Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Also, everyone needs to sleep - so servers can mostly be serving US when Asia and Europe sleeps. So less wasted computing power for the planet :)
No that doesn't work. I see just as many Europeans playing games on my Steam list at 6pm than I do at 1, 4, 6am.

This is all based on my knowledge of cloud computing, which will be the future of all applications in the end :)
I doubt it. From what I've seen from public reactions to DRM - they don't like it. And this is just another DRM. You don't own right to use the software, you're just renting the right over a laggy connection. Cloud computing can become a very bad thing, all our software being controlled by a series of companies that can change their software at any point, or remove the software completely leaving you with just a subscription bill? Nope.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/gdc-why-onlive-cant-possibly-work-article < some common sense.

rasmasyean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
One thing I have seen recently is a large amount of startups involving HD video conferencing. Not sure if this is related technology wise, but I do remeber puzzled by how all of the sudden there was this renewed insterest in video conferencing. Especially in HD. I didn't think too much of it after that, but I do remeber it looked really clear. I didn't get a chance to talk to the other people myself since I wasn't really that interested but I believe I asked if it required some dedicated line and the guy said "no".

EDIT: Here's a consumer version I found on Youtube thats like $100 or something.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtbPr5siC-Q

Maybe they use some of those patents that OnLive dude holds. His bio on the net says he has like 80 so maybe amoung them are HD streaming chips.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
That would be cool. I'd actually like to see Dish and Cable service also adopt this.

Anyways, still not for me. I really don't want there to be a time where none of us have comps and we are all dependent on cloud computing.

rasmasyean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
That would be cool. I'd actually like to see Dish and Cable service also adopt this.

Anyways, still not for me. I really don't want there to be a time where none of us have comps and we are all dependent on cloud computing.

I think there will always be enthusiats and applications that you want to or need to use on your personal device. But one of these things pretty much makes it easier for "grandma" to see "grandchild" really clearly and easily. Plug and pray devices were a nice idea, but in all honesty, I wish people were computer smart. But that's just not reality. I don't know how much the "phone unit" will cost, but I'm sure it will be cheap considering the $100 buys you the laptop card. Or maybe the cable company will bundle or "rent" it to you for a small fee...much like a WiFi router.

rasmasyean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
the res they stated is 720p which is just fine for macbooks and okay for MBPs.
considering that more & more macs being sold are laptops, that's not bad. you can still hook your laptop to your tv and use it as a traditional games console.

it's not meant for high-end pc gamers with $2000-$3000 rigs. you still have the option to buy discs or downloaded content

Here's one that can do 1080p. Maybe they use the same technology.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtbPr5siC-Q

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
This is ridiculous for those of us who don't do online gaming. I want a console I can take out to the friggin' beach if I want to and not need an internet connection to play games.

rasmasyean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
This is ridiculous for those of us who don't do online gaming. I want a console I can take out to the friggin' beach if I want to and not need an internet connection to play games.

Sprint WiMAX Begins the Era of True Wireless Broadband
It will come in stages, with 2-4 Mbit/s WiMAX[/URL] being the next plateau, then maybe 150 Mbit/s. Five years from now, we might expect gigabit wireless downlink speeds will be, if not immediately available, very close to it.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/161987/article.html?tk=nl_dnxnws

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Do you get a flying car and silver jumpsuit with a Wimax subscription?

Guessing that Wimax is going to carry one hell of a subscription too and not actually be as good as they stated?
Some people simply don't want to connect online to play. If there's a power outtage for a few hours I'll play DS or PSP, or on the laptop until the battery died. There isn't even 100% mobile phone coverage in the UK (guessing US too?), so how is Wimax going to solve everything? There are games that require twitch responses and unless there is 0 lag they will not work.

rasmasyean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008

Guessing that Wimax is going to carry one hell of a subscription too and not actually be as good as they stated?
Some people simply don't want to connect online to play. If there's a power outtage for a few hours I'll play DS or PSP, or on the laptop until the battery died. There isn't even 100% mobile phone coverage in the UK (guessing US too?), so how is Wimax going to solve everything? There are games that require twitch responses and unless there is 0 lag they will not work.

Good for you. Technically, you don't need to leave you house. Just order food to be delivered.

I'm just letting you guys know that there is WiMax in the works. Not that you are forced to use it or pay for it.

There isn't a perfect solution everything. It's just an "option". You can gripe about your whole life for all anyone cares. There are people who play all sorts of games "connected" and find "single-player" a bit borring too. If you don't want to play these, so what? Why are you complaining that it exists? You can't stand the fact that people are having fun online without you? Didn't mean to make you cry, dude...but that's your problem! :rolleyes:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Good for you. Technically, you don't need to leave you house. Just order food to be delivered.

I'm just letting you guys know that there is WiMax in the works. Not that you are forced to use it or pay for it.

There isn't a perfect solution everything. It's just an "option". You can gripe about your whole life for all anyone cares. There are people who play all sorts of games "connected" and find "single-player" a bit borring too. If you don't want to play these, so what? Why are you complaining that it exists? You can't stand the fact that people are having fun online without you? Didn't mean to make you cry, dude...but that's your problem! :rolleyes:

Your posts are making less sense each time :D crying? wtf!

I play single player, I play multiplayer. I put at least an hour into L4D a night playing online against friends, randoms. The only thing I have beef with are people harking this OnLive tech without giving it second thought only that "it sounds so awesums!". Look into it. Look into current technologies. Look into what they're promising... A vast network where hundreds of thousands of players can log on and play Crysis or UT3 with 1ms lag.

myca

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
I read the eurogamer post today and was planning on sticking the link in here, but I've been beaten twice.

Anyway, I'll believe this will work when I see it in someones home running lag free and not suffering from video compression artefacts.

rasmasyean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Your posts are making less sense each time :D crying? wtf!

I play single player, I play multiplayer. I put at least an hour into L4D a night playing online against friends, randoms. The only thing I have beef with are people harking this OnLive tech without giving it second thought only that "it sounds so awesums!". Look into it. Look into current technologies. Look into what they're promising... A vast network where hundreds of thousands of players can log on and play Crysis or UT3 with 1ms lag.

They said the encoding takes 1ms. I think the lag will be more than that. But for some games, it might be OK. I guess we'll see which ones it "works" for. But to say that this is completely impossible to accomplish is being a bit too skeptical. Who knows what kind of games they will eventually offer or what kind of business model they will have. Lots of games online play with acceptable lag. I guess ultimately, those that aren't acceptable will be weeded out.

mac88

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
Boston, MA.
The "lag free" comment really has me thinking. I would have to play this hands on to really make a judgement. It is a great concept though.

rasmasyean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
I think some of you guys are expecting too much. For many games, under .5 seconds is good enough. It will prolly be faster most of the time, but it doesn't have to be "lag free". :cool:

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008

I don't understand what the big deal is. You're games are not going away. Onlive is not replacing anything for the forseeable future so you can still play games and play them wherever you please. The laptop you're playing on, I assume, is a fairly powerful laptop. Maybe a Macbook pro. Not everybody has one. For those who have just macbooks, this is a great thing.

I have a MacBook pro. I like playing games but I'm not hardcore. I'm quite content to pick up a game a year that i really like and also play the latest and greatest through onlive (if everything works well).

Maybe onlive will work and maybe it won't. But there is no reason to slam any alternative before it can even be tried. I signed up for the beta. I can assure you if it dosen't provide me with a good experience then they won't be getting my money or anybody else's. In the world of pc gaming, where fps rule, onlive had better perform or it will die a quick death.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
I think some of you guys are expecting too much. For many games, under .5 seconds is good enough. It will prolly be faster most of the time, but it doesn't have to be "lag free". :cool:

I think you are missing the whole point, i said that before. It does have to be lag free, and if there is artifacting it will ruin the gaming experience. The chances of a lag free, or even a lag experience that you are expecting, and no artifacting from compression is nearly impossible with current technology. This is 10+ years ahead of its time, yea a great idea in practice but in reality (where we all live) it is not viable right now. It's vaporware, or it will become vaporware fairly fast if they even dare to release this to market.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It definitely seems to be the future of gaming, and a service such as this with unified hardware and an easy distributable path would be attractive to all developers and publishers.

However I know my internet connection will barely handle standard definition, let alone the 720p stream.....

As others have said the reality is this is a few years ahead of itself. Maybe when 4G broadband launches in 2010/2011 with promised 45mb download speeds this will be perfect...

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I don't understand what the big deal is. Your games are not going away. Onlive is not replacing anything for the forseeable future so you can still play games and play them wherever you please. The laptop you're playing on, I assume, is a fairly powerful laptop. Maybe a Macbook pro. Not everybody has one. For those who have just macbooks, this is a great thing.
Nope, just a MacBook. Runs all my games (Source Engine stuff) great. But it's gaming on a laptop which is a bit daft to start with.

Maybe onlive will work and maybe it won't. But there is no reason to slam any alternative before it can even be tried. I signed up for the beta. I can assure you if it dosen't provide me with a good experience then they won't be getting my money or anybody else's. In the world of pc gaming, where fps rule, onlive had better perform or it will die a quick death.

As I said my problem is with people who think this is going to change everything and work flawlessly without actually looking into the service and using common sense. I've never been one to suffer fools so I apologise.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

Course it does! Right-
This thing seems to be aimed at people who want to play big, beefy games on weak systems (because a weak system will already play the smaller games). People who didn't use Bluetooth mice for gaming because of lag, people who buy special equipment that reduces lag, like Razer and Logitech.

The input has to be 100% lag free, but it won't be. We expect output lag in online games and games have been properly coded from the ground up to support lag prediction technology. Sometimes we expect bullets to miss because one of the connections in a game isn't going as fast as yours, we don't want movement(/input) lag and there's an entire market capitalising on this!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.