Men who wear pink

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Why is there so much opposition to men wearing pink? I thought that it became acceptable like 10 years ago.

It's just a colour. Girls can wear blue, and guys can wear pink. It's not like pink is inherently a girl's colour, while blue is inherently a boy's colour. It doesn't make sense. :confused:

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
I have no problem with men wearing pink except it's way too 80s for me.

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
maybe because pink looks so bad one so many people regardless of gender?

I don't like pink clothes or wall paint or bed sheets.

I dont care what people wear, its their choice but I don't like when people get me clothes in colors that may be in style but clash with my coloring and make me look half dead.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Personally I think pink looks much better on some men than on most women, but it doesn't suit everybody in my opinion.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
I remember reading somewhere that pink was once considered a manly hue, while lighter blues were seen as the sort of thing that girls should wear. From what I recall, this was considered the case well into the last century.

EDIT: Here you go...

"If you like the color note on the little one's garments, use pink for the boy and blue for the girl, if you are a follower of convention." The Sunday Sentinal, March 29, 1914

"There has been a great diversity of opinion on the subject, but the generally accepted rule is pink for the boy and blue for the girl. The reason is that pink being a more decided and stronger color is more suitable for the boy, while blue, which is more delicate and dainty, is prettier for the girl." Ladies Home Journal, June, 1918

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Jaffa Cake said:
I remember reading somewhere that pink was once considered a manly hue, while lighter blues were seen as the sort of thing that girls should wear. From what I recall, this was considered the case well into the last century.

Yeah, maybe up North!;)

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
bartelby said:
Yeah, maybe up North!;)
A number of the sources in the link are from American publications – we certainly wouldn't have wasted good coin on coloured baby clothes oop north, you know. ;)

I remember too that, in the early days of football, pink was a very popular colour for team strips – what with it being such a manly colour and all that. You wouldn't catch my Jaffatar™ dead wearing it, though. :D

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
I was talking about this while walking around Bluewater with a friend the other day. Even young boys are being dressed up in pink tops now and it just looks wrong.

Perhaps one in five guys we saw was wearing something pink, usually a pale pink but sometimes much brighter. One couple were walking along with her in a bright pink top and him in a pale one, my eyeballs nearly started to bleed.

In baby terms yes, blue is boy, pink is girl. However, after that blue does not remain 'boys only'. Action Man isn't blue. Pink, however, is barbie, it's my little pony, it's just a girls colour through and through.

Men: Don't wear pink.

dobbin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2002
England
I've often wondered why pink is called pink and not pale red :confused:

I can't think of any other colour that changes it name totally just because its mixed with white.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
dobbin said:
I've often wondered why pink is called pink and not pale red :confused:

I can't think of any other colour that changes it name totally just because its mixed with white.

Black and grey :D

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
It's like: "Look, I am so macho and so comfortable with myself that I can even wear pink. Check me out, I am such a stud!" It's almost like a statement, and a somewhat arrogant one at that. Hence, rather unappealing.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
iBlue said:
It's like: "Look, I am so macho and so comfortable with myself that I can even wear pink. Check me out, I am such a stud!" It's almost like a statement, and a somewhat arrogant one at that. Hence, rather unappealing.

Or "All the trendy magazines tell me to wear pink and as I have no imagination or sense of style I like what I'm told to like"

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
In my opinion blokes wearing pink just screams "I'm a sissy metrosexual" to me. I think it looks silly. Yes, I don't like sissy metrosexuals.

And yes, it's just a colour but that doesn't mean it's not a crap colour. Fluorescent "80's" green and similar colours are also crap and shouldn't be worn unless you want to look like you entered the pub in 1985 and haven't left since.

jamesi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2005
Davis CA
i have a few shirts in pink and i get comments on them everytime i wear them without fail. the good thing is that it gets you used to talking to random ppl. also, girls love it. like really love it, i dont see why it should be rewarded but hey ill take it.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Chundles said:
In my opinion blokes wearing pink just screams "I'm a sissy metrosexual" to me. I think it looks silly. Yes, I don't like sissy metrosexuals.

And yes, it's just a colour but that doesn't mean it's not a crap colour. Fluorescent "80's" green and similar colours are also crap and shouldn't be worn unless you want to look like you entered the pub in 1985 and haven't left since.
You must REALLY hate Pink Flourescent socks then? :D

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Pink shirts and ties are very fashionable amongst the London business community at the moment. It's only a problem when the two are combined, which seems to be becoming more prevalent. One or the other is fine, and look good with a dark suit, but never together.

I like pale pinks and have both a formal shirt and a T-shirt in that shade. The more extreme pinks (Barbie like, if you will) are definitely to be avoided though. They only work if contrasted with other completely different colours using stripes and such.

Mind you, where officially does pink stop and other colours such as Burgundy begin?