Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

microsim yay or nay?

• yay

Votes: 38 26.2%
  • nay

Votes: 51 35.2%
  • i dont give a pretty *

Votes: 56 38.6%

• Total voters

goobot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
i say yay cause now i can swap my sim with the 3g ipad. also it allows the phone to have more things packed inside.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I was against this, but my (non-Apple-approved) operator has since confirmed that micro SIMs will be available so it doesn't really worry me now :p

Having said that, the standard size exists for a reason! The space saving is negligible.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
The only way I can imagine this possibly affecting me is if I travel abroad and wish to buy a prepaid SIM. In that case, I suppose I would have to take a couple of minutes to cut down that SIM with a pair of scissors.

fullmanfullninj

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2009
Hmm, I guess I'd say nay, but only cause I'm on TMo and this might prove to be a problem.

Who knows though!
So does that mean European carriers will have to carry microsim? Like I guess in America, ATT is the main carrier and I guess they're willing to switch to microsim.

Does Apple have something going on with European carriers where (I'm not sure to be honest) they're probably also tied to one or two carriers?

But yeah. I dunno. Probably good for size (maybe...I'm not sure if it'd make that big of a diff), but def smart for stopping unlocking..

Anastacio

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
Denmark
I voted "Yay".
I love new stuff and like when evolutions of established things happens.
And the Micro-Sim not only gives us smaller cards, it gives us more storing capabilities.
I'll just be worried if my carrier here in Denmark (Nordic / Europe) will have it in stock anytime soon.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I see no reason to care or be concerned. If they go that route, fine, if not, fine. As long as my phone works

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
In the US customers are not used to swapping sim cards. Before you had 3G/GSM, the cell line was actually the phone itself so swapping lines was simply not an option.

In contrast, in Europe we've had GSM for almost twenty years. We're pretty accustomed to having several SIM cards or swapping sims when travelling around. It's a pretty standard thing.

For my iPhone 3g, I have my operator's Sim card (Movistar Spain), the one provided when I bought the phone, but I also have an italian sim card (Tim IT) that I use when travelling around the European Union. The reasons are mainly financial.. while using my spanish sim card within the EU would cost me 1 euro a megabyte, with TIM I pay 1 eur a day for 30 megabytes.. pretty reasonable.

How would you do that with microsims?
Risking damaging sim cards when cutting them down.. also.. what about factory unlocked iPhones? Will every operator in the world start cutting sim cards to micro sim sizes just for the sake of one single phone that uses them?

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
The micro-SIM standard was created by the European Telecommunications Standards Institute, so my guess is that it's an evolving implementation that will likely become more prevalent in Europe before we see it all over the US (true of most cellular standards, I guess).

But if both the iPad and the new iPhone are using micro-SIMs, I'll bet we see a lot more worldwide availability before long.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
The micro-SIM standard was created by the European Telecommunications Standards Institute, so my guess is that it's an evolving implementation that will likely become more prevalent in Europe before we see it all over the US (true of most cellular standards, I guess).

But if both the iPad and the new iPhone are using micro-SIMs, I'll bet we see a lot more worldwide availability before long.

it was created over 13 years ago and so far no one but Apple is using them..

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
The questions is, will you be able to use the data plan on both the iPad and the iPhone using the iPad's microSim with the adapter? or it could be the other way around (iPhone's current large sim cut down to the smaller microSim).
In other words, will AT&T's network notice the different units and/or will they be able to do something about it?
I guess we really won't know until the 3G comes out and someone tests it.

naths

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
Bristol.UK
so how do i use my existing 3gs sim on vodafone with the new phone?,if i buy a sim free phone/or PAYG 4g...without contract..how do i get my existing sim to fit in the new phone without changing my number with all the hassle that involves....as my current contract isnt due for renewal untill Jan next year...any help????

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
it was created over 13 years ago and so far no one but Apple is using them..

Yes. I'll bet that stimulates a lot more worldwide availability since the products that the micro-SIM is in are/will be two of the most ubiquitous and sought after SIM-bearing mobile devices in the world.

I'd guess micro-SIM was designed back in the days when it was assumed that the holy grail for cell phones was going to be smaller and smaller. With the ascendancy smart phones, they had to have a usable screen and a keyboard, so they got bigger again and the smaller form factor of the micro-SIM became less important. Who knows why Apple decided to go that route now, but no doubt it will have an impact on micro-SIM availability as well as adapters and probably cutting dies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.