[Merged] Motorola DROID / A855 Android Smartphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TapHappy, Oct 23, 2009.

1. TapHappy macrumors regular

The battle has been joined! Too me this has "Business" device vs. the iPhone consumer appeal. What do you think?

Attached Files:

2. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

To me, it's like Blackberry vs apple again!*****except the droid is motorola......

The Droid has many cool features, including a physical QWERTY keyboard...

I've been wanting a physical keyboard for the iphone, but no.....and it will never happen.....:p (except for those keyboard add-ons)

I think we might see the first ever iphone killer.... in terms of the droid being more productive....

but the iphone will still be popular among people.;)

3. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

shame i get 0 bars VZW at my house, hate to say it but im pretty much sold on a touch screen keyboard, less things to break, looks impressive though

4. ViPa macrumors 6502a

all of these iphone killers look great on paper, but fail miserably when users actually get their hands on it..just another iclone with a clever marketing scheme

/discussion
    /thread

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It looks great but again, all on paper. I'm interested.

6. wowipod macrumors regular

I reckon it will be a very impressive phone. Again it is going to be in its first gen form and so there will be some issues they will have to iron out.

7. TapHappy thread starter macrumors regular

Here is a closer shot from the Boy Genius website. They did a full preview on it. Thumbs up from them. I know Apple has some serious stuff waiting in the cut. 2010 going to be very interesting. Will Apple concede the business market to the Droids?

Attached Files:

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

That's partly because there's this high expectation people place on the "-killers" that it will completely destroy the competition it's supposed to "kill." But it never happens.

Look at the iPhone itself. Did it "kill" anything? People are still using Blackberries and WinMobile and Palm devices, so they're not dead. A little scared, maybe, and that was certainly a good thing.

Likewise, nothing to date that people thought would "kill" the iPhone has actually killed it. This will be no exception.

Motorola's finally catching up, and that's a good thing for everyone involved. As long as this doesn't flop, it keeps them relevant and gives everyone, Apple included, something to think about. But will it put Apple in the poor house? Hell no.

I think RIM has to give it up first, before anyone else can concede anything.

9. ViPa macrumors 6502a

the iphone came out in 2007 and in less than 3 years its taken a majority of the market share against competitors that have been around for decades..i would consider that killing the competition

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Motorola DROID first hands-on!

Engadget.

11. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

As an iPhone user I hope it's good. Really good. As then the next iPhone will have to be that little bit better :D

12. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

The video showed the guy multi-tasking; browsing while listening to music, got a text, responded and when right back to the webpage. Too cool.

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yup, it's good for everyone.

I'm really waiting for the Sony Ericsson Xperia X3. 1GHz Snapdragon, 800x400px, 8MP camera, the list goes on. All running on Android with an extremely slick looking "Rachael" overlay.

Up to now the hardware really has been letting Android down, but all that is about to change. The speedy devices are here.

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

As an iPhone user I believe this may be my next phone.

15. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I agree, competition is good.

Though I still expect the inevitable post telling us that MOTOROLA IS DEAD. :rolleyes:

16. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Android is kicking arse. As e said, the hardware is finally showing up.

Not really a fan of keyboards anymore. Just give me a touchscreen and multi-touch and I'll be leaving the iPhone behind.

Side note: I finally jailbroke my 3GS. Where the f**k have I been? Awesomeness.

17. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

A good phone, with Verizon? That's not possible:eek:

Now, will it last 5 years like my dad's old one?

18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It is very possible but most people who buy this kind of tech (in my opinion) do not hold onto their phones for 5 years. These people chase something better in another year or two at least.

Most of my verizon phones I ever had outlasted their contracts. Most of my AT&T phones I had did not. Though I blame the manufacturing not AT&T.

19. Xavier macrumors 68020

Unless I hear more about the Verizon 4G network actually carrying the iPhone in the relatively near future, this will be my next phone.

20. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Your dad is the expction to the rule.
    One study I read in the past stated that the average lifespan of a cell phone is 18-21 months. Very few last past the 2 year mark. Cell phones are not designed any more for a long life but to really start failing before the 24 month marker to force an upgrade.

As for Engadget. I lost all respect for the sight after they went on a ranting bashing the Storm2 and listed several sights (like crackberry.com) as crap all because RIM choose not to give Engadget a model to test and demo but gave crackberry.com one.

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I hope that eventually makes its way to AT&T. Do want :eek:

22. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Mom's is the same age and she still uses it. Only thing we ever bough for it was a second battery. Now I have Dad's (LG vx7000) old one. Even the original battery on the vx7000 lasts 1.5 days for me. My family seems to be good at maintaining rechargeable batteries. The vx7000 went camping almost every month for 3 years and still works great. (even January)

23. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

not bad... I think I'd go with webOS before android though.

24. Konz macrumors regular

Can I return Droid within 30 days?

TOPIC TITLE EDITED, SEE LAST POST Didn't want to make a new thread :p

If I'd had time to drive to the AT&T store in the past 2 weeks I'd be a 3GS owner already, but now the Droid is making me hesitate.

Does anyone have any dirt on the Droid yet? Like the battery life being crap? Browser loading slower than molasses? Camera worse than a drug store throw-away?

I've waited a few years so I guess another 2 weeks can't hurt if it means hearing about some real-world usage of the Droid, but I'm getting really tired of this LG chocolate and can't wait to sell off my camera, gps, flip video, iPod, etc... all of which are used only casually, so either phone can probably replace them altogether.

:confused: