Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Legendary music artist Michael Jackson, who passed away yesterday at the age of 50, is currently dominating the U.S. iTunes Store's list of top albums. Jackson's albums currently hold the top seven spots, led by the greatest hits compilation The Essential Michael Jackson [iTunes Store, $16.99] and Thriller [iTunes Store, $9.99], the biggest selling album of all-time with worldwide sales figures estimated at over 100 million.

113051-michael_jackson_itunes.png

Over a dozen other albums from Michael Jackson and various projects he participated in are also included on the broader Top 100 Albums list.

Article Link: Michael Jackson Dominates Top Ten Album List in U.S. iTunes Store

Sverkel

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2007
Denmark
Not only in the U.S.

It's not only in the U.S. he is on the top Ten Album list...

In Denmark he have 8 of 10 albums :S

R.I.P

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
I think he became the most famous person in the world today. Apple has been quick to respond by updating iTunes to feature him prominently.

Oman

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
This not simply about him dying, the music is actually good as well, so the people buying it will actually listen to it.

Macsterling

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2007
Dallas
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

It's a shame it took him to die for people around the world to show him respect again. I've always been a fan of Jackson. In fact my first concert was the Thriller tour at Texas Stadium in the early 80's. Too bad he is not alive today to see that people really did enjoy his music instead of making fun of the way he looks or child scandals etc. Funny how life is and people wait until it's too late because life is too short. Elvis was the king of rock and Jackson the king of pop.

danl83

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2009
Brighton,MA
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

It's a shame it took him to die for people around the world to show him respect again. I've always been a fan of Jackson. In fact my first concert was the Thriller tour at Texas Stadium in the early 80's. Too bad he is not alive today to see that people really did enjoy his music instead of making fun of the way he looks or child scandals etc. Funny how life is and people wait until it's too late because life is too short. Elvis was the king of rock and Jackson the king of pop.

Agreed, RIP MJ.

SleepyHead157

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2008
This is not really surprising, consdering the fact that when you first enter the US Itunes store, the first thing you see is Michael Jackson's album. R.I.P

Oman

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
His video's are 17 of the top 20 in the iTunes store. 1 of the 17 is We are the world.

McShizzel

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
Canada
This usually happens when an artist dies: a spike in sales.

I still think the CD cover for History: Past, Present and Future, Book 1 is one of the coolest looking covers ever I think I was 9 when it came out.

qacjared

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
We should make this a front page story. It shows the effect of Apple's iTunes service on how we morn those that are no longer with us. If only Micheal were hear to see us.

JackieTreehorn

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2005
Amsterdam

Why? He was named King of Pop in the early 1980s and did nothing substantially (musically speaking) after that.

I'd give him respect if he lived up to the title by gifting us with excellent music after Thriller, rather than becoming a has-been who had nothing left to give the world than walking backwards and scratching his balls whilst not touring for the last 12 years. Or even releasing some decent new songs.

Musically, he should have stopped after Off the Wall or Thriller. Just my two cents.

dfa4

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2001
NYC, NY
Why? He was named King of Pop in the early 1980s and did nothing substantially (musically speaking) after that.

I'd give him respect if he lived up to the title by gifting us with excellent music after Thriller, rather than becoming a has-been who had nothing left to give the world than walking backwards and scratching his balls whilst not touring for the last 12 years. Or even releasing some decent new songs.

Musically, he should have stopped after Off the Wall or Thriller. Just my two cents.

You're not recognizing the influence he has had on today's artist though; everyone from Sheryl Crow to Usher to Jay Z has already commented on his legacy in their current works. So I think that like the Beatles, it is more than their individual accomplishments in the industry but how they shaped the industry long after they hold the top spots on the charts. That said, he has had number one and top ten hits from every major album release, if I am correct.

Macsterling

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2007
Dallas

JackieTreehorn said:

Are you kidding me? He has been a big influance in the music industry till the day he passed away. Most people like yourself wouldn't understand that because all people were concerned with was how he looked and all the bs scandals and I blame the media for that. And since he was about to start 50 show tour in London which all shows sold out instantly still says a lot. Again another person without a clue to what he did for pop music and the industry altogther.

JackieTreehorn

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2005
Amsterdam

Are you kidding me? He has been a big influance in the music industry till the day he passed away. Most people like yourself wouldn't understand that because all people were concerned with was how he looked and all the bs scandals and I blame the media for that. And since he was about to start 50 show tour in London which all shows sold out instantly still says a lot. Again another person without a clue to what he did for pop music and the industry altogther.

So, mr expert, tell me exactly which records AFTER Thriller had that influence? I can assure you, you cannot.

And let me tell you about a show tour in London. There was an artist from MJ's generation whose 21 nights sold out instantly as well some 2 years as well.

And those concerts were given within 2.5 months. MJ booked nearly a year for twice as many records. And this other artist gave at least 10 after parties, where he jammed with the likes of Elton John and Amy Winehouse. Mind you, after he played for over 2 hours straight. And that other artist gave more concerts since 2000 than MJ would have given since 1997, including those 50 concerts.

There is a immensely more talented musical genius out there. And he's still alive. Enjoy a real musical talent instead of a marketed freakshow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.