Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Microsoft Launches Free 30-Day Trials of Office 2011

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Microsoft today announced that it has launched free 30-day trial licenses for Office for Mac 2011, offering users the ability to test drive the popular productivity suite before committing to a purchase.
If you're still thinking about Office 2011, I'm happy to announce we now have a full trial available at www.microsoft.com/mac/trial, free to use for 30-days after download. We know it's important for some of you to be able to test out new features. For those that will be trying the suite for the first time, we hope you enjoy some of the new items - Outlook for Mac, new co-authoring tools, Excel's Sparklines, Dynamic Reorder in Word & PowerPoint, and more.
Office Senior Director of Product Management Pat Fox also notes that sales of Office for Mac 2011 since the new version debuted in late October have exceeded the company's internal sales goals so far.

For those who have already decided to purchase the suite or who opt to do so after giving the trial version a test, Amazon offers discounts on all Office packages:

- Office Mac Home Student 2011 - 1 Pack ($99.99)
- Office Mac Home Student Family Pack 2011 ($124.25)

- Microsoft Office for Mac Home and Business 2011 - 1 Pack ($174.99)
- Office Mac Home Business Multi Pack 2011 ($228.43)

Note: Purchases through these links financially benefit this site.

Article Link: Microsoft Launches Free 30-Day Trials of Office 2011

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
30 day trial for a slow version of Office. Just enough time for you to realize you should buy iWork from the App Store.

Comment

Moomba

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Office 2011 is pretty decent, but certainly not for the price. For 99% of everything Pages and the rest of iWork is more then plenty. However, for professional settings maintaining cross platform compatibility 2011 is helpful. Basically, I'd say it's good for business clients, but not so much for students and your average user.

Still a 30day trial is a good thing. PC's have had it for Office for a while now...

Comment

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London
This story has the word 'Microsoft' in the title, therefore I am compelled to make a derogatory remark about MS and how awful anything they have ever done is.

Alternatively, I could actually read this article and point out what a good idea offering a 30 day trial is and that MS Office for Mac is a good piece of software.

Comment

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
If it's not on the Mac App Store, I'm not buying it. I don't want Microsoft scattering files all over my computer. :eek:

Comment

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
I only got office because I was able to get it for $89 because of the student discount. NOrmal price was $279 since it includes Outlook.

Comment

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Okay.

1. How on earth is this page 1 news?
2. Why on earth did it take m$ so long to release a trial version?

Comment

samh

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2009
Frustrating as I was just looking for the demo last week. I ended up caving and just buying the Academic edition of the software outright because I got tired of Pages and the Parallels/Office2007 combo. Would have been nice to be able to pilot the software first, as there were a couple of surprises for me.

So far, though, I suppose I don't regret it. I haven't used Pages since...

Comment

ralphdaily

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2008
Birmingham, AL
30 day free trial is a plus

The 30 day free trial sounds good for people trying it out. I have used Office 2011 for a few months now and enjoy it. It's a step up from Office 2008 and faster. I also have iWork '09 but like Office better.

Comment

BC2009

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2009
If iWork suite for iPad was fully compatible with the files produced by the desktop equivalents, then I would likely do all my work in iWork and just export it to some open format when sharing with non-iWork users.

However, I find I end up using OpenOffice for Mac for most things simply because the format is easy to share and the suite is "good enough" for most stuff. But there is very little iPad and iPhone support for OpenOffice formats with a few apps having ODT to DOC converters built-in so you can view files in the built-in viewer.

I would love to see OpenOffice for iOS, but then I'm sure some copyright owner who believes in the "free software" mantra will scream that you cannot use his code on iOS because of the built-in app-store restrictions, DRM, etc....

A free trial of MS Office for Mac is a good thing, but I cannot see paying for it just to add the ability to handle the MS Office files natively without conversion to OpenOffice or iWork.

Comment

archipellago

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
open office (libreoffice) is so much better than ms office thou iwork is the greatest office suit there is.

Eh.? It's barely useable in any vaguely professional way. A pointless app.

Views on MS aside, iWork is a joke if you want to make money with office/ analytical stuff.

Shambles

Comment

Tailpike1153

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
Bellevue, WA
I'll be getting a copy. More and more people under my SLA are moving to Macs. So yay for Apple. Now if I can get a MBP, then I'll really be happy.

Comment

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
For those of us that have used ms office for a long time it is good to have it available for the mac.

Comment

Greg McBride

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2007
This version of Office for Mac is great! :D

I agree. They finally released a version for Mac that I actually really like. It's fast, stable, and feels a little more "Mac-ish" than prior releases. I still prefer Pages for my personal documents, but for biz, Office 2011 gets a thumbs up from me!

Comment

RawBert

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2010
North Hollywood, CA
I had Office 04 for Mac. Last weekend I got 2011 and it's a HUGE improvement. For me, it's even faster than the 2007 PC version I use at work.

Comment

JAQ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
Purgatory MI
Conveniently, the new release of LibreOffice 3.3 is also available today, with a free 30-billion-day trial. Worth considering, especially if you prefer the traditional (non-ribbon) Office interface.

Comment

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Having tinkered around with this I can say it's VASTLY superior to MacOffice '09 or whatever the previous version was. All programs are pretty decent however Outlook (which is the primary reason I got this) is pretty slow and hangs a lot. Still though, happy to have this now for Mac.

Comment

Ubuntu

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
Eh, Office for Mac isn't the greatest.

What is, then? In regards to the Mac platform Office 2011 blows both Pages and Open Office out of the window. Critics will say its bloated especially when compared to Pages but the fact is it has alot more functionality and I prefer it to Office 2010 (for PC) as it actually seems to have some nice mac OS polish.

Have you even tried it?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.