Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrr

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
I just can’t imagine that there’s much of a market for these.

WhoDaKat

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
Hmm, I wonder which platform is going to win. The one that took 4 years to develop it’s own OS or the one that’s just going to use forked Android. It’s like other companies aren’t paying attention.

michelb76

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2016
Apple going to stop VR/AR development too. It was always a dead-end technology. The kind of people that believe in it also think cryptocurrency is a valid technology.
That must be why it has been in use for years in industrial setups. You should get some better stuff to smoke.

wanha

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2020
Apple going to stop VR/AR development too. It was always a dead-end technology. The kind of people that believe in it also think cryptocurrency is a valid technology.
The certainty with which you say this... priceless ?

wanha

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2020
This doesn't add up.

So Facebook rebrands itself Meta and then just over 2 months later, they kill the OS that was supposed to underpin the Metaverse?

I get that creating OSes from scratch is damn hard (remember Apple's attempts at a new OS before the NEXT acquisition? Yikes.), but this just seems odd.

8KYUP

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2015
who else ISN'T excited for this?
I just don't feel the giddyness that I used to get when we see tech previews in consumer tech shows. The metaverse just feels so nerdy and stupid to me. I want tech to enhance my life, not replace it. The phone is getting bad enough already. I don't feel happier in social media, I feel less happy.

I don't know. Maybe I'm getting old.
Current VR offers a lot that all users will like. Have you checked out VR yet? Multitask with multiple monitors over an actual or VR environment. Add monitors at will. Adjust monitor size, select curvature, reposition to taste. Browse with your fingers or via a connected bluetooth keyboard and mouse or by voice command and soon by eye motion. Move freely in your environment with on demand passthrough. Use this once and you will see the future of computing. What is a 2, 3, 5 monitor system going to cost? Can you use it on a plane? Can you use it on a forklift, a jobsite, on the can? Laying in bed? The work desk is a thing of the past. The real question is what place will our other devices have?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-02 at 6.37.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-02 at 6.37.37 AM.png
    923.2 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

Taipan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
Current VR offers a lot that all users will like. Have you checked out VR yet? Multitask with multiple monitors over an actual or VR environment. Add monitors at will. Adjust monitor size, select curvature, reposition to taste. Browse with your fingers or via a connected bluetooth keyboard and mouse or by voice command and soon by eye motion. Move freely in your environment with on demand passthrough. Use this once and you will see the future of computing. What is a 2, 3, 5 monitor system going to cost? Can you use it on a plane? Can you use it on a forklift, a jobsite, on the can? Laying in bed? The work desk is a thing of the past. The real question is what place will our other devices have?
That seems very strange to me. If we have a complete field of vision to fill with info, why would we restrict it by placing it on virtual rectangles? If we use VR for placing virtual monitors in it, we have done something wrong, in my opinion.
I would also argue that using a keyboard blindly is not a great option.

8KYUP

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2015
That seems very strange to me. If we have a complete field of vision to fill with info, why would we restrict it by placing it on virtual rectangles? If we use VR for placing virtual monitors in it, we have done something wrong, in my opinion.
I would also argue that using a keyboard blindly is not a great option.
You are not using the keyboard blindly. You can see it in your actual environment by using passthrough. Again, it sounds that you have never used VR. In that scenario (as in the picture I posted) your monitors are superimposed on your actual environment (not over a virtual environment). You see your actual hands and your actual keyboard using the front facing cameras on the Quest 2 headset. Using the passthrough API, apps can also show selective portions of your actual environment over (through) a virtual environment. It is extremely flexible.

For 2D apps (browsers, spreadsheets, Lightroom, you name it) those lend themselves rectangular containment. You still need to organize content. Check out the supernatural app on oculus quest 2 below (amazing workout app - amazing) It uses an exemplary huge view of rectangular panels. They appear 15 feet tall and crystal clear in the app. Also when you are for instance browsing the web in a conventional browser and you click a youtube video or similar it will play in a theater sized window. If it is VR content it will play as 360 surround VR. When you minimize your are back to your huge monitor cluster in 2D. It is really so far superior to the status quo that once you try it you will understand.

Attachments

• Explore.png
    Explore.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 42
Last edited:

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I think Meta, Apple and others won't push AR/VR very far. Many people get physically ill (nausea, headaches) wearing the googles because the visual stimulation doesn't match the vestibular stimulation.

Anyway, getting to the far more important issue of Zuck's weird looks, does anybody else think Elizabeth Holmes looks like a female clone of Zuckerberg?

j5y2lg0dt4o21.jpg

Source: link

Reactions: macsplusmacs

frifra

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
"...citing people familiar with the matter. "

Did you mean: ...citing people familiar with the META? :p

AtomicC

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2022
I think Meta, Apple and others won't push AR/VR very far. Many people get physically ill (nausea, headaches) wearing the googles because the visual stimulation doesn't match the vestibular stimulation.

Anyway, getting to the far more important issue of Zuck's weird looks, does anybody else think Elizabeth Holmes looks like a female clone of Zuckerberg?

j5y2lg0dt4o21.jpg

Source: link

I hope he will end his career also in the front of grand jury.

Reactions: JMacHack

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
No doubt it’s valuable to those who need it, that’s also the problem, relatively few need it, especially on the can. Screams being single?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.