Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeremysteele

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2011
I'm sure Senior Network Architect.. lets call him "Brad" who was spontaneously laid off last week after working in the Operations team at Microsoft for 14 years could've stopped a bad network change.

But no whippersnapper Cloud Network Engineer, with two years of experience "Tom" definitely never saw that coming.
I've worked with engineers who have 20+ years of experience and can barely turn on their freaking computer.

Years != Ability to do the job

vegetassj4

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2014
Clippy has gone sentient after years of ridicule

6885120F-AA61-4773-AA9A-8751299C0A76.jpeg

Danfango

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2022
London, UK
I'm sure Senior Network Architect.. lets call him "Brad" who was spontaneously laid off last week after working in the Operations team at Microsoft for 14 years could've stopped a bad network change.

But no whippersnapper Cloud Network Engineer, with two years of experience "Tom" definitely never saw that coming.

This isn't a matter of experience at all. It's a bad process control model.

The side effects of the change were not properly engineered, understood, tested and qualified. Never should the departure of any engineer or their experience result in the outcome that they had.

Reactions: BellSystem

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
From the picture with the story, it looks like Velma was able to join the teams meeting just fine.

• Haha
Reactions: Razorpit

kingtj1971

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2021
Alton, IL
Microsoft Azure is completely borked which is what they build on top of, as do a lot of other people.

Again.

Thank goodness we're on AWS. It's not our day to go down today 🤣

Edit: I love the downvote on this because it's actually factual and reported in the tech community elsewhere as well 🤦🏻‍♂️

We're 100% on Microsoft Azure/O365 here and yeah, outages are becoming increasingly common. Just last week, they pushed a broken rule out to Windows Defender that caused all the PCs on our domain to pop up error boxes and refuse to launch any applications people tried to use from the taskbar or desktop shortcuts. We had random users reporting issues with Teams the week before that, where they were unable to join meetings/calls. (Microsoft fixed that after 4-5 days of some tech notes saying the problem "affecting some users" was under investigation.)

Reactions: Danfango

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
When iCloud goes down, nobody complains. Instead they say, oh, just go outside and take a break. Please, stop with your hypocrisy. Remember, Apple is the company that nearly sent people over a cliff in 2012 with Maps.

• Disagree
Reactions: StuBeck and Stewie

AF_APPLETALK

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2020
Microsoft Azure is completely borked which is what they build on top of, as do a lot of other people.

Again.

Thank goodness we're on AWS. It's not our day to go down today 🤣

Edit: I love the downvote on this because it's actually factual and reported in the tech community elsewhere as well 🤦🏻‍♂️
Azure also wasn’t as reliable as AWS in my experience, both in terms of service and in terms of their admin panel/console.

Razorpit

Suspended
Feb 2, 2021

But at least the new staff is more {} and willing to work for a pittance. /s

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Teams was fine for me this morning but outlook was showing an error message. It resolved itself after a short while though.

Scipster

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2020
This would never happen to Apple, in part because no one uses FaceTime or iCloud mail in enterprise environments :p

mingoglia

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2009
I remember in the early days of my career supporting on prem Exchange. If mail went down for 10 mins once in 3 years, the executives would absolutely lose their minds. Now they happen every so often and no one really seems to care. "The cloud is down. It's affecting everyone. Nothing we can do", is an acceptable answer.

Reactions: namavadhuta
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.