Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
A company threatened will make bashful remarks. Its about time Microsoft focus purely on the office software and xbox, they obviously lost their path in terms of OS and computer hardware.

archimonster

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2013
So wait. He talks about it being cheaper and having a keyboard. But the keyboard isn't included in the price. And if you want to get a keyboard and say be able to use it wirelessly you are out 140 bucks.

Also he talks about on-board storage. We all know how much space you actually get. In the pro model its less than half of the 64 gigs free.

No thanks Microsoft.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Haha, Reality Distortion Field? Apple doesn't even have a leader right now half as charismatic as Steve Jobs. This is as if Apple would have joked about Blue Screens of Death yesterday. So tired...

I kind of expected this comment however, with how important Office 365 is to Microsoft and Apple directly comparing that and its subscription free to iWork in iCloud for free and for everyone. This time, with Google having their own similar free offering, Microsoft is the black sheep. And that's problematic, when this is about their key product besides Windows itself. They just can't help themselves but get on the defensive. Going on about Reality Distortion Fields like an old bitter grandpa. Oh boy.

itguy06

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2006
Honestly... simply coming from an enterprise standpoint using exchange, I would rather have a tablet that has full Outlook/Calendar and Office with full SharePoint support... than an iPad with iOS Mail and Cal.

Why? Exchange is a POS on a server and client system. While it has tons of installed users, most are SMB's and in enterprise-type operations it's about 50%-50% Notes and Exchange with some "Other" thrown in for good measure.

And don't get me started on Sharepoint. The product most hate to use and even MS admits implementation is ~7x the acquisition cost. It's cumbersome, hard to use, and another utter garbage app from Microsoft.

Aye

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2013
But, but, but, why are your retail stores so much look like Apple's? :eek:

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Stop crying and being so jealous. Your time is up, MS.

Fern&o

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2009
Really? Really?

Really? Better than ANYONE else on the PLANET? Really? lolzville

MacSignal

macrumors regular
May 8, 2010
This is good. I hope MS can back up the talk with competitive products. Although this is just talk, at least MS is showing more interest in making an effort to be competitive. Competition is good for consumers.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
I got to say he's right on some remarks. Surface certainly is better for productivity. Apple definitely should address the more professional market with a tablet molds the iPad and macbook. Sort of like what Microsoft did.

Er... what? in what way?! RT is horrible to use and has no software of note. Pro is fine, but is a battery hungry behemoth. Don't forget the preinstalled software on the surface takes many many many GB's of space.

Word in RT is not very good at all. Pages is a much nicer experience. Surface has 1 thing going for it. a relatively nice keyboard. That is all.

This is all like a few weeks when the Google guy said that Android was way more secure than iOS.... Oh how we ( and the security expo ) laughed and laughed.

vsighi

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
San Diego, CA
I don't know who design the Surface 2 but that device will attract everyone if was $ 99...I'm not a fanboy, I do like what is best including HTC One, Nokia Lumia the smart phone and the new Nokia Lumia tablet...but this "Microsoft" Surface 2 is just an unattractive fat chick in high heels :D

Last edited:

jdblas69

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
I've seen one person use a surface in the past year or so, and that was last week. Can't count the number of iPads that I've seen...

Yup I finally saw someone at Starbucks a couple weeks ago with a surface first and only one I have ever seen in the wild. She was trying to use it with the click keyboard cover and it did not look like it was too much fun typing on that thing!

thmsup

macrumors member
May 10, 2013
I am pretty sure, he missed the [irony] and [/irony] tags both in the end and at the beginning of his blog post.

That's the only way this article would make any sense.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Here's my response to Apple.

If the Surface is the tool on how productivity is done, then why hasn't it sold as well as the iPad?

...nuff said.

Also, I use my iPad a lot. I start a Number document on my Mac, sync it over iCloud (also for free) to my iPad. I can know view my projects, add/edit things, etc on my iPad. When the project is done, I can share it to my boss via email, iMessage, or AirDrop.

So yeah Microsoft, my iPad is not for productivity. :rolleyes:

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I'm just tired of the Surface v iPad commercials. Every time it comes on TV I hear the Siri voice, "here we go again" and think to myself...sigh here we go again, mute.

Not that I hate Microsoft, just most of their commercials as well as plenty of other commercials are straight out annoying to where I "tune out" on whatever is trying to be pushed on me.

Back on topic, the pokes and prods they are taking at Apple .... have at it it just doesn't seem like calling people dumb for using an iPad is going to win them over and make them feel smarter by using your product. Keep the marketing that doesn't flat out bash one single company, why not compare how much better you are than all of the competition.

2 years ago when I went to buy a new truck I was at one dealership and said well I need a day or two to decide on this truck or the other brand so the salesman proceeded to call me an idiot for even thinking of buying from the competition. I smiled, shook his hand, thanked him for his time and spent $60k at another dealership.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
Kind of embarrassing

Hard times in Redmond, obviously. How many people showed up at their midnight opening for the Surface 2?

singhjeet29

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
Frank Shaw said:
I’m still over in Abu Dhabi, where the only thing hotter than the weather are the new Windows devices unveiled by Nokia this week.

Right, that's what every tech website is talking about. Reality Distortion Field much?

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Whats a surface? Oh yea, its those devices we ordered at work as a pilot that got rejected because every person in the pilot wanted iPads instead. The top reason, and I quote: "Ease of use" followed by "More/Better applications".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.