Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spurbs

macrumors member
May 28, 2010
2. What about the eligibility dates for using someone else's upgrade?
They renew the other person's contract (upgrade), but the iPhone will be activated on your line.

Just to clarify, if I want to make Line 1 the new iPhone, but line 2 is the one eligible for the upgrade, will the Apple store just upgrade Line 1? Or do they have to upgrade line 2 then switch the phones in the computer. Or would I have to go to an AT&T store?

The only reason I ask is that line 2 is a blackberry. which has a separate data plan, and I don't know how easy it will be to change that

thanks

elephunkman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 27, 2010
Boston
2. What about the eligibility dates for using someone else's upgrade?
They renew the other person's contract (upgrade), but the iPhone will be activated on your line.

Just to clarify, if I want to make Line 1 the new iPhone, but line 2 is the one eligible for the upgrade, will the Apple store just upgrade Line 1? Or do they have to upgrade line 2 then switch the phones in the computer. Or would I have to go to an AT&T store?

The only reason I ask is that line 2 is a blackberry. which has a separate data plan, and I don't know how easy it will be to change that

thanks

Apple stores won't do all that for you. They just have the power to upgrade one line but not to switch around the phones to another. Basically, Apple will just upgrade line 2 and leave the rest up to you to change the phone to Line 1. It's best to do this at AT&T.

elephunkman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 27, 2010
Boston
Great thread. It's just too bad people will still continue to make numerous threads recycling the same topic regardless.

At least we can refer them to this thread, it'll help if we PM mods to make this a sticky until iDay.

tnisatard

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
great thread, i finally have an answered about using my secondary line's upgrade at the apple store

props to you OP

on the side note, does anyone know if i can use my secondary line's upgrade eligibility online somehow so i can preorder and pick it up at the apple store or at&t store

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
great thread, i finally have an answered about using my secondary line's upgrade at the apple store

props to you OP

on the side note, does anyone know if i can use my secondary line's upgrade eligibility online somehow so i can preorder and pick it up at the apple store or at&t store

Yes, but when you pick it up at the Apple store, they will activate it on that line before you leave the store. You can always take it from there and do whatever swapping of phones you need.

tnisatard

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
Yes, but when you pick it up at the Apple store, they will activate it on that line before you leave the store. You can always take it from there and do whatever swapping of phones you need.

sorry can you clarify what you mean

activate on which line? my primary or secondary

and when you say swapping of phones? i dont think its possible since the new microsim

elephunkman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 27, 2010
Boston
sorry can you clarify what you mean

activate on which line? my primary or secondary

and when you say swapping of phones? i dont think its possible since the new microsim

Activate it on the line eligible for upgrade as you stated. Swapping of phones meaning they can swap your current phone to a different line in their system.

wingnut8

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Wait? So what's the deal with having an individual FAN and buying a new phone?

sjsharks13

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
If I am using someone elses upgrade on my family plan I know I cant just switch the sim cards because this phone will be using a micro-sim. Can you just walk into AT&T and ask for a microsim with your number programmed in?

elephunkman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 27, 2010
Boston
Wait? So what's the deal with having an individual FAN and buying a new phone?

Please refer to the FAQ on page 1. Individual FAN pay their own bill and phone but get a discount. Corporate FAN has their company pay a portion of their bill or pay for their device.

Fisher624

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
Does your FAN have to be cancelled?

I have an individual FAN, does it have to be cancelled
in order to get the new phone? I figured it would just continue to be applied as I am not making any other changes to my account.

elephunkman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 27, 2010
Boston
I have an individual FAN, does it have to be cancelled
in order to get the new phone? I figured it would just continue to be applied as I am not making any other changes to my account.

Don't think you will have any issue. It's the corporate FAN that will run into things

nateharr

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
I've got a question:

Ok, so I have an iPhone 3GS that was purchased in December 2009. I want to upgrade to the new iPhone as cheaply as possible.

I understand that I can upgrade another line on our account. (Probably my mom or dad's because they haven't had nor want an iPhone.)

My question is, after doing this what will happen with my number? Can I cancel the iPhone data on my line and then upgrade my parent's line to an iPhone? Then swap them and everything will be Kosher?

I am also interested in selling my iPhone before I do all of this.

Can I sell my iPhone online, cancel my data plan, upgrade my parent's line to an iPhone and then swap the numbers?

zizo79

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2009
QQ Part
I bought my 3GS last year on launch date and my upgrade date is set for 11-19-10. I pay about $95/month on my line and tried everything with AT&T to get my upgrade date moved to June.
Do you guys have any tips ? Thanks

elephunkman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 27, 2010
Boston
I've got a question:

Ok, so I have an iPhone 3GS that was purchased in December 2009. I want to upgrade to the new iPhone as cheaply as possible.

I understand that I can upgrade another line on our account. (Probably my mom or dad's because they haven't had nor want an iPhone.)

My question is, after doing this what will happen with my number? Can I cancel the iPhone data on my line and then upgrade my parent's line to an iPhone? Then swap them and everything will be Kosher?

I am also interested in selling my iPhone before I do all of this.

Can I sell my iPhone online, cancel my data plan, upgrade my parent's line to an iPhone and then swap the numbers?

Nothing will happen with your number. You could always upgrade using your parent's line and have at&t just swap that phone to your line. No data cancellation needed since it will be added back on anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.