Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bastienff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2024
Hello everyone.

When I switch from a maximized desktop with the menu bar hidden to another where there's no app in fullscreen using trackpad sweeping, the menu bar app icons disappear for a moment, only the app icons disappear and not the finder menu.

Does anyone else experience the same thing? Any ideas on how to fix it? I've tried everything but nothing works.

This happens with a brand new mbp m3 max and with a mbp m1 pro. Both with latest Sonoma update 14.4 (24E214)
This is not happening with an old intel Macbook Air 2018 with intel processor with latest sonoma as well.
This is not happening when i am using dual monitors.

This is driving me crazy as it's too distracting. I'm not sure if this happens in macOS versions prior to 14.4.
Here is a short vid to show you.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bRqb6fk54XQI-ZEXEA1krebbP9BUvuFS/view?usp=sharing

Thanks in advance for any help!

bastienff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2024
That's how it works (MacBook Air M3, Sonoma 14.4).
Yes, it seems that only on MacBooks with ARM processors it is behaving like this, but my point is that maybe it shouldn't be like this.

Here is a vid of a MacBook Air 2018 Intel with Sonoma 14.4 and this is not happening.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/108KoJ33eRBjX13LVAhxxJJh4F_pNJi6a/view?usp=sharing

I know this may not be a big problem (maybe?), but i work a lot switching between spaces, and having ADHD, this is really distracting 😢.

Last edited:

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Odd, though I don't find it annoying. I suspect/assume it is to do with full screen on a Mx MBA/P excluding the notch. So I am guessing (but can't test) that the effect is not apparent on notchless Mx Macs as well as Intel.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I see that behavior too on my M1 Max. My "Best guess" is it's not As-Designed behavior, so you could file a bug report if you're a dev or apple.com/feedback if you're not. The priority they'd put on fixing it may not be all that high given the limited impact of the issue, but of course it could be a simple fix too. No telling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.