Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

OneDrive-icon-250x250.jpg
Microsoft is raising the upload file size limit of its OneDrive file storage service to 250GB, up from the previous 100GB limit, the company has announced.

Microsoft says it is making the change to acknowledge the increase in remote working and learning, where users need to reliably and securely share large files like 4K or 8K video files, 3D models, CAD files, or large scientific data sets with co-workers, clients, and peers.
We are pleased to announce that we're making it easier than ever for you to store, sync, and share large files in Microsoft 365. Our latest improvement will help increase the upload file size limit for Microsoft 365 from 100 GB to 250 GB—which includes uploads of files into SharePoint, Teams, and OneDrive. So now, you will be able to easily share large files like a 3D model of a new building, a client commercial shot in 8K video, a large dataset for a vaccine trial or research projects or large videos for educational projects.
Microsoft explained that the change isn't limited to business and school users – anyone who uses OneDrive can now take advantage of the new 250GB file size limit for uploading things like video albums and large game files.

The company says it has managed to raise the upload limit by splitting each file into chunks, with each piece encrypted with a unique key. In addition, syncing large files has been optimized with the help of differential sync, which only uploads the changes that users make to the stored file.

Support for the new 250GB file size upload will roll out by the end of January, and Microsoft expects general availability of the new limit by end of this quarter.

Article Link: Microsoft Increases OneDrive File Size Upload Limit to 250GB

Reactions: decypher44

Racco151

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2020
Yay now everybody can whine again about Apple’s storage policy. Storage can’t be free, just like Google’s services. If it’s free, you are the product.
But Microsoft 365 isn't free. It's 99€ p.a. (EU) But you can add 6 People and each will get 1TB Storage plus full access to Microsoft Office. Using it 7 Years now and I think it's a pretty good deal.

AmazeSE

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2017
Yay, now everybody can whine again about Apple’s storage policy. Storage can’t be free, just like Google’s services. If it’s free, you are the product.

Apple could at least increase the free base storage to 15 GB. 5 GB in 2021 in not enough. Plus the use of cloud storage has increased due to this pandemic. The best time to increase it is now.

Edit: Changed Gb to GB

Last edited:

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
This is great news. I use OneDrive a lot. I have about 600GBs of photos and videos from our travels stored on there. The last time I tried to upload a large file was a 45 minute 4K video of a dive in Iceland I did. Unfortunately it was too large at 28GB so I had to downscale it to 1080p and then upload it and it was only just under the 15GB limit.

I wasn’t aware that they had increased it to 100GB as I’ve always had the 15GB limit in my head.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: BigMcGuire

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
i hate one drive. it sucks even on windows 10. i stopped using it and just back my stuff up to a hard drive. less hassle.

5GB on my iphone is so far more than enough. i've been away from iOS for 7 years so maybe once my photo library increases i might think about upgrading. whenever i take a video i just download it onto my PC. i downloaded some games (genshin impact/wild rift) and they wanted to back up to iCloud but i turned them off. i don't need to back up that stuff. if i did the total size of my icloud would be ~11GB.

it would be nice if they at least matched the 15GB from Google but i ain't gonna grumble about paying 80p/month for 50GB lol.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
i hate one drive. it sucks even on windows 10. i stopped using it and just back my stuff up to a hard drive. less hassle.
No problems with OneDrive for me on Windows 10. It's my preferred cloud system. I get it free through work. I also get Dropbox and Google Drive for free through work but OneDrive works the best for me using Windows, macOS, and iOS so I've stuck with it. Dropbox is pretty good but doesn't integrate quite as well on Windows.

pers0n

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2014
If you signed up for OneDrive long ago you got 30gb free. Then they were going to kill it, people complained and MS put out an email saying you could keep your 30gb free if you signed in within a certain period. I still have my free 30gb. Google gives 15gb. Apple is always stingy on things, but thats how they make their money.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Sure, but I don’t understand why Apple doesn’t offer anything between 200gb and 2TB. 500GB or 1TB seems to be the right amount for many people.
That's the reason. You don't offer exactly what people want. You offer them a bit less, and charge more for a lot more. That way most people will always "upsize," just like how McDonald set their meal pricing. :D

Remember when Apple iPhones starts at 16GB, but then jumps to 64GB. It's to nudge people into the higher margin SKU.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
If you signed up for OneDrive long ago you got 30gb free. Then they were going to kill it, people complained and MS put out an email saying you could keep your 30gb free if you signed in within a certain period. I still have my free 30gb. Google gives 15gb. Apple is always stingy on things, but thats how they make their money.
Apple is not bad. Dropbox only offers 2GB free from back when till now. 5GB is the norm (Apple iCloud, non-legacy Microsoft 365, etc). Google can offer 15GB because, well, you know.

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
With the amount I use Office, Microsoft 365 is a steal since I also get Over 1tb Cloud Storage, miss the unlimited though, and free skype mns each month which I use for the fam overseas. Plus sync on demand is amazing for low storage devices.

Also it is kinda sleazy for Apple to only give 5gb as the free option when thats less than iDrive from itools gave you in 2003

Last edited:

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia

5GB on my iphone is so far more than enough. i've been away from iOS for 7 years so maybe once my photo library increases i might think about upgrading. whenever i take a video i just download it onto my PC. i downloaded some games (genshin impact/wild rift) and they wanted to back up to iCloud but i turned them off. i don't need to back up that stuff. if i did the total size of my icloud would be ~11GB.

it would be nice if they at least matched the 15GB from Google but i ain't gonna grumble about paying 80p/month for 50GB lol.
OneDrive works fine on my Windows machines. Have been using it since way back when, before it's even called OneDrive (SkyDrive I think?). The current OneDrive system on Windows (and I believe newer Mac OS) is that the File Manager will list all files without physically download the files. The system will auto download when needed (eg I double click on the file). This saves local disk space without having to do manual work.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Been using it since the SkyDrive days.
Every phone and computer I have is using it.
We just started using it for file sharing and backups at work and have no issues with it either.
It just works. ?

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
Apple is not bad. Dropbox only offers 2GB free from back when till now. 5GB is the norm (Apple iCloud, non-legacy Microsoft 365, etc). Google can offer 15GB because, well, you know.
Don’t know if they still do, but when I joined Dropbox offered lots of easy ways to up the free storage. Invite friends, install the app, things like that. My base free storage with them is like 12GB now. Wish Apple at least did that with device purchases. Even if tiered (least for AirPods, most for Mac Pro) it would be a nod to consumers.

Our uni recently went all-in on OneDrive and it’s a good product. It works better, in fact, than the native Files app on my iPad. So far my only substantive complaint is that MS seems to have brought their file-name limits over with them. Limited characters, no spaces to start the file name. I’ve never understood that particular restriction.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I use both Mac and PC, Onedrive works fine on both for me, far fewer limitations on OneDrive than iCloud. Just does what it is supposed to do.

BlendedFrog

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
Don’t know if they still do, but when I joined Dropbox offered lots of easy ways to up the free storage. Invite friends, install the app, things like that. My base free storage with them is like 12GB now. Wish Apple at least did that with device purchases. Even if tiered (least for AirPods, most for Mac Pro) it would be a nod to consumers.

Our uni recently went all-in on OneDrive and it’s a good product. It works better, in fact, than the native Files app on my iPad. So far my only substantive complaint is that MS seems to have brought their file-name limits over with them. Limited characters, no spaces to start the file name. I’ve never understood that particular restriction.
Same with me. Back when dropbox did those offers for free upgrades to the storage, I got mine up to 22gb. Even though they dropped it back down to 2gb for the free tier, mine is still at 22gb.

Reactions: thefourthpope
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.