Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigrell486

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
Home
Great Idea

deputy_doofy said:
Maybe I'm out in right field with this suggestion, but how about a further separation between the black Macbook and the white, other than color?

Macbooks (white) - Yonah and integrated graphics (960?)
Macbook (black) - Merom and the new integrated graphics (965???)

That would certainly justify the black's higher cost and would give it more of a punch to be that PB 12" replacement.

This makes perfect sense as Apple has already dub the Black Macbook the "Top of the Line" yet there isn't really a difference between it and the Midrange so by adding The new processor and graphics chip Apple would essentially create the Top of the Line MacBook

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
iJawn108 said:
I'm excited but... :( I kind of want to wait for the 800 Mhz FSB that will most likely come out next year. if it comes with a new case with the macbook styled keyboard ill snatch it up. :p

That is going to be a long wait, so you better get ready!

bigrell486 said:
This makes perfect sense as Apple has already dub the Black Macbook the "Top of the Line" yet there isn't really a difference between it and the Midrange so by adding The new processor and graphics chip Apple would essentially create the Top of the Line MacBook

The price difference would be too small for Apple to do too much though, after all I'm pretty sure it does costs Apple a lot more to make a black casing.. plus with Core 2 chips being more expensive than Yonah...

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
generik said:
plus with Core 2 chips being more expensive than Yonah...

T2600 (Yonah @ 2.16GHz) currently goes for $423 (trays of 1000)
T2500 (Yonah @ 2.00GHz) currently goes for $294 (trays of 1000)
T2400 (Yonah @ 1.83GHz) currently goes for $241 (trays of 1000)

T7600 (Merom @ 2.33GHz) is reported to go for $637 (trays of 1000)
T7400 (Merom @ 2.16GHz) is reported to go for $423 (trays of 1000)
T7200 (Merom @ 2.00GHz) is reported to go for $294 (trays of 1000)

...in other words it looks like the Yonah is either being replaced whole sale or is going to see further price drops when the Merom comes out. Of course I am still not 100% convinced the reported pricing for Merom is correct.

iJawn108

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2006
generik said:
That is going to be a long wait, so you better get ready!
I am. It's funny to me cause my current processor is only 700Mhz :p and my fsb is 200. :D and by then who knows it might have bluray.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Merom in MacBook - 2GHz Will Remain Top Speed

PlaceofDis said:
up the chips in the MBPs and up the speeds in the MBs?

seems likely to me.
Seems highly unlikely to me because above 2GHz, Merom's are way too expensive to go into MacBooks. But I would love to see 2GHz Meroms go into MacBooks sooner than later.

On the MBP front, we should see them go up to 2.16 and 2.33 GHz Meroms very soon.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
I wonder about the pace

Don't get me wrong, I like to have the machines grow in power ever few months better than ever 12 to 18 months like we used to see before the switch.

However I wonder about the financials, how it will affect the inventories every time there is a new processor. Intel is competing for its life with AMD and we all get affected. But so do the manufactorers that have to time their productions so they don't end up with a lot of inventory with the old chip, If they wait too long to release improved machines then the competion gets all the good publicity and gets to be first. If too early, then have to discount a lot of inventory to move it.

Good news can also be bad news, but...... Bring it on, I like it, but watch the bottom line please.:eek:

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
sweet...

I'd like to see the merom with a new enclosure for the mbp. I like the magnetic latch, and I'd like to see something with a nicer screen and dedicated graphics.

That would look good for vista or macos.

macaddict06

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
about 3 meters from here. *points*
ebuc said:
Has any laptop manufacturer announced a specific ship date for laptops with Merom? What was the turnaround time for the original MacBook Pros from the time Intel announced they were shipping the processors to the time Apple announced they were shipping the laptops?

Yeah, CoreDuo was released at CES06, and then 3 days later (Friday release Mon/Tues Keynote, am I right?) Apple announced that it was in the iMac and the spanking new MBP. Turnaround was slow, about 5 weeks iirc. However, that was the first laptop to have an Intel processor in it, so that was the big part of the rush. Also, if the MacPro comes out, some prosumers will shift away from getting a laptop and just get a kickass Woodcrest-enabled MP. Overall, I should think that if it gets released at WWDC (MBP that is), it should be in our hot little hands by Sept 1. Any takers?

Macaddict06

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
People, they only released the MacBooks two months ago!

They're not gonna upgrade them in a matter of weeks.

It'll be the new chips in the Pro models, and AT BEST a slight speedbump to the Black MacBook (maybe the 2.16 GHz chip)...

heesey1010

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2006
I hope Meroms end up in MBs by the end of this year

And this is a little off-topic, but is it too late to speculate a release date for any other products? Only thing I can speculate is that something might be released in/around September, because the Mac + iPod rebate ends September 16th, and if anyone recalls last year, the Nano was intro'd in September.

I think it's too early for updated MBs, but I wish there'd be some. Either that, or cheaper MBPs with Merom.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
Perhaps if I mention my wishes in every related thread, someone at apple will take note?

iMac Ultra: At least 2.4 Ghz Conroe, 512Mb ATI X1800, and a 23" Screen.

Macbook: I don't want Merom in it. I don't want a faster processor in it. I want a price drop!

I've said it before, I hardly think the iMac is unworthy of a WWDC appearance. In my opinion, it's close enough to a Professional machine. Albeit an inexpensive one in a compact enclosure.

Is there really any chance that the MBP's WON'T get an upgrade to 2.16/2.33 Meroms???

They can leave the faster Mac Minis, Macbooks and iPods for Paris Expo.

Don't care about iPods.

This is what Lord Erasmus wants. If he is not appeased, Steve himself will bear the brunt of my experiments into human nature!
(For all you Legends of Dune fans out there. For all who haven't read the BEST TRILOGY OF ALL TIME, that means dissection!)

islanders

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2006
Charleston, SC
Can someone tell me the advantages of the Merom chip?

More Speed? Less Heat? Improved battery performance?

And I’ll tell you what will happen at MWDC. ;)

xPismo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
California.
Regarding hot laptops:

ferretboy said:
Tell me about it!

Add a pro book that lasts ~5hours and I'd be one happy man. Lets hope Apple can crack the heat / battery / weight triangle of pain this time around.

islanders

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2006
Charleston, SC
Thanks for the links.

I don’t see why a 20% increase in speed is going to rock the boat. Especially if it’s in the MBP. So if it is ready for shipment I don’t see any advantage in waiting for the MBP line to upgrade.

I guess I’ll have to do some research about the battery performance.

Noone knows what Steve Jobs will do, but I think he had been roper-doping long enough with the G3 and G4. What 6 years with the same G4? He needs to come out swinging while Apple still has a strong brand name from the iPod.

I hope to see some changes. The last 5 years have been so slow that it hasn’t been worth keeping up with.

fastlane1588

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2006
florida
so what exactly is rumored to be changed on the mbp, the new chip, a new case and a new graphics card? if so im really glad i decided to wait it out, i was getting kind of worried bout college coming up!

milozauckerman

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2005
Apple can't not update at least the top-end MacBooks. Dell & Co. will be putting Core 2 in comparably priced machines - $1299/1499 - as the price breaks down similarly to Core Duo chips.

Apple doesn't want switchers going "hmmm, I can get a MacBook for <x> or a Dell with a better newer processor for the same."

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
Im 99.99999% sure they won't update the white MacBooks with Core 2 Duo. Why you ask? Well they doing the back to school promo which is already losing them enough cash with the nano rebate. They also still have a wait or 3-5 days for them. A wait since launch? I highly doubt they will update a product that has a waiting list for it. Milk it for all its worth. The BlackBook is another story though.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
ebuc said:
The iBooks got a big case revision when they moved into the Intel MacBook world, the MacBook-Pros-that-look-like-PowerBooks should, too.

Just so long as they don't make the glossy screen standard on the MBP, like they did on the MB. I can't stand that glare ridden, reflective surface finish!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.