Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AltecX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Philly
Elon Musk is corrupt? Explain your conclusion.
Yeah how could a guy that sued a companies founders to get himself listed as a founder when he wasn't, then built up that company that's had years of losses by taking millions in tax breaks and grants while jacking up stock prices, then complains about other companies that get government funding are untrust worthy due to their govt connections, repeatedly does the opposite of what he says, threatens people that openly state opposite opinions of his own and give his products bad reviews, and refuses to pay the bills to vendors/landlords of a company he just bought ever be corrupt....

Ch3ckM4te

Suspended
Jun 15, 2023
Things I will NOT be doing…

1688604735637.gif

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
I thought Mastodon was the great new social network! /s
The great new one will be the one that’s able to soak up all those dollars that were earmarked for Twitter but has gone unspent. Open source “something” will always be available, but the one that pulls in those dollars will be set for the long haul.

rushmere

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2006
New Zealand
I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, but I'm a bit disappointed that Threads is currently showing mostly posts from people you don't know on your timeline rather than people/organisations you follow. I used to use Twitter purely as a breaking news feed from reputable news sources only (not as a social media platform), and I was hoping Threads might be an alternative for that use case. Maybe that will change as it develops, but I'm not holding my breath.

On the plus side, every other post isn't some crazy mutterings from their CEO, so I guess that's one advantage.

AltecX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Philly
As opposed to the unchecked proliferation of child castration a mutilation propaganda that was going on before he took over?
He literally fired most the staff that works to prevent kiddy stuff and the "actions" he took were programs already in the works and scheduled to be deployed. He look 0 action at all other than "didnt stop already planned actions"

But the fact you actually think it was "unchecked" proves how much you rely on right wing media and not actual facts. I don't know ANY person that ever saw kiddy stuff on twitter and I work in social media marketing. You had to explicitly look for it or be in the circle/connection of a lot of other kiddy pervs for the algorithm to think you wanted to see it. It didnt "just magically show up" on your feed. Anyone who swears it "just somehow showed up" I literally Do. Not. Believe.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
Elon Musk is corrupt? Explain your conclusion.
Ok. I’ll start with his multi-year ******** lie about FSD being just around the corner.

PSA: Ignore what the snake oil salesman says. Instead, listen to what Tesla engineers tell state regulators. Newsflash, one group of people are being honest. The other person is an *******.

pugxiwawa

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2009
built up that company that's had years of losses by taking millions in tax breaks and grants while jacking up stock prices, then complains about other companies that get government funding are untrust worthy due to their govt connections
that makes no sense. Anyone, including you, could've done what he did at Tesla 20 years ago if you think all it took was 'taking tax breaks, grants, jacking up stock price'. But you didn't, and he did. How does that make him corrupt? You made it sound like it's something as easy as snap a finger then an EV, an unproven technology in 2000s would just appear. Government issued grants and tax breaks all the time to encourage entrepreneurs to take on risks in new industry. GM received government bailout and never paid back. Why aren't you complaining about them?

Diamond Dog

Cancelled
Apr 6, 2018
Hard pass from me.

- Privacy nightmare
- Have to make an Instagram account
- No desktop or iPad experience
- Discoverability seems low (I mainly “use” Twitter to follow a few organizations and companies that use it as their main communication channel, whereas Threads seems focused on following real life people you know).
- For how I use Twitter, I don’t see how Threads offers any better of an experience (there has to be a compelling reason for people to want to migrate, aside from “new and shiny”).

Aside from my own personal gripes, I don’t see this succeeding unless Twitter actually dies. They’re too similar of a product to both do well, practically speaking. Big companies and advertisers will want one clear winner, and unless they move over, the average user won’t either. Social networks are very sticky things at that size. I’ll predict that one of these will be either entirely shut down or virtually dead within a year.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.