Michael Jackson Dominates Top Ten Album List in U.S. iTunes Store

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 26, 2009.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Legendary music artist Michael Jackson, who passed away yesterday at the age of 50, is currently dominating the U.S. iTunes Store's list of top albums. Jackson's albums currently hold the top seven spots, led by the greatest hits compilation The Essential Michael Jackson [iTunes Store, $16.99] and Thriller [iTunes Store, $9.99], the biggest selling album of all-time with worldwide sales figures estimated at over 100 million.

[​IMG]

Over a dozen other albums from Michael Jackson and various projects he participated in are also included on the broader Top 100 Albums list.

Article Link: Michael Jackson Dominates Top Ten Album List in U.S. iTunes Store

2. LukeHarrison macrumors regular

LukeHarrison

3. Sverkel macrumors regular

Sverkel

Not only in the U.S.

It's not only in the U.S. he is on the top Ten Album list...

In Denmark he have 8 of 10 albums :S

R.I.P

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

This would be expected when someone famous passes away, so it really is no surprise.

5. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I think he became the most famous person in the world today. Apple has been quick to respond by updating iTunes to feature him prominently.

6. Oman macrumors regular

This not simply about him dying, the music is actually good as well, so the people buying it will actually listen to it.

7. Macsterling macrumors regular

Macsterling

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

It's a shame it took him to die for people around the world to show him respect again. I've always been a fan of Jackson. In fact my first concert was the Thriller tour at Texas Stadium in the early 80's. Too bad he is not alive today to see that people really did enjoy his music instead of making fun of the way he looks or child scandals etc. Funny how life is and people wait until it's too late because life is too short. Elvis was the king of rock and Jackson the king of pop.

8. danl83 macrumors newbie

danl83

Agreed, RIP MJ.

9. SleepyHead157 macrumors regular

This is not really surprising, consdering the fact that when you first enter the US Itunes store, the first thing you see is Michael Jackson's album. R.I.P

10. Oman macrumors regular

His video's are 17 of the top 20 in the iTunes store. 1 of the 17 is We are the world.

11. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i'm more surprised that people are buying the transformers soundtrack :eek:

12. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

I wonder if he will become the next Elvis.

The King of Pop vs. The King of Rock and Roll

13. phillyeagles615 macrumors newbie

phillyeagles615

I'd say the fact that he sold over 750 million records, only second to the beatles, says that he surpassed elvis

14. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

15. McShizzel macrumors regular

This usually happens when an artist dies: a spike in sales.

I still think the CD cover for History: Past, Present and Future, Book 1 is one of the coolest looking covers ever I think I was 9 when it came out.

16. qacjared macrumors regular

We should make this a front page story. It shows the effect of Apple's iTunes service on how we morn those that are no longer with us. If only Micheal were hear to see us.

17. JackieTreehorn macrumors 6502

JackieTreehorn

Why? He was named King of Pop in the early 1980s and did nothing substantially (musically speaking) after that.

I'd give him respect if he lived up to the title by gifting us with excellent music after Thriller, rather than becoming a has-been who had nothing left to give the world than walking backwards and scratching his balls whilst not touring for the last 12 years. Or even releasing some decent new songs.

Musically, he should have stopped after Off the Wall or Thriller. Just my two cents.

18. emulator macrumors 6502a

emulator

his lip sync knowledge was pretty good though. :)

19. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

The only Michael Jackson I liked died many years before this one.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Um, he coined the term himself.

21. dfa4 macrumors member

dfa4

You're not recognizing the influence he has had on today's artist though; everyone from Sheryl Crow to Usher to Jay Z has already commented on his legacy in their current works. So I think that like the Beatles, it is more than their individual accomplishments in the industry but how they shaped the industry long after they hold the top spots on the charts. That said, he has had number one and top ten hits from every major album release, if I am correct.

22. Macsterling macrumors regular

Macsterling

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Are you kidding me? He has been a big influance in the music industry till the day he passed away. Most people like yourself wouldn't understand that because all people were concerned with was how he looked and all the bs scandals and I blame the media for that. And since he was about to start 50 show tour in London which all shows sold out instantly still says a lot. Again another person without a clue to what he did for pop music and the industry altogther.

23. akira2501 macrumors regular

king of pop

I thought pepsi was the king of pop

24. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agreed, it is not, in fact, it is an entirely predictable response; I found myself playing some of his earlier music when I heard the news. Some great music, especially the earlier stuff, but a tortured human being.

Cheers

25. JackieTreehorn macrumors 6502

JackieTreehorn

So, mr expert, tell me exactly which records AFTER Thriller had that influence? I can assure you, you cannot.

And let me tell you about a show tour in London. There was an artist from MJ's generation whose 21 nights sold out instantly as well some 2 years as well.

And those concerts were given within 2.5 months. MJ booked nearly a year for twice as many records. And this other artist gave at least 10 after parties, where he jammed with the likes of Elton John and Amy Winehouse. Mind you, after he played for over 2 hours straight. And that other artist gave more concerts since 2000 than MJ would have given since 1997, including those 50 concerts.

There is a immensely more talented musical genius out there. And he's still alive. Enjoy a real musical talent instead of a marketed freakshow.