Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft today announced several new additions to its Surface lineup, introducing an updated high-end Surface Laptop and a revised version of its Surface Duo foldable smartphone.

The Surface Laptop Studio is Microsoft's "most powerful Surface" to date, and it replaces the Surface Book line of laptops. Rather than a removable display like prior models, Microsoft has adopted a design that looks rather similar to Apple's Magic Keyboard. The 14.4-inch display lifts up and can be pulled forward into a tablet mode.

microsoft-surface-studio.jpg

There are actually a total of three modes: laptop, stage, and studio. Laptop looks like a standard laptop computer, while stage is a middle tier mode that allows the display to be pulled forward at an angle for gaming and watching movies, and studio, which is a full tablet mode with the display folded all the way down.

Inside, there's an 11th-generation Intel Core i5 or Core i7 processor and either Intel Iris Xe graphics or an Nvidia RTX 3050 Ti graphics card. It supports 16 to 32GB RAM and up to 2TB of storage, plus 120Hz refresh rates, and it works with the new Surface Slim Pen 2. Pricing starts at $1,600.

Microsoft's other big announcement was the Surface Duo 2, an updated version of the Surface Duo foldable smartphone. The new model, which is slightly larger at 8.3 inches unfolded, adds 5G connectivity to bring it in line with competing smartphones, and it now includes a rear camera system with wide, ultra wide, and telephoto lenses.

microsoft-surface-duo-2.jpg

The Surface Duo 2 is equipped with Qualcomm's fastest Snapdragon 888 chip, and it continues to feature the same design as the prior model with a prominent hinge that's not hidden under the display. Pricing on the Surface Duo 2 starts at $1,499.

microsoft-surface-duo-2-open.jpg

Microsoft also refreshed the Surface Pro lineup with the Surface Pro 8, which gains a 2x faster chip, Surface Slim Pen 2 support, a larger 13-inch display, 120Hz refresh rates, Thunderbolt 4, and improved camera technology. Pricing starts at $1,100. There were also minor updates to the Surface Go 3 and the Surface Pro X, Microsoft's more affordable options.

More on Microsoft's announcements can be found on the Microsoft website, and many of the devices can be ordered starting today.

Article Link: Microsoft Debuts Magic Keyboard-Like Surface Laptop Studio and Surface Duo 2 Foldable Smartphone

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
If you get a Surface Studio laptop, just don't even remotely spill anything onto the work surface or allow a drink to condensate in its glass next to it - why? Because it'll go right into the vents at the bottom. I don't know this was a good design decision?
View attachment 1840417
how is that any different then the vents on a macbook along the bottom

macsplusmacs

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2014
At this point, a new ipad mini is what the duo hoped to be. Only you don't have to fold it, its faster, it does not have the eye sore that is the hinge, has more precise pencil, and has a brilliant eco system of apps and OS that will never be matched by microsoft.

Oh yeah and is way cheaper.

SkyRom

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2018
I watched this event. I came away ... perplexed, as I often do with Microsoft's work. For one, just as a presentation, it's astonishing how much they are copying Apple's keynotes verbatim now. I guess that's better than the programmer-clinical feel they used to have, but it's pretty blatant, down to the cinematography cuts between shorts.

As for the devices, hmmm. I'm glad the Duo 2 has specs on par with the current gen devices. 5G, Bluetooth 5.1 and Snapdragon 888 are excellent upgrades, along with the improved cameras. Two things keep me from giving it a spin as my main device.

1. It's so damn expensive! $1800 for a non-Apple device is just ... rough.
2. It's still chunkier than I expect from (again) an $1800 device. Why am I looking at Bezels in 2021? Why are the screens wider than a deck of cards pre-fold? I'm already considering downsizing from my iPhone 12 Pro Max, and I just don't want to carry a giant brick in my pocket.

Surface Laptop Studio is ... exciting, fresh, new design. But I don't know about it as a flagship device. I feel like I have to choose between weak specs as a power business user on the Surface Pro 8 with no graphics upgrade and limited to quad-core processing, or I have to go all-in on this new device. This is something I would try in a store for sure, but I can't see myself paying $3000 for a 2TB version and using it as my sole/primary business device, especially with a MacBook Pro redesign finally coming soon.

My other issue with the device is the Surface Book was actually amazing, and just needed smaller bezels and updated internals, at most maybe keyboard upgrades and a faster graphics-switching response time to make it seamless. 120 hz is excellent for refresh though.

Surface Pro 8. Seems fine for whoever needs it. It has never made sense to me to get a laptop that I can't use in my literal *lap*, but everyone I know who has one loves it. *shrug*

Overall, I give Microsoft a 7/10 for keeping up with the competition, updating all their devices, and releasing Windows 11 on time, which seems strong. If they had updated the Surface Studio and dropped the price, maybe I'd buy a new machine for work. At least they finally have a "full" ecosystem that's supported: tablets, phone, laptops, desktops, bud and studio style headphones. It's a start, but for a trillion dollar monopoly, I'd like to see them catch up faster.

Last edited:

fyun89

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2014
If you get a Surface Studio laptop, just don't even remotely spill anything onto the work surface or allow a drink to condensate in its glass next to it - why? Because it'll go right into the vents at the bottom. I don't know this was a good design decision?
View attachment 1840417
Almost every laptops have vents on the side, close to bottom. Including mbp. Not sure what the new issue is here.

On another note, I find it funny they never show the back side of the laptop lol

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
Certainly ugly, but no worse than the camera bump on the iPhone or that ugly battery case you can get for it.
camera bump is an phenomena now, everybody is using that..battery case is an optional and its magneticaly attached
Microsoft is going backwards and shows that cooling pads are still a thing with intel, while Apple is embracing the future

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.