Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

james2538

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
I can't get my iPod adapter to work either. I have the DICE for my BMW but it just plays music and doesn't charge.

It worked great with the 1st gen iPhone.

james2538

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Bad News

It's the removal of firewire charging that is screwing everyone over. I can't use my built-in car iPod adapter for charging now!

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1476

(Note: iPhone 3G does not support FireWire and will not charge from any FireWire-based power source.)

I really hope they provide an adapter for this because I AM NOT going to un-install my whole iPod set-up.

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Apple designed the original iPod dock connector to allow charging on two different pins of the connector. One of them charges the iPod at 4 volts and the other charges at 12 volts. The 4v one is called the USB charging pin and the 12v is called the Firewire charging pin.

Most car adapters and some other devices charge via the 12v Firewire pin.

Unfortunately (as mentioned above), Apple has removed/disabled the 12v Firewire charging on the iPhone 3G. If you connect an iPhone 3G to a connector cable or device designed for 12v Firewire charging, the iPhone 3G will display a warning message that charging is not supported by the accessory.

I have iPod connectors in both of my cars and neither of them will charge the iPhone 3G. But since I never use my iPhone as a sound source in my cars (I have an 80GB iPod for that), it's no big deal. I'll simply throw a USB-based cigarette lighter adapter and USB iPod cable in the car's glove box for those rare times when I might need to recharge my iPhone 3G in the car.

(If you buy a cigarette lighter adapter that has a female USB port on it, you're good to go. If you buy a cigarette lighter adapter that has a Firewire port on it, it won't work with iPhone 3G. Likewise, a cigarette lighter adapter that is hardwired to the iPod connector is almost guaranteed to be a Firewire-based charger and wont work with iPhone 3G.)

Mark

Joe23

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
Same here. I get the "Not compatible with iPhone - cannot be used for charging".

That's using a 3rd party charger, though. Still... worked with the previous iPhone. Pretty poor show, Apple.

winstano

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2005
Apparently Apple have disabled firewire charging, which is causing this problem with old chargers... All USB ones should still work

steveapp

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Same here. I get the "Not compatible with iPhone - cannot be used for charging".

That's using a 3rd party charger, though. Still... worked with the previous iPhone. Pretty poor show, Apple.

Hey

I was told this is because Apple are moving away from Firewire. Cant see why that would make a difference and didnt think the original iphone had firewire connection options but could be wrong.

Does anyone know if the belkin car charger / fm tuners will work with the new iPhone, would quite like one for long car journeys.

On the pls side my battery seems to be lasting much better today after a couple of cycles and a long overnight mains charge (fingers crossed!)

Stephen

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Tried it here with the same results. It's annoying, and I don't really know why Apple have done it but I'd rather it played and didn't charge than charge and not play!

This reminds me of the fiasco with disabling video out for non-approved devices when they released the new iPods. One of Apple's less endearing features is the way they randomly do things like this

As for being inexcusable, I guess Apple's excuse will be that they are iPod accessories, not iPhone accessories (not saying I agree with that, but I think that will be their stance)

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
I think this is nute, what do I do with my bose sound dock and ihome and all the other stuff that charged every single ipod since I got these.

It is totally beat and no one is talking about it!

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I think this is nute, what do I do with my bose sound dock and ihome and all the other stuff that charged every single ipod since I got these.

It is totally beat and no one is talking about it!

It doesn't even charge in my Apple iPod Hi Fi!

EDIT
It seems like the issue may be related to how systems charge the iPods: According to this report, it because they've completely removed support for FireWire charging (or FireWire based charging). I'm guessing that some of these devices put their power down the firewire charge pins to the iPod dock (to support older devices), and therefore can't charge the iPhone. Apple will apparently be bringing out adapters to support these devices

Stangs55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2007
The Lone Star State
Classic Apple. I mean seriously...if you're still surprised when Stevie does stuff like this then you have blinders on.

Hopefully enough of a fuss will be raised and he'll change it with iPhone3...much like the recessed headphone jack he implemented in iPhone1 to force people into buying apple headphones.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Hey

I was told this is because Apple are moving away from Firewire. Cant see why that would make a difference and didnt think the original iphone had firewire connection options but could be wrong.

Does anyone know if the belkin car charger / fm tuners will work with the new iPhone, would quite like one for long car journeys.

On the pls side my battery seems to be lasting much better today after a couple of cycles and a long overnight mains charge (fingers crossed!)

Stephen

Apple haven't supported FireWire for data connections for a while, but left in support for charging via a FireWire adapter (presumably the power from FireWire cables goes to different pins on the iPod connector). With iPhone 3G they've finally ended support for that type of charging so any accessories that charge over the FireWire pins won't work. I guess a lot of accessories do that to support the widest range of iPods, but now Apple have removed support from iPhone 3G, they won't charge it. I understand Apple are bringing out an adapter to fix the problem some time in the future.

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
Hey

Stephen

It's true. With the original iPhone I could always charge it with my Firewire cable but now with the 3G it will not charge over Firewire. Which of course sucks. Firewire charges were much faster and didn't hassle me with the iPhone connecting to iTunes every time I needed a charge. So yes, Firewire is really being abandoned by Apple. :/

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
It doesn't even charge in my Apple iPod Hi Fi!

EDIT
It seems like the issue may be related to how systems charge the iPods: According to this report, it because they've completely removed support for FireWire charging (or FireWire based charging). I'm guessing that some of these devices put their power down the firewire charge pins to the iPod dock (to support older devices), and therefore can't charge the iPhone. Apple will apparently be bringing out adapters to support these devices

That's exactly what I want an adapter for my alarm clock and soundock.

they should have made people aware of this!:(

kevinbal

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2006
Storrs, CT
The official Apple "universal" dock that I bought with the iPod 5.5 gives the "this device is not compatible" message too. What has changed between this iPhone 3G and every other iPod that uses the dock connector? I really hope it is just a firmware/software glitch (like the forever spinning beachball with iTunes 7.7) and will be resolved soon.

jacksam101

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2006
Crewe (UK)
I have an Intemp dock/DAB/FM combo - whilst I get the message on the iPhone that the dock was not designed for the iPhone 3G. It does charge the iPhone 3G and the dock also works.

The iPhone still operates OK whilst in the dock too.

pattoniscool

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2007
Anyone buy the Griffin Powerjolt SE in the store when they bought their 3g? I did and I don't think it will work, AT&T probably didn't know this as well, everyone seemed to be buying one.

equistroke

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2007
My 1st Gen car charger works with my 3G.

Firewire will charge my 1st Gen--no data transfer.

Firewire will not charge 3G.

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
I can confirm that my cigarette lighter charger that charged my first gen iPhone without any issues whatsoever will NOT charge the 3G iPhone. I plugged it in and a warning came up saying "this device is not compatible with iPhone 3G".

Not amused, another £10 down the drain on a new car charger as I absolutely will need to be charging it when using GPS on long car journeys, GPS sucks the life out of a battery quicker than you can blink.

Same with me ... annoying new "feature," they lock out non iPhone Tested chargers even if they worked with first gen iPhones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.