drive thru hadn't gotten their training or equipment yet. I believe that the drive through phase for McDonald's was to be phased in later although many have posted that they've been able to use it.

First world problems and hardly an epic fail. But I'm glad you didn't hand over your phone. What if she dropped it? What if she got fry grease on it, etc.

Title of of your thread makes it look like Apple failed.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think that's the issue. The payment processing equipment, i.e., cash register is inside, the OP was outside in his car. There was no way for him to use apple pay. Only if McDonalds places NFC readers outside would this work.

I don't think its a training issue but rather using the wrong tool at the wrong time.

5. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Most McDonalds have the reader inside right by the window, and can pick it up and hold it outside for use of Apple Pay in the drive through. There are multiple videos of it working this way.

6. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

The Tim Horton's near my house has an NFC reader on the OUTSIDE of their drive-through window area. I haven't tried it yet.... maybe on the way to work this morning! :D

7. ultravorx thread starter macrumors member

This is what i thought, it looked totally mobile, but the lady said she couldnt move it to the window. Even if touch ID wasnt required, it would be a cold day in hell before i let someone else scan my phone!

BTW, im not bashing apple or anyone over this, just stating a fact that they "officially" rolled it out, but cant "officially" use it.

Frank

8. techspin macrumors 6502a

I'm interested in seeing how popular :apple: pay will be by the start of the year. I would've taken the apple pie anyway. :D

9. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

Just wait until someone drops their iPhone onto the pavement at a drive thru trying to touch their phone to the reader. Pay-drop-crack-gate.

10. Acronyc macrumors 6502a

There are probably going to be some issues at franchises and various retailers during the initial rollout. I wouldn't want to hand over my phone either. One solution would be to just not go to McDonalds.

11. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Here they just lean out the window with the POS machine, I tap my card and go.

12. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I think two things need to happen. First, Apple needs to hit their mark for 6/6 pluses sold (I think 60 million in Q4) and there needs to be a rejuvenated interest in using it by people with android devices. Once the demand is there retailers will flood into the system to appear edgy and the rest will follow to avoid looking antiquated.

Then the wallet shall die!

13. Cavmclaren macrumors member

<<<this lol...

Sonic is the only drive thru in my area with card readers/nfcs outside even though I rarely eat there. it's super convenient and i hope other places adopt soon but i would need to create some type of wristband case for my plus bc i'd be the first to drop mine out the window. The outdoor deathgrip struggle is real.

14. deeddawg macrumors 604

Careful on the assumptions. Which is more likely, (a) *nobody* thought to wonder how to handle drive-through or (b) you encountered a cashier who hadn't been properly trained.

Here's the McD's training:
    [​IMG]
    http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/13/mcdonalds-apple-pay-training/

15. poorcody macrumors 6502

poorcody

Yeah I've seen that happen at McDoland's drive-through's when people pay with debit cards -- the cashier holds the payment pad out the window so the customer can enter their pin number.

16. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

As someone who worked a window at McDonald's in my high school days, training was shall we say... Minimal. #

17. foreplay macrumors member

Is it not possible to tap the reader to start the process...

and then moments later while you are 5+ feet away from the reader... touch the ID to confirm the transaction?

18. cynics macrumors G4

This.

That pic above of training is probably posted on a wall and no one looks at it. End of training.

ApplePie gate

19. ultravorx thread starter macrumors member

lol :D

20. DigitalPharmcst macrumors member

DigitalPharmcst

You mean I can't get my Sausage, Egg and cheese McGriddles with Apple pay ? I'm going to the Apple Store and demand a refund for this piece of crap iPhone 6+, no one will keep me from my 1,000 calorie delights.

21. Darkrider macrumors member

Darkrider

you have to think of the education level of a McDonald employee as well. I know that sounds like an ******* thing to say but it's the truth.

22. farmkittie macrumors 6502

The McDonald's that are equipped have device that they extend out the window so that you can hold your phone close to it. Maybe not every McDonald's has the drive thru capability yet.

23. its Dale macrumors 6502

Some places like Jack in the Box have the mobile NFC reader outside the window.

24. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

I worked there too in the late 90's maybe Canada was different but we had great training

25. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. There have been plenty of reports that Apple Pay works at McDonald's.