Medications

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Huntn, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Huntn, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2014

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I recently started taking Zorcor, a Statin class medicine for high cholesterol. My cholesterol is high, but not horrendously high, but has been just over the max recommended of 200 for about 4 years now. Just turned 61. Never had this problem when I was younger and running, but could be that my diet is catching up with me, which I am altering, and I no longer run, but walk briskly due to a bad back.

Just had a physical, doctor recommended it, and I finally gave in. The instructions were to take this once a day at night, just prior to bed. I took it for the first time last night, stayed up an hour after taking it, and within about 15 minutes, I experienced mild waves of nausea. This morning I'm feeling just a tad off, barely noticeable and it is fading as the day passes. I researched it and found that nausea is one of the common symptoms. I assume this might be why it is instructed to take at night time when going to sleep. However one online source said to take it with a big meal to mitigate nausea, except that people don't usually eat large meals just before going to bed.

So anyone out there taking this or a statin medication for cholesterol? I'd like to benefit from your experience. I'll be taking my second pill tonight and I wonder if this "nausea" thing is something that will pass as the medicine gets established in my system or will it be a reoccurring thing?

Thanks! :)

2. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I haven't had nausea from a statin (Lipitor and Crestor), but the reason I was given for taking it at night is that your liver manufactures cholesterol mainly while sleeping.

3. Roller macrumors 68020

It depends on the statin. For simvastatin (Zocor), some studies have shown that it is more effective taken in the evening than the morning. For others, including atrorvastatin (Lipitor), which I take, this doesn't seem to hold true. I've been taking statins for >10 years (I also just turned 61), and haven't had any significant ill effects, other than a slight alteration of liver function.

4. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Thanks guys! I'll just have to see how it goes. If nausea continues, I'll most likely ask to change to something else, but if I'm asleep, it might not matter. I need to research this, is a statin a statin, or can there be significant differences? I'm due back in to the doctors in 3 months for a check on liver function and general blood work.

5. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

That link I posted says:

Interesting. There is no heart disease in my family that I am aware of and most of my Grandparents lived to ripe old ages, although one Grandfather died in his 60s due to leukemia (as I recall). My Father is 86 and has really abused his body over the years with alcholism and smoking, but he kicked alcohol in his 40s and smoking in his 60's and seems to be in decent shape, which I think shows the influence of "good" genes. Taking a cholesterol medicine is just one step to try to increase the odds. I think the major concern with cholesterol is heart attack.

6. Meister, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2014

Meister Suspended

Meister

You guys know that high cholesterol does not cause heart failure. A high carb and trans fat diet does. They cause a chronic inflamation of the capillar walls (like sandpaper for your vens) which in turn causes a subtle strain on your immunity system and in turn on your heart. Cholesterol is merely a transmitter. Lowering your natural cholesterol level with medication is ludacris. The fat-cholesterol-heart problems-myth seems to still stick around.
    If your doctor told you to do this then you should switch doctors asap.

http://chriskresser.com/the-diet-heart-myth-cholesterol-and-saturated-fat-are-not-the-enemy

7. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Been taking Statin for years never experienced the problems you are having. With regard to exercise, I also have a bad back in fact had Surgery for it which helped a bit. I would recommend Bicycling I find it great for getting exercise with back problems, probably the support you get from the saddle or something.

8. .Andy, Mar 22, 2014

.Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Well it does. It is a risk factor for atherosclerosis which in turn causes ischaemic heart disease which in turn is a leading cause of heart failure.

Only if you equate evidence-based as "ludacris". Lowering cholesterol with statins has been shown to decrease adverse cardiovascular outcomes in a myriad of strong trials.

I'd trust doctors and evidence-based medicine over an acupuncturist and their non-evidence based money making shams any day. YMMV.

9. Meister, Mar 22, 2014

Meister Suspended

Meister

Messing with your bodys cholesterol level by inducing drugs into your system is a terrible idea.
    Your body has good reason to produce more or less cholesterol. Why on earth would you want to mess with that?

Very recent cambridge study: http://annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=1846638

http://www.newsmaxhealth.com/Dr-Bla...tion-DrRussell-Blaylock/2013/10/02/id/528866/
    http://anh-europe.org/news/blowing-the-lid-on-statins-and-the-cholesterol-myth
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercola/the-cholesterol-myth-that_b_676817.html
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/267834.php
    http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/healthsc...sterol-myth-what-really-causes-heart-disease/
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...ience-behind-lowering-cholesterol-levels.aspx

I wouldnt worry so much about artificaily lowering your cholesterol than watch your body, excercise and diet.
    The best thing is to eat food that our body naturally is acustomed to. That means fruit, vegetables, meat and fish.
    Avoid processed food like carbohydrates, bread and vegetable oil.

10. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I would generally agree with the post above, with the exception of the highlighted portion.

While dietary sources of cholesterol are avoidable, familial hypercholesterolemia is not. Very high cholesterol levels caused by that condition need to be lowered, and at this point statins are the best available method. If one has familial hypercholesterolemia even total avoidance of dietary cholesterol will not be effective.

11. Meister, Mar 22, 2014

Meister Suspended

Meister

Ok. Extremely high cholesterol caused by a genetic condition might be an exception.
    The OP doesnt have that condition. His doctor is putting him on drugs just for the hell of it.
    My parents always told me to stay away from doctors and as I get older I more and more understand why.

12. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

OP sates that his cholesterol level is about 200. That is very high, so I would not consider prescribing statins for a person with that level of cholesterol prescribing "for the hell of it".

Source

13. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Doctors, man...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

14. Meister, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2014

Meister Suspended

Meister

1. High cholesterol by itself might not be a symptom and doesnt necessarily need to be treated
    2. Your source is about ldl-cholesterol. the OP made it seem like he meant overall cholesterol
    3. Cholesterol levels rise with age and just over 200 is in fact very low for a 61 year old male
    (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3422148 and http://bibd.uni-giessen.de/gdoc/1999/uni/d990002.pdf)
    Sadly one of the links isnt available in english

15. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Again, only if you think evidence-based medicine is a "terrible idea".

This is a terrible logical fallacy. Your body also produces blood clots that cause heart attacks, pulmonary emboli, and DVTs. It also produces cancer. Just because your body produces something doesn't make it normal nor does it make it good.

This study says nothing about statins. It is a meta-analysis of dietary fats.

Mercola and newsmax. Two of the absolute worst sources of information in the Internet. You are plumbing the depths of depravity.

16. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Plaque buildup leads to cardiac arrest. Happened to my fit neighbor when he was in his 40's. However he was a heavy smoker which I believe can constrict arteries making plaque buildup more likely.

Thanks!

I did not read through your links (yet) but I'll get to them and add some of my findings at the end of this post.

This is what I am familiar with.

Thank you!

After reading the following links, I have to rethink my decision to take Zocor. My links:

A really interesting article: I had forgotten that the liver produces cholesterol and that did not know the bolded below: What Most Doctors Won't Tell You About Cholesterol

Great article:
    What's the difference between LDL and HDL cholesterol? Why excessive LDL is bad, and high HDL is good.

How to encourage your body to produce less cholesterol:
    Portfolioplus Diet: Chapter four Stop Making Cholesterol

17. Shrink, Mar 22, 2014

Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

BTW: I've been taking a statins for years...stupid me!:p

:rolleyes: ;)

18. Meister Suspended

Meister

You have a good point there. I still dont think that messing with your cholesterol is a good idea unless a medical condition is involved. High cholesterol initself is not a medical condition.
    It is. Over decades doctors and pharmaceutical companies have promoted a certain diet to lower cholesterol.
    Fast food restaurants even had to change their recipies under public pressure.

McD for example used to fry in animal fat they had to change to processed trans fats.
    Now we know that this was nonsense and made millions of people sick.
    Now the same doctors and corporations promote these medications.
    This study (among many) debunks this nutritional myth.

Opinions about medicine are controversial and so are opinions about sources on the Net.
    I have to admit that i had some better sources but not on hand atm.

----------

Chronic inflamation leads to cardiac arrest, too.

It is your health. Please take everything (including my links) with a grain of salt and healthy scepticism.

I wish you good health :)

19. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Fixed that for you.

/me runs away

:p :D

BL.

20. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Damn you autocorrect!:eek:

About the staining thing...well...I'm old.:(

Never mock the afflicted...

21. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I made some notes in your post. Thanks for taking the time. Right now, based on an absence of heart disease running in my family, I am considering stopping this medication. I've seen two different doctors in the last 3 years and both of them saw cholesterol above the recommended level and they seem to automatically say "take cholesterol lowering medication". And they've offered me no advice on the pros or cons of taking such medication. :-\

22. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Wait...I'm not clear on you point here. 3 docs, seeing that your cholesterol was dangerously high, recommended taking a statin. Of course they "automatically" say it...it's a proper and scientifically supported clinical response.

Is that bad? Or does it demonstrate that multiple docs, seeing your lipid levels were unacceptably high, were concerned that you needed to lower those levels.

Please understand, whether you take statins or not is none of my business. I'm just questioning the logic of the post.

Oh...wait...I forgot...high cholesterol is not a medical condition. It is here on Earth...but what one chooses to do about it, or not, is a totally individual decision. Just suggesting that the decision, whatever it might be, be based on solid scientific data.:)

23. Meister Suspended

Meister

He mentioned two docs. High cholesterol could be a sign of a medical condition.
    The OP should seriosly consider the advice given by two doctors but also take it with a grain of salt.
    Like all advice.
    The role of cholesterol counts in predicting heart disease is highly controversial.

I have seen doctors giving medical advice based on very solid scientific data and they were horribly wrong!

24. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Thanks for asking. It's 2 doctors in 3 years. Apparently there is a reason I've resisted. ;) After I've educated myself online, it seems like these doctors should speak of the pros and cons of these medicines, along with their effectiveness, and any controversy surrounding them. I got none of that, "just take this". The info in the links I've read in this thread really troubles me.

My test results: (standard range)
    Cholesterol 208 (100-199)
    Triglycerides 214 (0-149)
    HDL Cholesterol 29 (>39)
    LDL Cholesterol 136 (0-99)

25. Meister, Mar 22, 2014

Meister Suspended

Meister

I know the people on this thread will jump at me again but please read up very sincerely on cholesterol counts.
    Your count is considered quite normal for your age.
    Also: your count can vary from day to day.

The 'ideal' counts given by the lab are very unprecise since counts vary acording to gender, age and your diet that day.

Prescribing medication based on one blood reading is irresponsible to say the least.