Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
WTF is it with these tech places who have to go to the lengths of physics to prove Steve Jobs wasn't 100% correct. He was 6" off. :rolleyes:

Maverick1337

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2008
WTF is it with these tech places who have to go to the lengths of physics to prove Steve Jobs wasn't 100% correct. He was 6" off. :rolleyes:

True Error: (True Value - Approximation) / True Value

(18 - 12) / 18
33.333333% error that's HUGE!
*Assuming that 18 inches is the correct distance to achieve 318 ppi

eezing

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
I'm fairly confident he was just feeding us half-truths. He's a great showman and genius marketer. But, he doesn't tell the undistorted truth, but bends it considerably. He's told us that the iPhone gets the "full" internet. He showed iPad screens displaying Flash content. He also keeps spouting this "magical" crap.

That said, for many of us with a brain, he doesn't need to use his Reality Distortion Field on us. We would buy if if he just told us the plain and simple truth. However, for people function with a half-brain (millions and millions), he really needs to spin things majorly or he wouldn't sell any of his iDevices.

+1

gceo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2007
San Diego, CA
WOW! There is way too much speculation and math on this page.

It boils down to 'real' use. Can you discern 2 different pixels at 300+dpi from 12" away.... No, you can't.

See how easy that was.

bstpierre

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
I followed the link and read the article and comments. Some people were questioning the accuracy of 0.6 for 20/20 vision. They found that very optimistic. Also, 20/20 vision is also subjective.

I would put my usage distance in the 12" to 20" range (measured) depending on whether I am squinting at something to get a close look or just general usage.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Yes, "RetinaDisplay" is marketing fluff. "326dpi" just doesn't have the Apple ring to it.

No, people don't hold their phones out at arms length. At least those of us with elbows don't.

Yes, I'm pretty sure Steve Jobs was not 100% accurate about every aspect of the iPhone.

Yes, I'm pretty sure the display is absolutely stunning.

Yes, I'm getting one.

EDIT: Yes, I'm pretty sure "One Dot Enemies" will now be impossible.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
Are people actually complaining about this?

And I hold my iPhone pretty close to my face when I'm using it. Less than 12" for sure. (checked while typing this msg)

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
It's sharp. It's sharper than any other smartphone out there. Who gives a crap. The only thing, if anything, that even remotely bothered me was the fact he had to call it "Retina Display." He could have called it a "Portable High Definition" Display or a PHDD, or just said it was 4x the resolution of the iPhone 3GS. That would've sufficed.

Press22

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2010
Las Vegas
Okay. I for one don't believe Mr. PhD
secondly, so what?!?!
It's still the sharpest display on a phone.

God you whiny people. Always want more, more, more.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
The expert goes on to claim that this resolution is likely sufficient enough so as to have no benefit of being higher for the quoted distance. They also mention print is 300 ppi. The more egregious error is the fact that the A's they compared are 1x and 4x, whereas it would have been technically accurate to compare 1x and 2x.

phobic99

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
Okay. I for one don't believe Mr. PhD
secondly, so what?!?!
It's still the sharpest display on a phone.

God you whiny people. Always want more, more, more.

The above post is not a whine. ;)

As soon as I heard "retina display" I immediately though of "marketing spin". Jobs is a salesman at heart, and a damn good one.

Salacion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
Hey hey now, dont' confuse me for a whiney person. I'm just posting something I stumbled upon. I just think that if something isn't true, Jobs shouldn't announce it.

I concur, it's the sharpest display, and this article in no way sways my opinion. Just posting it for your benefit guys!

iStrat

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2007
New York
I have 20/20 vision and view my iPhone from approximately 16 inches from my face. Any closer than that is uncomfortable. At 16 inches, I think his claim is fairly accurate. If you need to hold the phone any closer than that, you probably don't have 20/20 vision, so you still probably won't be able to resolve individual pixels. He should have said 12 to 18 inches instead of 10 to 12.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Hey hey now, dont' confuse me for a whiney person. I'm just posting something I stumbled upon. I just think that if something isn't true, Jobs shouldn't announce it.

I concur, it's the sharpest display, and this article in no way sways my opinion. Just posting it for your benefit guys!

The best comparison would be 300 ppi vs. 450 ppi and a panel of random people to see if they could tell. The fact that print magazines only use 300 ppi says a lot, as presentation is so much of being able to sell a magazine. That guarantees they'll make it look as good as possible.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Hey hey now, dont' confuse me for a whiney person. I'm just posting something I stumbled upon.

Well, you're the one that took an article that said "Steve pushed it a little too far" and translated that into "[Steve's] Claim is False."

Had your thread been titled "Retina Display Claims a Bit Too Far" then you could claim the don't-shoot-the-messenger defense. But you injected your own opinion into it, so people are free to respond to that opinion. That's what happend in threads.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Sounds like some Ph.D. is trying to gain notoriety by being too nerdy by half. The screen is, by accounts of journalists that played with it yesterday, the best looking phone screen ever seen. So how that is false marketing I don't know, but I do know that Joe Six Pack isn't going to feel ripped off so it's really a moot point.

Salacion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
Well, you're the one that took an article that said "Steve pushed it a little too far" and translated that into "[Steve's] Claim is False."

Had your thread been titled "Retina Display Claims a Bit Too Far" then you could claim the don't-shoot-the-messenger defense. But you injected your own opinion into it, so people are free to respond to that opinion. That's what happend in threads.

Obviously you missed the sarcasm. ;) (Notice the wink?)

Press22

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2010
Las Vegas
I just thought of this as a sort of gullible.

First we all believe that what Jobs said is true.
Then some guy with a PhD he probably earned online says that and we all believe it's true? :rolleyes:

bdavis89

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
yet if this was HTC claiming the same thing, you all would be up in arms about false advertising :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.