Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

summerann

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2019
Just got the series 5 watch and Minnie won’t speak, I’ve did the unpairing and re-pairing and nothing. It’s pretty darn aggravating and left on WiFi on charger and nothing. Has anyone tried different for it to work?

Bigdog9586

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2015
Give it time, he will talk. Initial Apple Watch setup downloads the voices after everything else. I get this every time I upgrade Apple Watches.
I’ve noticed on watch 6 it takes overnight before everything works. My pedometer Tom from about 7 pm till the next morning to appear on watch. I feel 6 is a huge downgrade as far as load speed is concerned.
[automerge]1569173007[/automerge]
Do you have the tap to speak icon activated?

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Yes I had that activated. I did a reset and then restored from backup. That didn't work so I did a reset and set up as a new watch and that worked! So the problem is a corrupted profile and you need to erase and reinstall as a new watch. Happy to hear Mickey again.

summerann

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2019
From backup. I had to re pair twice though. First time didn't work, second time did.
I did both still no Mickey voice. Left on charger for 15mins phone on WiFi watch on Bluetooth didn’t work put watch on WiFi on charger waited an hour still nothing and tap to speak turned on but notice tap to speak don’t show up in sounds and haptics at all, I’ve restarted them both and hard reset done it all. I’m wondering if have to leave it on charger all night on charger connected to my phone maybe that will work.

jazzimat

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2009
I did both still no Mickey voice. Left on charger for 15mins phone on WiFi watch on Bluetooth didn’t work put watch on WiFi on charger waited an hour still nothing and tap to speak turned on but notice tap to speak don’t show up in sounds and haptics at all, I’ve restarted them both and hard reset done it all. I’m wondering if have to leave it on charger all night on charger connected to my phone maybe that will work.
Yeah, its weird. Keep un pairing. I go through this every upgrade. They moved tap to speak in clock settings and the Mickey and Minnie settings now under My Watch.

donster28

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
I’ve noticed on watch 6 it takes overnight before everything works. My pedometer Tom from about 7 pm till the next morning to appear on watch. I feel 6 is a huge downgrade as far as load speed is concerned.
[automerge]1569173007[/automerge]
Do you have the tap to speak icon activated?
Yes, I do.

Paul925

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2019
I did multiple repairing without success. Tonight, however, I started repairing and then cancelled it. I got a warning that doing so would cause the watch to revert to its factory settings. I went ahead and cancelled. It took a few moments before it came back up for re-pairing. When it did, I did a new install instead of from backup and Mickey was talking as soon as that install finished!

jazzimat

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2009
I did multiple repairing without success. Tonight, however, I started repairing and then cancelled it. I got a warning that doing so would cause the watch to revert to its factory settings. I went ahead and cancelled. It took a few moments before it came back up for re-pairing. When it did, I did a new install instead of from backup and Mickey was talking as soon as that install finished!
It's so weird! It just works when it feels like it.

Bigdog9586

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2015
Mine don’t boot as fast either. The big thing I noticed was when I added a app to the watch. It took forever. Example was pedometer ++hit install early in the evening and went to bed 3 hours later and it was still spinning. Was ok in the morning. Not so sure ios13 is any better either. Did a couple backups on my Mac and it took hours.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
Well, hopefully Apple will fix some of this in upcoming software updates. This seems to happen every year. Takes a few updates for things to settle down.

summerann

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2019
Yeah, its weird. Keep un pairing. I go through this every upgrade. They moved tap to speak in clock settings and the Mickey and Minnie settings now under My Watch.
Mickey n Minnie work now, I left watch on charger all night connected to my phone Bluetooth and phone connected to WiFi, this morning they talked. It took all night to download the voices. Thank y’all for all the steps to take. Now my daughter hears Minnie, she loves to push my watch to here the time and Minnie speak.

jazzimat

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2009
Mickey n Minnie work now, I left watch on charger all night connected to my phone Bluetooth and phone connected to WiFi, this morning they talked. It took all night to download the voices. Thank y’all for all the steps to take. Now my daughter hears Minnie, she loves to push my watch to here the time and Minnie speak.
That's great!

dlindman831

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2019
So I also thnik unpairing and repairing seems a little extreme for this. I went into watch app clock setting and turned off Speak Time. Then I hit Mickey and he spoke! I then turned on speak time but clicked the option for always speak. It still worked even after switching away from mickey and then back. If I chose control with silent mode, Mickey went mute again. I hope that works for some of you others.....

CaptainAndrew

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2016
Mickey and Minnie's voice came back for me today after having to problem since updating to watchOS 6 on Friday the 20th. Never unpaired/repaired, though I did reboot once or twice in the intervening period.

quietkaos

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2019
Petaluma, California
It’s been 4 days and Mickey and Minnie are still mute. I’ve tried the unpair and re-pair; toggle all the everything; and yelling at my watch. Nothing has worked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.