Microsoft has shunned USB-C from its new laptop, what does that mean for the future and for MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hieveryone, May 15, 2017.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

As pretty much everyone knows when Apple released its latest MacBook Pro, there were people outraged that it had dropped ports and was focusing on USB-C

Microsoft, on the other hand, seems to be betting that USB-C will NOT pickup steam soon and instead is sticking with traditional ports for its new laptop.

What does this mean for the future?

What if Microsoft wins the "port war" and Apple brings back traditional ports?

2. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I don't think it will matter that much

USB-C is catching on in general, quite well. One MS laptop, for one generation (possibly more but that remains to be seen) however popular it may be, won't stop this standardized port from increasing in general adoption

3. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Lots of devices have moved over to C. Additionally when a smaller port is needed/thunderbolt is incorporated they will have no choice but to include it. As a side note Microsoft probably was developing their machine well before 6 months ago.

4. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Android has really taken on USB-C, and I applaud that. And partially envy that.

5. Skika macrumors 68030

There is no port war, USB-C is the new standard.

6. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

finally a good port that is here to stay. I am a cheerleader of USB-C.

its almost like its the next USB standard following USB-A in terms of its ubiquity or something..

7. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

The problem I have with USB-C is largely that I work in the "now" and the "now" is not USB-C for the most part.

One day I'll be excited about it, but not at this time.

8. leman macrumors 604

What it means that Microsoft are cheap ***, trying to have higher margins than Apple ever had. Its simply a money making strategy. They price their laptop as premium range while using lower-end, cheaper components.

And while it might further slow down the adoption of USB-C, nothing changes the fact that USB-C is the new official USB port and the industry is slowly but surely moving everything to it.

9. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Dang that sucks!

I slapped two adapters on the two peripherals I use, am used to it from rMB since around launch, and now have a nifty Nintendo Switch I piggyback charges off of my apple chargers

woo

10. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Sounds nice to have only 2 peripherals to worry about.
    ;-)

Sadly we have hundreds around our office.

11. Dave245 macrumors 601

To be honest i think it means what it always does, Apple removes something from a device, there is controversy people complain, people buy the devices then later realise it's not too bad and then a couple of years down the line the cycle starts over again.
    I do understand why some people are annoyed that Apple removed ports from the MacBook Pro an even the 12" MacBook when it was first announced, but i do think Apple see the future as wireless the only problem is the rest of the industry isn't that far a head in terms of peripherals that people use on these devices which results in people using dongles. Give it more time an it will probably become a standard resulting in other companies (such as Microsoft) also making the leap.

12. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Microsoft asked it's users, simple as that...

Q-6

13. leman macrumors 604

Like in "do you want to pay tons of money for a laptop without decent connectivity and a cheap CPU so we can earn a healthy margin"? I bet they did ;)

14. dhw01 macrumors newbie

Doesn't mean anything...both USBC & old ports will still coexist for a while.

15. jinnyman macrumors member

USB-C is a real winner. The only thing I'm not satisfied is PD feature which is not yet wide spread with decent third party high capacity cable.

16. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

The major outcry was the complete disregard of old preipherials when releasing new the new MBP. USB-A to USB-C is a transition periode, and Apple acted as if it didn't matter. But for professionals, it certainly did matter, as they have an USB-A based ecosystem and has had it for many years and the vast majority didn't want to shell out $$$ buying dongles. Heck, some things are still really hard to find, as there are almost no producers. Just try to find out how many produce USB-C mice and keyboards.

In reality, a MBP similar to the old model, but with half of the USB-A ports transitioned into TB3 ports instead would have made everyone happy, and Apple could then switch to a complete USB-C lineup in the next model. Or, gasp, Apple could do more regular updates to their products so people wouldn't be forced to buy 2 year old technology at over-the-top prices.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It means makers like Apple, Dell, HP , etc are using USB-C and Microsoft isn't. Why read more into something that is not there.

lol, there are no port wars. MS made a decision that they went with a legacy port over the future. I don't know why, but I do question their logic just because it is the future.

18. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

So, sometimes I think we forget how business works (me included). At some point Apple has to say, ok so we release this MacBook Pro or wait until xyz conditions are satisfied? They can't do everything, so they have to make some choices. Releasing it before they upgraded everything else seemed to be the choice they made. What if they had not released a new MacBook Pro at all?

19. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

You actually think that Apple would have earned less money by releasing the model I proposed above?

Of course not. But my example would have still have catered to both Apple and the consumers.

I think we can stay away from hypothetical scenarios that would never have happened.

20. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

I know you quoted me here, but your response doesn't really make much sense.

21. Closingracer macrumors 68000

It's not a device for high price margins but more for a reference for windows 10s and geeks who can afford it like buying bottle water to mess around with. Windows 10s is similar to windows 8 RT in essence. At least that is what I gathered about windows 10S

22. fokmik macrumors 65816

So that means those users are far behind of what usb-c/TB3 means

23. Closingracer macrumors 68000

Or no practical device supports USB C like mice and so forth. I just bought a new mouse the logitech mx master which I know has bluetooth but I use the receiver which is USB A not USB C. The charger that came with my phone is not USB C as well nor do I feel the need to buy a special cable to use USB C when my iPhone doesn't gain anything from it. Also no car that I know of has a USB C port. Also if we want to start talking about USB C as the next standard Apple better use it instead of making us buy these over priced lightning cables.... Even Anker branded cables are usually around 2-3 dollars more than the micro USB cable of the same length. Also goes for USB C ones as well.

Also apparently being silenced because I'm no Apple fanboy who solely thinks Apple is the best ( far from it)

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, and business users are even further back. I have work PCs that still come with PS/2 style ports.

25. fokmik macrumors 65816

so to have usb-c along side with usb-a is far worse than no usb-c? come on..like i said those users were high. If microsoft asked here, we would opt for both to have
    --- Post Merged, May 16, 2017 ---
    Depends on the business. thank god i moved on. I will replace all of my devices when the new imac is released