Merged iPhone 3G Dock Thread (the old dock, the new dock, why no free dock, etc)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mkaiser1, Jul 7, 2008.

1. mkaiser1 macrumors member

Hi guys n gals,

Does anyone know whether a new dock will be released for the iPhone 3G or whether the standard iPhone dock will be the device to buy?

2. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

There is a new dock for the 3G. I doubt the original dock will fit since the shape is different.

3. PrinceOfEgypt macrumors member

4. madbad01 macrumors member

It is on the Apple website but not available at launch from what I've heard. It won't be included with the iPhone 3G.

I want a dock, why can't Apple just stick with including them with their iPod/iPhone products. Remember when the first few iPod generations came with docks then the docks got cut out. Now the iPhone too.

I don't want the back of my iPhone or iPod getting scratched up sitting on a table.

5. I am Sampson macrumors 6502

I am Sampson

I got a universal dock only a few months ago, I assume the 3G will work with that, right? Though it appears it doesn't come with an adapter, I may have to use the iPhone1 adapter that came with the dock.

6. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

You'd think it would come with a Universal Dock adapter. I've had the Universal Dock since my 4th Gen iPod(mono).

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It does. An Apple Store rep confirmed it.

8. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I'll be making my 3g iphone fit into my original iphone dock by whatever means necessary.

9. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

:eek: Don't you mean you'll be making the original dock fit your new iPhone 3G? :p

10. skierdb526 macrumors regular

good call

11. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

New Bluetooth Docks on Friday?

Does anyone know if there will be a new Bluetooth headset package with updated docks to support the iPhone 3G and Bluetooth headset?

I am going to need a new headset and want the combo dock to go with my new iPhone 3G...

12. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

13. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

I too cant wait for the new version of the Apple Bluetooth Headset. The first gen was way staticky.

14. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I don't even care if it is a new version of the actual headset - just a new combo dock that would fit the new phone...

15. bjquach macrumors 6502

No offense, but I would rather get a jawbone. The new one.

16. izibo macrumors 6502

iPhone 3G: Does it include the universal dock adapter?

See above. It's not listed as being "in the box" at apple.com, but it hasn't been in the past. I'm just wondering what people have heard.

17. kajkaj1 macrumors newbie

no, no dock this time.

18. digmo macrumors member

It is an extra this time and the iphone 1 dock won't fit it ! It was explained to me that with all the over the air stuff you will hardly need to connect it to the computer... I think the person had forgotten the iphone can play music and movies !

David

19. macintosh.apple macrumors 6502

i think he is talking about the dock ADAPTER, that little piece of plastic for the universal dock.

20. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

21. izibo macrumors 6502

Wow, thanks for the broken link! You're the best!

Again, it was discussed a while ago, but I am asking now that people have actually opened up the boxes. There still isn't an answer that I am aware of.

22. geeb macrumors regular

No adapter....another accessory to fork out for.

23. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

2004 and still can't use a search... SHAME yah it was probably broken since it's session based but oh well.

It's been answered and at some time the answer has been challenged. Main point being you could have easily rezed a different thread (had you looked) rather than waste senseless bandwidth.

Sue me I don't care, don't be lazy and search.

24. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

OK, I think everybody needs to read a little.

But here's what Apple officially lists as in the box:

* iPhone 3G
    * Stereo Headset with mic
    * Dock Connector to USB Cable
    * USB Power Adapter
    * Documentation
    * Cleaning/polishing cloth
    * SIM eject tool

So no, there is no dock adapter (nor dock) in the box. You can buy a pack of three adapters for $9, although Apple's "made for" listings just say "iPhone" and not which version. This is quite confusing, as is the fact that I don't see the iPhone 3G dock for sale yet.

On a personal note, someone should tell Apple that it's "Dock-Connector-to-USB cable." The other way leads to people thinking there's a dock connector. HYPHENS ARE YOUR FRIENDS. OK, I'm done with my copy editor rant.