Microsoft Messenger for Mac 6.0 Released!

dreamsINdigital

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Messenger for Mac 6.0 makes it easy to take advantage of the full power of instant messaging, and it is a Universal application built to run on both PowerPC-based and Intel-based Macs. This update allows Messenger for Mac users to:

* Chat with Yahoo! Messenger contacts
* Add a status message that your personal contacts can see
* Share what you are listening to in iTunes with your personal contacts
* Create, send, and receive custom emoticons with personal contacts
* Send and receive custom animated emoticons with personal contacts
* Search for conversation histories using Spotlight
* Check the spelling in your instant messages

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.aspx?pid=download&location=/mac/download/misc/messenger60_download.xml

No video support. :(

baleensavage

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
On an island in Maine
I don't know why Microsoft doesn't just be done with it and either allow Apple to put MSN Messenger into iChat or set up something with Adium like they did Flip4Mac. MSN Messenger on Mac has always been a supbar chat application and the fact that they still don't have video is just rediculous.

KevKaos

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2006
Baltimore, Maryland USA
baleensavage said:
I don't know why Microsoft doesn't just be done with it and either allow Apple to put MSN Messenger into iChat or set up something with Adium like they did Flip4Mac. MSN Messenger on Mac has always been a supbar chat application and the fact that they still don't have video is just rediculous.
Just another reason why I want to move to Mac and away from Microsoft. Don't get me wrong, I like MSN Messenger and use it every week, but once I move to Mac and make the switch to Sightspeed or Skype, I won't want to look back.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Gone but not forgotten.
Why do they continue to claim that status messages are something new? They're already in the current version.

Interesting, the status message field that was being updated on version 5.1.1 wasn't captured and the personal message field I was updating on version 6.0 wasn't captured, either.

Attachments

nadyne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
Mountain View, CA USA
baleensavage said:
In case you're interested in the decision-making process about A/V in Messenger:Mac, there's a post to Mac Mojo, the Macintosh Business Unit team blog, that discusses this. It's Messenger: haves and hA/Ve nots.

Regards,
Nadyne.

--
Nadyne Mielke | user experience researcher
Microsoft Corporation | Macintosh Business Unit
http://blogs.msdn.com/nadyne/

2Sticky

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2005
UK
When I try to start a convo it just crashes and brings up the error report.

Where can I get the old version?

Caris

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2006
Alot better than the old one, but still crap compared to Live messenger.

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia
Chat with Yahoo! Messenger contacts-I'm happy to have this.

iChat in Leopard should have this too, if Apple will do a similar deal with Yahoo!, like what MS has done

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
nadyne said:
In case you're interested in the decision-making process about A/V in Messenger:Mac, there's a post to Mac Mojo, the Macintosh Business Unit team blog, that discusses this. It's Messenger: haves and hA/Ve nots.

Regards,
Nadyne.

--
Nadyne Mielke | user experience researcher
Microsoft Corporation | Macintosh Business Unit
http://blogs.msdn.com/nadyne/

Thanks.

And I know you're not going to believe this, but I always end up sticking up for the MacBU whenever a "Microsoft sux at making Mac software" post arises. I'm sure it isn't as easy to do as it sounds, which is why Mercury IM has always been so horrid at video, and why aMSN is very very average.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
No video. No games

New features with MSN Messager for the Mac:

* Updated Version from 5.1.1 to 6.0
* Changed Icon to include a ligher blue
* Executable is now 17k smaller
* Installer asks you if you want to install it
* Same old crap included
* Blah blah blah

I wish Microsoft would just let Apple use their iChat to communicate with Messenger accounts and support video.

Neuro

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2003
London
Hmm, it took 20 mins of cpu hogging to update my existing conversation history, lol. I couldn't do anything else.

Still, I think it's a nice (and now better) IM app. I honestly don't know anyone who uses video messaging on a regular basis and I'm sure MS realise there will be better options on the Mac for video (and PCs), so why invest the dev time.

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
Well I've now removed it. It constantly crashed as soon as I tried to open a conversation window. I tried rebooting and reparing permissions, even did a reinstall... twice! Still crashes without being able to do anything with the programme. How weird

Jay

steebu

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2005
I've managed to remove the Windows Live logos from the Contact List and IM windows. It was actually very easy. I even got fancy and changed the one in the contact list to the old rainbow apple logo.

SMRT!

Attachments

Elrond39

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2005
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Nermal said:
Adium is installed, but still no tabs.

:rolleyes:
Hahaha.
In Adium preferences, General and select the option in there.
... I think you see where I'm going, yes? I really don't like MSN:Mac... strangely enough, when I try to send files over Adium, it's not working. So I'm forced back to MSN.

the Western zoo

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2006
Aarhus C, Denmark
I like messenger for mac!! the 5.(somthing) was tooo slow running on my macbook but this update is rather nice!!

who needs video conversation?? I have a video cellphone but would never use this feature - video conversation is only for perverts who want to show each others thier genitalia! ;)
and tabs?? tabs is nice for browsing but not for chatting cause you're bound to overlook that someone has written to you and they get mad and ban you!! :D

I even prefer this "worse than the windows-version" to the windows-version, cause it's better looking and there's no annoying "wink"-functions and what not! I would say the only thing I don't like is the "Windows LIVE"-logo all over the place....!

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
Vancouver
just think, it only took like 10 months for them to make messenger an universal program...and it's still buggy...let's see how the universal office runs.

the Western zoo

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2006
Aarhus C, Denmark
steebu said:
I've managed to remove the Windows Live logos from the Contact List and IM windows. It was actually very easy. I even got fancy and changed the one in the contact list to the old rainbow apple logo.

SMRT!
I was just wondering... how did you do this?? or was it just a cruel joke made in photoshop?? :)