[Merged] Debating "Retina Display" Claims

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mjoshi123, Jun 9, 2010.

1. mjoshi123 macrumors 6502

mjoshi123

As per this post it seems like Steve Jobs is once again up at putting FoRD (Field of Reality Distortion) on his fan community. It would be interesting to see how well critics review the device once they get it.
    Steve Jobs has already been busted for exaggerating the resolution of a new iPhone screen the Apple CEO unveiled yesterday. It's only the latest in a series of misleading videos, pictures and claims designed to part you and your money.
    http://gawker.com/5558442/how-apple-tricks-you

2. Dragonforce macrumors 6502a

Dragonforce

3. LedCop macrumors regular

LedCop

I believe the correct and popular terminology is Reality Distortion Field (RDF). It's more catchy too.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

A Gawker link. LOLz. They have no axe to grind.

6. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

This is stupid. He was just using an example that would make it easier to tell the difference. Not trying to RDF you or whatever.

7. r3voLoL macrumors member

Did Steve lie to us about the display?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/198402/does_the_iphone_4_really_have_a_retina_display.html

8. Anonymouslives macrumors 6502

Anonymouslives

I'll be sure to email him and ask him, on my new iPhone 4:D

9. BobHail macrumors 6502a

10. jtara macrumors 65816

Hey, it'll work for me just as well as it works for Steve. We're the same age.

Until, of course, he finds he has to have his arm lengthened.

11. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

reminded me of this law suit from a few years back.

Apple Sued for iMac Display Deception, Steve Jobs Suspected Closet Megatron

12. chriskzoo macrumors 6502

This is your error. The normal viewing distance is not 12", it's probably closer to 22" or just short of arms length.

13. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Who cares? Everyone who has used it says the display is stunning.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

From the article:
    So while technically Jobs was not lying (but he wasn't being truthful if that makes sense), clearly the iPhone's display is not a retina display at a normal usage distance and the user has normal vision.

Is that bad, no, is that marketing, yes. Name one product that is being sold that doesn't exaggerate its features.

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Exactly...

FWIW, I remember when laser printers made the jump from 300 DPI to 600DPI. It was evident. However, the jump from the inkjets of that day (regardless of stated DPI, which was sometimes already higher than 300DPI) to a 300DPI laser printer was a much bigger deal. I haven't seen the new screen yet, but Apple's claim that it is about as pixel dense as is really necessary is probably not overly unreasonable... well, we'll see, I guess.

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Well if you are holding the phone at arms length and are at 8 and 12 inches viewing distance, wait a few years you big baby ... and your arms will grow into Apple's claims.

17. profets macrumors 68040

I agree. I think the whole "Retina Display" is just a way for him to market it. Otherwise how would the general public really understand it, as the iPhone isnt advertised based on specs like other phones are.

Can't wait to see this display in person. Can't imagine a resolution of 960x640 on a 3.5" screen, you'll have to hold the screen very close to your eyes to start seeing any pixels i'm sure..

18. Cougarcat macrumors 604

It has a resolution as high or higher than print magazines, so I fail to see why this matters.

19. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I'm fairly confident he was just feeding us half-truths. He's a great showman and genius marketer. But, he doesn't tell the undistorted truth, but bends it considerably. He's told us that the iPhone gets the "full" internet. He showed iPad screens displaying Flash content. He also keeps spouting this "magical" crap.

That said, for many of us with a brain, he doesn't need to use his Reality Distortion Field on us. We would buy if if he just told us the plain and simple truth. However, for people function with a half-brain (millions and millions), he really needs to spin things majorly or he wouldn't sell any of his iDevices.

20. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I do not know about you but I do hold my phone out that far nor do most people I see holding a phone. Instead they hold the phone at 1/2 arm length or less.For me I find myself normally using my phone about the same distance from my face as as I read a book which is about 12in.

As for the marketing pitch. Apple has a long history of being full of ****. I can think of multiple examples from the past were apple got caught lieing. Back during the switch between G4 and G5 chips on the iMac apple showed graphic at the 'huge" improvements in gaming performance on the computer. Barefeet did a test and yes while it was better it was only marginally better. Not the 50% that apple showed it was. Shortly afterwards that ad was removed from apples site.

21. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

My arms are longer than that.

C.

22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I thought magazines were typically printed at 2400DPI?

23. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

24. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Go get out a ruler and hold your iPhone exactly 22" away from your face. Now browse the web for a minute.

I just tried it and it was ridiculous.

I'm thinking you misjudged how far 22" is.

I'd like you (and everyone else) to report back with your numbers too. Let's get some real answers here instead of guesses!

My comfort distance was 14" - 15"

25. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

For those with a brain would realize that other devices don't get the full internet either, even those with Flash.

Why? Check HTML5 ACID3 tests. And some IE sites won't work without I.E. Etc.

The NewYorkTime demoed uses HTML5 for video so it works on HTML5 capable devices. Why is that bad?